What's new

Legal marijuana - good or bad? Any personal experience?

They don't usually give lifetime patents for these drugs so inevitably what happens is these companies try to push as much product(quarterly) while it's still exclusive, before foreign imitators can flood the market, and as a result of this some giant in the industry; Johnson & Johnson is offering kickbacks to doctors for subscriptions aka commision based sales.. So they get caught, pay the 2.2 billion in the lawsuit and keep it pushing...
just another facet of our amazing healthcare system.

I live in Las Vegas Nevada, where it was just legalized. Do I smoke pot? = No. Did I vote to legalize pot? = Yes.
There are still laws in place that go with its legalization and I have always felt that if people use it for what it is intended for there is not a problem. I think that there are great benefits to it that I have seen first hand with friends and families that suffer from illnesses and arthritis and have seen that it is a healthier alternative to pain medications.
The problem is, people don't use it correctly. Even in Vegas, you are not allowed to smoke it walking down the street, hanging out outside of a grocery store, etc. But people do, all the time. I see, smell and interact with people that use it improperly everyday. It doesn't bother me when it's just me or me and my wife. It bothers me when I have my 6 year old daughter with me and now I have to explain to her (5 years before I thought I would have to explain it to her) why some people in this world are idiots and scumbags. And not because they smoke weed, but how, when and where they choose to smoke week.
Does it help people? Yes
Will idiots abuse it? Of course. Idiots will turn all positives into a negative not just for themselves but for everybody.

What do you have to explain to your daughter? How is it any different than someone who drinks? Or smokes a cigarette? Or drinks a coffee?

Mormons would certainly be discouraged from using it for recreational purposes, and such use would be against the (current, modern interpretation of the) "Word of Wisdom" commandment, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Wisdom.

For medical purposes, it's a much grayer area. Obviously Mormons use drugs medically that would be prohibited by the church for recreational use (opioids, for example). So I suspect most LDS church members and local leaders would be OK with someone using it for legitimate medical purposes--especially if a doctor recommended it. But there's no church policy on it one way or another that I know of. I do recall that the church leaders have come out against a recent proposed law in Utah to legalize medical marijuana, saying that more research needs to be done; see here for example: https://www.deseretnews.com/article...alls-for-more-study-of-medical-marijuana.html.

As a personal example, my wife suffers from chronic pain. If there were any evidence that marijuana would help for her specific condition (which I don't think there is), then both she and I would probably be fine with her trying marijuana to see if it works (assuming the bill in Utah passes). And I'd consider us to be very active, believing LDS church members.

Interestingly enough, and I hadn't thought about this before in this context, the current LDS church president (as of a couple of months ago) is a medical doctor. Obviously retired from that for many years now, but Pres. Nelson was a very highly respected surgeon back in the day. I wonder if that will have any impact on this discussion.

Why is more research needed? Don't they talk to god? Or is god only interested in what the gays are doing (but not the sexual predators in the basement of the MTC)?

I read through the links above and read through section 89 again. Section 89 says beer is ok and meat is to only be used sparingly...actually, it says meat is not to be eaten at all, unless there is a famine or winter or cold, ie no other source of food. Heck, it even talks bout how food is only to be used in times of excess hunger or famine. It talks about wholesome herbs as being made for man as well. It also talks about using all these things in prudence and with thanksgiving. It says it is not an commandment, even though the Church says differently now on all issues. Look at the quorum of the 12 and the first presidency. There is a lot of obesity up there for people following the word of wisdom.

But heaven forbid if they drink a beer (even though WOW says it is ok). But meat, which is forbidden except in times of winter or famine...eat up! And eat in excess! Eat, drink and be merry, am i right?

Forgive me if I don't take very seriously the thoughts of people who can't even figure out what their scriptures say. It's all very inconsistent. Doctrine that seems to blow which ever way the wind blows, depending on the times.

As far as your wife goes, I'd follow the advice over a Dr over a church leader.

And as far as Nelson goes, his license expired in 1992...almost 30 years ago. His medical opinion is very, very limited at this point. Again, not the one I'd be taking medical advice from.

