What's new

Lauri Markkanen, no longer considered untouchable?

Lauri is the perfect addition to every team in the league. There will be an an insane offer for his services sometime before the trading deadline.

Article
There was already a post in the news section, over 8 hours before you posted this, saying he's not really on the block, just, they're not automatically laughing and hanging up if a caller says his name.

And, why do you hope it's true?
first. I never go there so I never knew it was there. Second never said he was on the block

Lauri Elias Markkanen stands at the crossroads of cause and effect. The cause: Daniel Ray Ainge seeking supplemental assets, the effect, our Finnish colleague being trade bait. We cannot derive an ought from an is without recourse to a vacuous disjunctive syllogism, yet me thinks we ought not to trade L.E.M without receiving “haul” level derivatives as recompense.

Lauri Elias Markkanen stands at the crossroads of cause and effect. The cause: Daniel Ray Ainge seeking supplemental assets, the effect, our Finnish colleague being trade bait. We cannot derive an ought from an is without recourse to a vacuous disjunctive syllogism, yet me thinks we ought not to trade L.E.M without receiving “haul” level derivatives as recompense.
I double dare you to write ONE message, that's not super formal, old English!

OK, fine, but why do you hope it's true?
I don’t see us building a championship level team in his time line. If you just want a good team that wins 45-50+ games a year then trading Markkanen would be dumb. I however only care about championships at this stage of my life. Markkanen isn’t that guy that will carry us to those heights. That’s not a slight on Markkanen, but he’s not that level of a star.

It may be a bit of an eccentric feeling, but it’s championship or bust for me and realistically, I just don’t see that happening if we stay on this route. Adding 3-4 more picks and maybe a prospect with potential gives us firepower to get a star and still a fighters chance to get lucky in the draft.

I don’t see us building a championship level team in his time line. If you just want a good team that wins 45-50+ games a year then trading Markkanen would be dumb. I however only care about championships at this stage of my life. Markkanen isn’t that guy that will carry us to those heights. That’s not a slight on Markkanen, but he’s not that level of a star.

It may be a bit of an eccentric feeling, but it’s championship or bust for me and realistically, I just don’t see that happening if we stay on this route. Adding 3-4 more picks and maybe a prospect with potential gives us firepower to get a star and still a fighters chance to get lucky in the draft.

I feel the exact same way. Lauri is really good but he's a number 2 type guy and without a legit number 1 to compliment him then you are going to max out in that 45-50 win range. For me there are 2 teams that make sense trade wise and that is the nets and thunder. Those clipper picks and swaps and the suns picks could be special. I think the odds are though that our best shot at getting a franchise guy comes from our own pick in 25 or 26 and moving Lauri for future assets and unproven young guys increases those odds. I've been a jazz fan for 34 years and for most of those years we had good teams but only a couple that I thought were championship caliber and that was 26 years ago. I never once thought the Dwill/Boozer or Mitchell/Gobert teams actually had a chance to win a title. It is time for us to stay patient and spend these next few years in talent and asset acquisition mode to give us as many opportunities as possible to put together a game changing young core. That is the way I feel about it at least.

Last edited:
I'm starting to reverse the course on the likeliness of Markkanen being traded. While I initially thought it makes little sense, my main argument was that even if he is eventually traded he will be more valuable in the future.

He wont add accolades such as All-star selections this year (even if finnish people go crazy, media wont vote for him). Also last year his value build up was unreal, so the FO could worry that there is a bubble in his value. He also might not get statistically equal year than what he did with the better group last year, and the team record will also likely reflect negatively on his value next offseason if we end up pulling a deep tank (which looks likely atm).

Also I keep hearing the "Jazz dont need to trade him" from the water carrying guys. Using the word "need" imo is sort of like saying "we want to trade him, but we are in no rush". I mean if they actually still thought he was a building block they would say "stop calling". "Other teams reporting Jazz is willing to listen" is also a familiar phrase.

View: https://x.com/wojespn/status/1546972364348329985?s=20
I think if some of the offers thrown around that are like 3 FRP + 2 nice kids is being put to the table, DA probably pulls the trigger.

IMO he's as good as gone. Lauri's timeline simply separates too much from the team's, which is something I already pointed out last season. This was set in stone when we decided to tank instead of reinforcing the team and going hard for the playoffs. That was the crossroads.

I doubt Ainge will get equal value back. It will be a "haul", but not a short-term one.

Last edited: