What's new

Legal marijuana - good or bad? Any personal experience?

Yes it does, thanks.

I suspiciously wonder if they could make these drugs just as effective without being addictive but they like people to get hooked on them. Probably not but I wouldn’t be surprised.
If you find out any pharmaceutical company has an opioid without dependence that’s as effective as any of the others, then that’s a company to immediately buy stock in. The moment they market that tidbit to physicians is the moment that becomes the only drug chronic opioid users are getting from primary care physicians. It’s also the same drug that every chronic opioid user will coincidentally have an allergy to.

That’s the kind of drug that another company would commit conspiracy for and off some of their executives.

Ummm. Many people, myself included, would grow it themselves. Big pharma would hate that and not make money off it.
I can’t grow my own Percocet on the other hand. They would also hate that marijuana isn’t addictive enough. Gotta keep your customers reliant on your product to maximize profits.

Its more or less semi legal here, if you're caught with under an ounce and its not bagged up you generally just get a fine. Its legal to grow two plants in your backyard in South Australia.

If you find out any pharmaceutical company has an opioid without dependence that’s as effective as any of the others, then that’s a company to immediately buy stock in. The moment they market that tidbit to physicians is the moment that becomes the only drug chronic opioid users are getting from primary care physicians. It’s also the same drug that every chronic opioid user will coincidentally have an allergy to.

That’s the kind of drug that another company would commit conspiracy for and off some of their executives.

Attached to my work is a rather prestigious research facility, we used to do the security for them as well which i always taught was a bit of a joke, their greatest risk of theft was going to be of IP likely by a staff member or student or by a professional hacking into their computer system to mine their research that way. Still it was the best place to go for a nap on night shift.

Its more or less semi legal here, if you're caught with under an ounce and its not bagged up you generally just get a fine. Its legal to grow two plants in your backyard in South Australia.

Honestly all I want is to be able to grow a couple plants and smoke up in the evenings after work if I want to without having to worry about losing my job.

Honestly all I want is to be able to grow a couple plants and smoke up in the evenings after work if I want to without having to worry about losing my job.

Smoke enough weed and you worry about your job for too long...

I for example lose my licence to work for any form of criminal conviction, not only that depending on what charges I'm convicted of, i will receive harsher penalties because i'm trained in the law and therefore have deliberately and consciously broken it while being fully aware of the consequences. On the other hand the Skin head that spat on my face on Thursday after assaulting an Asian woman in the city was going to be released and charged on summons (even tho he has no fixed address, the cops who witnessed it even told me to ease up after i took the prick down, felt like asking the stupid prick what he would have done if the arsehole had spat in his face.) but the moron was too dumb to play ball with the cops so he had to be put on remand for the weekend. Beggars belief.

No industry wants to curtail the drug approval process more than "Big Pharma", and if cannabis were approved for medical use only, no industry would make more from it than "Big Pharma". Tobacco and alcohol makers have much stronger opposition to legal cannabis.
That's b.s. They can't patent an herb. It's competition for their artificial drugs.

Here’s perhaps a different way to answer that question: I wouldn’t think causing COPD or lung cancer, or people driving under the influence, would be reason enough to exclude medical marijuana from FDA approval. Every substance is weighing risks and benefits.
Geezus H. Christ, you don't have to smoke medical marijuana. Guess you don't know as much about it as you claim.

It takes ~15 years to bring a drug to market and costs about $3 billion. There are pros and cons to that regulation. That funding is provided by the drug manufacturer with the promise of being able to obtain a patent where they can recoup the costs and make a profit.

Drug companies won’t fund that process because they can’t make money on that specifically, unless they isolate some compound within marijuana with medicinal value (which has already been done). You can’t patent marijuana. Sure, they can always make money of dispensing it, but without a patent and exclusive right, you’re not making the kind of dollars they’re going after.