Reactions: MVP
I am sceptical of the opponents to legalization. Big pharma has billions of reasons to oppose it. I'm sceptical of any op ed piece with criticisms against it's lagalization. So many can be bought and paid for by those who oppose it.

I am therefore shocked and heartened to hear that Mitch McConnell has introduced a bill to legalize marijuanna's little brother, hemp. Hemp contains 50 times less thc than pot, but still is on the list of controlled substances. It has many uses and is one of the world's most adaptable plants that grows without harmful effects to the environment. Hemp puts fear in corporate America. Amazing and the natural thing to do when both of these plants are as free to use as is the air we breathe.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill....uld-legalize-hemp-as-agricultural-product?amp

A medical MJ ballot initiative looks like it will be on the ballot this November in Utah. Our legislators won't act so we'll give them something far beyond what they would have ever considered.

But I assume, even though medical MJ has overwhelming support right now, as soon as the LDS church expresses it's objection to this initiative this thing is as good as dead. We'll see.

http://fox13now.com/2018/03/26/it-l...juana-will-be-on-the-november-ballot-in-utah/

What do you have to explain to your daughter? How is it any different than someone who drinks? Or smokes a cigarette? Or drinks a coffee?

I drink alcohol on occasion. I explain that.
I explain smoking by explaining that you can get cancer by smoking. (I've lost 5 family members in 15 years to smoking related cancer)
Coffee, I don't explain. There's nothing wrong with it. Why would i?
Smoking pot, I voted to legalize it. There are advantages for people IN MEDICAL NEED. There are also people not in need who abuse it (like any other substance, it can be abused) my issue is this, the law states you cannot smoke it outside of a public place (like a grocery store) but people don't give a ----- . They do anyways. I don't want to see a person drunk on their --- outside of every store I go in either. Or cracked out or sober and just screaming for no reason. Smoke weed all you want, I don't care. But do not question me on the conversations I choose to have with my 6 year old daughter. I smoked weed for years. I don't now. That choice is mine to make. Yours is to smoke weed in front of a 6 year old girls face. If you choose to make this decision, it's yours and you own it. You own everything that goes with it. And if it's me, my daughter and her mother, her mother and her will bein the store. It will then beme and you having a wordless conversation.

It's just weird to me that people are freaked out about explaining to their kids why people smoke marijuana. Kids probably see adults drink wine or beer on a regular basis, but explaining to them why people do a much less dangerous and less life impeding (you can do a lot more **** high on weed than you can drunk or buzzed on alcohol) thing is strange.
I'm guessing right now your in your teens or early 20's. I'm also stating the obvious by saying you have no kids. I voted to legalize weed. I know the benefits of medical marijuana. I've smoked more weed in the last 20 years than what your eyes will see. My parents had plants growing in the window seals of our house. They are still together and they both still smoke weed. Both great people. But is that normal? No.
Do people abuse it? Of course, as they do with alcohol, tobacco, etc.
I also am friends with many people in their 40's that smoke weed and they're idiot's. Weed is a 1st priority. I have other friends who smoke and are successful business people. It comes down to, out of those who I know and who I've met, there are fewer successful people who have self control with it, than people who don't.
My job as a parent is not about what I like. It's about installing the best beliefs in my child I have and I know how.
Again I voted to legalize it, but it gets abused like anything else.
If people used it for its purposes, there's no issue. But here in las vegas Nevada where in live, it doesn't get used that way. Nothing does however.

I am sceptical of the opponents to legalization. Big pharma has billions of reasons to oppose it. I'm sceptical of any op ed piece with criticisms against it's lagalization. So many can be bought and paid for by those who oppose it.

