What's new

Lauri Markkanen, no longer considered untouchable?

Look at this post on Facebook https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-...2gZz9J4RlYSbLDBRY1qqWDfkD8#lqebvbn0sbog00vb2s

Just read this. Lauri quote from article:
“Yeah. And I’ve been traded, I guess, technically three times with draft night included,” Markkanen said. “Sometimes I knew about it. Sometimes I didn’t. So I kind of learned the business side of basketball. I’ve kind of learned to just go day by day and really put the work in and try to play to the best of my abilities and whatever happens happens, really.

“Like I said, I love being in Utah and it’s a compliment of what you’ve done in the past (that teams have interest). We’ll see. But yeah, I just want to emphasize that I really believe in what we’re building here with the Jazz. Go day by day. Do your best. That’s all you can do.”

Love it.
Even if I understand the logic behind trading him if the offer is great it would really hurt to see him gone. He is easy to build around and seems like a perfect person for a market like Utah. I think we would look at it in future and say "if only we had Lauri 3 years earlier or later".

I feel DA is not that high on Lauri. Otherwise why say “we will listen to offers “ when you truly got your guy. You don’t hear pacers say this to Halliburton. Maybe that’s the level of player DA is looking for. I’m 50/50 on this

I feel DA is not that high on Lauri. Otherwise why say “we will listen to offers “ when you truly got your guy. You don’t hear pacers say this to Halliburton. Maybe that’s the level of player DA is looking for. I’m 50/50 on this
Nah, DA is just standing at the point where the path forks: he has to decide which route to take.

uhh when has Ainge said "we will listen to offers"

he told Lauri to buy a house lol

Will be interesting to see can Lauri get back to his all star level,next season. Without military summer disturbing. His first step is slower than last season, and has been more timid all season long. And which team will reap the benefits.

uhh when has Ainge said "we will listen to offers"

he told Lauri to buy a house lol
It was probably leaked, a rumor, it doesn’t matter who said it. It’s already out there and it’s buzzing. Jazz FO phone should be getting calls as we speak. Even if da told Lauri to buy a house would you trust him? We are in the era of lying doesn’t matter, trophy does.

I was in the camp of ''DA is a genius'' but i start to wonder if there is a real clear strategy behind this. He say Lauri was a masterpiece and seems to be ready to trade him. He say he want a quick rebuild after throwing Rudy/Don, which mean for me 2-3 years time. We were bad last year, bad this year and don't see how we can be good before a long while.... maybe after all, DA is not the genius i tought he was.

Will be interesting to see can Lauri get back to his all star level,next season. Without military summer disturbing. His first step is slower than last season, and has been more timid all season long. And which team will reap the benefits.
Compared to start of the season His first step looked a lot quicker last night. Was able to get to his spots at ease and had one very explosive dunk.

The ************ said 5 first. That's a ******** of confidence

Lauri's play this year isn't grabbing you a Gobert/Mitchell package. I largely don't believe a half season of play influences value too much, but when you only have one great season under your belt it does.

Lauri is not netting 4-5 first

Lauri's play this year isn't grabbing you a Gobert/Mitchell package. I largely don't believe a half season of play influences value too much, but when you only have one great season under your belt it does.

No he isnt, but Danny isnt looking for that many either. Five picks is the manufacturers reference price, not the market price.

What I dont know is if he wants to trade him or not. That one is unclear. "Not needing to trade him" is just leverage talk. I'm not surprised if Lauri stays, nor am I shocked if DA accepts something like 2 good FRPs and 1 good young player (which sort of just reveals that he actually wanted to trade him).

He's not

But below 3 firsts (especially for a team like Miami that is forever good, so they give you 2 picks and those are 2 picks in the twenties), a swap or 2 and between 1 or 2 young players that are at least yet to show what their potential looks like as was with Kessler or Ochai (don't even need to have crazy upside attached to them, as Kessler and Ochai didn't, just not be young pieces that at this point it's not expected to become a big thing even at a especialized role, like Moody, Kuminga, Giddey), then it's not worthy entertaining.

OKC would pay 4. One of them might be our own but I’m very confident that if we asked for like Dieng, our own pick back and 3 additional firsts it would be a done deal.

No he isnt, but Danny isnt looking for that many either. Five picks is the manufacturers reference price, not the market price.

What I dont know is if he wants to trade him or not. That one is unclear. "Not needing to trade him" is just leverage talk. I'm not surprised if Lauri stays, nor am I shocked if DA accepts something like 2 good FRPs and 1 good young player (which sort of just reveals that he actually wanted to trade him).
If Danny or someone in the org said 5 firsts that is a call to OKC basically. I don’t know that they care about volume as much as quantity. The GS deal I outlined earlier would technically be 2 firsts and 2 swaps but the quality is good enough imo to make a move if you want. Some folks count swaps as picks too… so the accounting can vary a bit.

OKC has like 15-17 firsts iirc. They would be a legit title contender with Lauri. What are you doing with that many stacking that many picks if you have a chance to open up like a 6-7 year window right now.

Lauri's been playing well again this season. He got injured and was out for a while and then on limited minutes but looked good last night. Compared to the last season, we haven't seen him cut through the paint for dunks nearly as much because our guards can't read these plays and can't make the passes. If you go back and look how Conley did it (often with bounce passes), you see where we are lacking at the moment. Also, Lauri has to run around much more because there's always someone on him and chasing him. But he seems to be handling it pretty well as he's fast enough to shake his defenders off. We just don't have guards who can find him. If Danny ends up keeping Lauri, I'm pretty sure finding a more experienced and capable point guard will be on top of his list. I have high hopes with Key, but it will take more time with him.

His individual numbers are almost exactly in line with last season. There is no drop-off to speak of. He's playing slightly less minutes, has a smaller usage % and is spending more time on the perimeter instead of putting pressure on the interior D. With the presence of Collins as well as the increased defensive attention, none of this is a surprise. But he's still averaging 24/9 on elite efficiency. Without context, that's easily All Star territory.

It's true, though, that the perception around the league is probably that Lauri isn't having a great season. The smell of losing permeates everything and Lauri hasn't been the media darling he was last year.

I don't think his trade value has taken a hit. GMs know that wherever he goes, he won't have to carry a team. Most likely he'll be a 2nd/3rd option on a good club. He has a known skill set and he's proven that he can deliver the goods no matter what goes on around him. That's valuable for a contender.