Lithium, for instance, was not patentable as it was “natural” (more than natural, it’s an element on the periodic table). Because of that, no big money in a patent, unless you do something stupid with it like make an extended release. And the fact that it’s natural doesn’t quite make it a good idea for everyone to take (many on it long term get significant kidney damage and a lot more will have thyroid problems). I’m not exactly making that analogy to marijuana but the idea stands. In any case, despite lack of lots of pharmaceutical reason to push that product, it remains one of the most clinically effective treatments for bipolar disorder and depression, and until the past couple decades, was a first line treatment, so “big pharma” doesn’t exactly have the all-powerful oppressive hand many believe, though they do wield a lot of societal influence.

But yes, opioids have “been through” that process. Again, I don’t make any argument for that process as it certainly has pros and cons, but is far from flawless. But that’s the current standard. Plenty of drugs (most?) that have made it through that suck and are ineffective. Plenty are dangerous and lethal in certain circumstances. Many over the counter meds such as aspirin and Tylenol are much more dangerous than many medications that need a prescription, but they’re available by historical precedent.

Marijuana has medicinal value. But so does St. John’s Wort and Ginseng. Many trade-name medications also have medicinal value. But that doesn’t really make them useful, even in a minority of circumstances. Wesley Johnson is useful and has value. Not to us. Not to most teams. But he’s useful.

Regarding opioids, they are fantastically effective for acute pain and in emergency circumstances. They are absolutely terrible for long-term use. I don’t have numbers and I’m shooting from the hip, but I’d wager high money that >97% of all opioid prescriptions are for chronic pain. This is terrible. Treatments for chronic pain really shouldn’t be medicinal, whether that’s opioids or NSAIDs or marijuana.

Marijuana is singled out for its medicinal benefits because everyone knows what it is. It’s like the Jimmer of the NBA. Many people can do what Jimmer does, but we aren’t familiar with them. We’re familiar with Jimmer so we assume he’s the only big shot not getting a fair shake.

So, have you studied the endocannabinoid system? I haven't, but the claims are being made that its interaction with this system in our bodies is what makes marijuana effective. I think ingesting rather than smoking is preferable. Any kind of smoking is harmful.

Ummm. Many people, myself included, would grow it themselves. Big pharma would hate that and not make money off it.
I can’t grow my own Percocet on the other hand. They would also hate that marijuana isn’t addictive enough. Gotta keep your customers reliant on your product to maximize profits.

If it is approved for medical use only, do you really think private cultivation will be legalized? Would you really rather grow it yourself than buy it legally and inexpensively? It seems a large risk for little gain.

If it is approved for medical use only, do you really think private cultivation will be legalized? Would you really rather grow it yourself than buy it legally and inexpensively? It seems a large risk for little gain.
I see title of OP as legal marijuana. Not only legal medically. And iirc the states that are currently only legal medicinally allow those using it medicinally to grow their own.
As far as your second question goes... certainly, it would be a fun hobby. Some people like gardening and growing their own fruits and veggies. They thinks its fun. Plus when you grow your own you sometimes trust it more. If someone else is growing it then they could add things to it you don't want or grow it in a way you don't want.

I see title of OP as legal marijuana. Not only legal medically. And iirc the states that are currently only legal medicinally allow those using it medicinally to grow their own.
As far as your second question goes... certainly, it would be a fun hobby. Some people like gardening and growing their own fruits and veggies. They thinks its fun. Plus when you grow your own you sometimes trust it more. If someone else is growing it then they could add things to it you don't want or grow it in a way you don't want.

The interesting thing is that Marijuana has mostly been grown for its recreational purposes. Strands that are popular are so because of the effects it has on recreational purposes. But hopefully as we continue to research and grow different strands medical types can be developed. Along with that strands that are better for peoples health and wellness even within recreational use can be developed.

There is a lot of research already done on Marijuana but there is a lot more to be done. There is also a lot of false information out there about it. People often claim its addictive because its a huge dopamine increase but that has generally been debunked. Its more of the anandamide neurotransmitter that is being effected. This is why THC can have such a large influence and effect things like motivation, anxiety and depression in both a positive and potentially negative way.