I am therefore shocked and heartened to hear that Mitch McConnell has introduced a bill to legalize marijuanna's little brother, hemp. Hemp contains 50 times less thc than pot, but still is on the list of controlled substances. It has many uses and is one of the world's most adaptable plants that grows without harmful effects to the environment. Hemp puts fear in corporate America. Amazing and the natural thing to do when both of these plants are as free to use as is the air we breathe.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/380287-mcconnell-bill-would-legalize-hemp-as-agricultural-product?amp

That's not exactly accurate. THC varies by strain. Also, you can already buy cannabinoidol from the shelves. People take it for anxiety. I'm going to try it for a separate reason.

I drink alcohol on occasion. I explain that.
I explain smoking by explaining that you can get cancer by smoking. (I've lost 5 family members in 15 years to smoking related cancer)
Coffee, I don't explain. There's nothing wrong with it. Why would i?
Smoking pot, I voted to legalize it. There are advantages for people IN MEDICAL NEED. There are also people not in need who abuse it (like any other substance, it can be abused) my issue is this, the law states you cannot smoke it outside of a public place (like a grocery store) but people don't give a ----- . They do anyways. I don't want to see a person drunk on their --- outside of every store I go in either. Or cracked out or sober and just screaming for no reason. Smoke weed all you want, I don't care. But do not question me on the conversations I choose to have with my 6 year old daughter. I smoked weed for years. I don't now. That choice is mine to make. Yours is to smoke weed in front of a 6 year old girls face. If you choose to make this decision, it's yours and you own it. You own everything that goes with it. And if it's me, my daughter and her mother, her mother and her will bein the store. It will then beme and you having a wordless conversation.

What? Dude, you have so much straw man you might burst into flames. lol. Again, what is there to explain?

I live in a small town in Oregon, and weed here is VERY prevalent. There are about 13,000 people and a weed shop on every corner. It's a tourist town, and while the scenery is beautiful, I'd bet more than 1 or 2 people come here every weekend to partake. I've never seen a person smoking weed outside. Our librarian is a small older woman and she reeks of it, but I've never seen anyone smoking it.

And who is smoking weed in front of a six year old? LOL.

And your last sentence? Dude, you need help. lol. Turn down Rush and Hannity and use some common sense here man.

Wordless conversation...that's rich. ha ha.

I'm guessing right now your in your teens or early 20's. I'm also stating the obvious by saying you have no kids. I voted to legalize weed. I know the benefits of medical marijuana. I've smoked more weed in the last 20 years than what your eyes will see. My parents had plants growing in the window seals of our house. They are still together and they both still smoke weed. Both great people. But is that normal? No.
I also am friends with many people in their 40's that smoke weed and they're idiot's. Weed is a 1st priority. I have other friends who smoke and are successful business people. It comes down to, out of those who I know and who I've met, there are fewer successful people who have self control with it, than people who don't.
My job as a parent is not about what I like. It's about installing the best beliefs in my child I have and I know how.
If people used it for its purposes, there's no issue. But here in las vegas Nevada where in live, it doesn't get used that way. Nothing does however.

I'm starting to think you don't have teeth. Yet, here I am the one responding to you, so what does that make me? lol. Amused.

You could just say that you think it should be legal.

When I first sought out marijuana, I did so because I was interested in experiencing different states of consciousness. So I read about pot, and approached using it, within the broader spectrum of hallucinogenic substances. I wanted to know, simply put, what shamans experienced in altered states. By the late 60's, that desire had expanded into experimenting with popular hallucinagins of the day. LSD, peyote, psilocybin. But it did begin with pot, and at first I experienced interesting temporal and spatial distortions with pot. Those elements disappeared with time, but at first it was a mild hallucinagin, and I got to see reality through different filters so to speak.

And still today, when I smoke certain grades outdoors in a natural setting on a beautiful day, it renders the world sacred. There is a sacredness to the natural setting, and I appreciate that. I don't really care what the law would say to me about that one way or the other. It's my cognitive liberty. If I want to experience altered states of consciousness, and I am not harming anyone otherwise, the state has no right to tell me what I can do with my consciousness. It's a matter of cognitive liberty. I am responsible about it. The state can stay out of my life in that respect.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/03/psychedelic-drugs/471603/

Not exactly a cause celebre I realize. Just how I happen to feel about my right to experience different states of consciousness in a responsible way. I function just fine in the consensus reality of everyday life, but I'm not shy about experiencing altered states either.

What? Dude, you have so much straw man you might burst into flames. lol. Again, what is there to explain?

I live in a small town in Oregon, and weed here is VERY prevalent. There are about 13,000 people and a weed shop on every corner. It's a tourist town, and while the scenery is beautiful, I'd bet more than 1 or 2 people come here every weekend to partake. I've never seen a person smoking weed outside. Our librarian is a small older woman and she reeks of it, but I've never seen anyone smoking it.

And who is smoking weed in front of a six year old? LOL.

And your last sentence? Dude, you need help. lol. Turn down Rush and Hannity and use some common sense here man.

Wordless conversation...that's rich. ha ha.
I'm glad everything is so cheery and chipper in your (unmentioned) small town of Oregon.
Yes I've probably seen different things than where you live given. I live in a town you may have heard of called Las Vegas, Nevada. You wouldn't understand what I see, because of your Cute and quaint little small bumpkin town.
As far as your Rush and Hannity comment. It was a nice touch, but I am an established Democrat and in no way would I give those idiot's a second of concentration. And forgive me for saying this, but your experience is something I don't really take into consideration because I've forgotten more than you'll ever learn. Reading your entire reply, I have taken into consideration that I'm conversing with an idiotic specimen of human life, so your statements are taken with a gallon of salt.
I'm happy to hear that your small town is doing so well and not having the same results as the large city of which I live.
God bless the simple minded folk of your little 6 toe town. Your making all 11,000 of them proud with each idiotic comment from your lifeless brain.

I'm starting to think you don't have teeth. Yet, here I am the one responding to you, so what does that make me? lol. Amused.
It makes you an idiot. You assume something of someone you don't even know. You assume I have no teeth from reading a very articulate statement that's above and beyond your elementary comprehension. I have no choice to assume that the better part of you ran down your mother's left leg.
I have a feeling that my intuition is more accurate.

I generally dislike marijuana and have no interest in smoking or eating it. I don't need help relaxing, being lazy, finding life fun or interesting or the other recreational reasons people take it.

I think legalizing it is a great choice.

For one it has real medical reasons to take it that are way better for people than other medicines.

But even just for recreational reasons I think it's good to legalize it.

It's not harmful, it's not addicting, and the government shouldn't being telling people what to do with their personal lives when it doesn't effect other people.
This series about the medical benefits of "Cannabis" is absolutely eye-opening: https://thesacredplant.com/

I’m not for legalizing it. Worse, I really oppose the medical push. If people want to push for it being legal, fine, but I hate when it masquerades as a medical issue or when it’s sold as a panacea. Or even worse, the idea that it should be legalized to replace people’s opioids, when in reality they’d use it as a supplement to their opioids.
Infection, you're a pretty smart guy but you're brainwashed and totally oblivious to the truth about marijuana: https://thesacredplant.com/

You think that's a reputable source? MJ cures cancer? Give me a break.
Watch the series. No it doesn't say it "cures" cancer. There is no easy cure for cancer. But it does work with the endocannabinoid system in our bodies to affect healing in many ways. In fact, the endocannabinoid system was only discovered in the last couple of decades. Watch some of the documentaries and then make up your mind. I really was shocked at some of the things that were presented, and the information is fact-based, on clinical studies.

Watch the series. No it doesn't say it "cures" cancer. There is no easy cure for cancer. But it does work with the endocannabinoid system in our bodies to affect healing in many ways. In fact, the endocannabinoid system was only discovered in the last couple of decades. Watch some of the documentaries and then make up your mind. I really was shocked at some of the things that were presented, and the information is fact-based, on clinical studies.
I'm nor much of an online video watcher
I have a strong preference for reading information.

Read an article yesterday talking about how teen use went down in Oregon ever since it was legalized. Not surprised by that at all. I figured that is what would happen and always touted that as one of the reasons it should be legalized.