There are also lots of other "drugs" that can have a positive impact and I think Marijuana might be a tipping point for some of those such as shrooms and MDMA. Those are other things that should be studied and legalized.

But I am strongly of the opinion that all drugs should be decriminalized. Especially the addictive ones. No one should be criminalized for being addicted, they should be helped.

That's b.s. They can't patent an herb. It's competition for their artificial drugs.
It's not an herb. It's a plant that contains relatively powerful chemicals that can be extracted and potentially refined.

I see title of OP as legal marijuana. Not only legal medically.

If you want to do officious, I can do officious. You responded to a sub-thread involving the pharmaceutical companies and marijuana being legal as a medicinal drug. It's not my problem is you can't keep straight which posts you are responding to.

And iirc the states that are currently only legal medicinally allow those using it medicinally to grow their own.

Some states do, some don't. It's about 50-50.
https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

If growing your own is legal, then I agree it could be a fun hobby.

Ok one brow, i will answer your post like this to make it more simple.
Question #1: If it is approved for medical use only, do you really think private cultivation will be legalized? Answer: Yes.
Question #2: Would you really rather grow it yourself than buy it legally and inexpensively? Answer: Yes.
For your last statement, "It seems a large risk for little gain", if its legal to grow your own then there is zero risk and the gain is that I save money growing my own. (I know a few people who grow their own right now and save tons of money because of it. And buying weed illegally is cheaper than buying it legally right now.... yet growing your own is much much cheaper than either option)

Ok one brow, i will answer your post like this to make it more simple.
Question #1: If it is approved for medical use only, do you really think private cultivation will be legalized? Answer: Yes.

You are half right. In about half the states where marijuana is legal, you can grow your own with a limited number of plants. In the other half, it is not legal.

Question #2: Would you really rather grow it yourself than buy it legally and inexpensively? Answer: Yes.
Even in the states where owning cannabis is is legal but growing it is not?

You are half right. In about half the states where marijuana is legal, you can grow your own with a limited number of plants. In the other half, it is not legal.

Even in the states where owning cannabis is is legal but growing it is not?

You asked what I think will happen. I think growing it will be legal.
Therefore, based off what I think, there would be no risk and growing it would be a fun hobby that saves me money.

You asked what I think will happen. I think growing it will be legal.
Therefore, based off what I think, there would be no risk and growing it would be a fun hobby that saves me money.

However, the reality so far is that growing your own is not legal in half the states where cannabis has been legalized. You can choose to ignore that, of course.

However, the reality so far is that growing your own is not legal in half the states where cannabis has been legalized. You can choose to ignore that, of course.

Eh, if I can smoke legally, and carry legally then I’m a grow illegally. So be it. I would only really be smoking at home anyway. The risk of being caught would be quite low. Plus I’m pretty sure that the penalties for anything weed related are going to go down no matter what happens at the political level. People are going to realize eventually that it’s not a big deal... the tide has already turned so much and the opposition is only opposing out of some kind of nostalgic/fearful non understanding position. They will fade away and be overcome and eventually gain understanding.

I’m simply not worried about this non issue. It’s the past but some people just don’t know it yet. Legalization is steam rolling ahead and the right thing will happen soon enough.

OK. Lots of issues downstream from the OP.

What government level of authority are we talking about. FDA like many other federal activities is actually not Constitutional, per the tenth amendment and the intention of the founders to create a federal government that could be managed by the people more directly. So it's the States.

Oh well, nobody wants fifty sets of state legislators/lobbyists being owned by cartelist interests.

But still, the idea that we let even states impose values not essential to society is not so good. And the idea of having millions of petty "criminals" under lucrative jail contracts making corporate jailers rich.... well, it's the potheads who don't require a lot of staff and who don't create much trouble in the concrete bunkhouses, so that's who they want to have in there, I'd guess.

It's just an outrage that we jail smalltime folks for stuff that is largely benign to society.

I don't like the stuff being part of our culture, really. When I studied it for ten years (lol @Bullet) and wrote a high school research paper on it, I observed that countries where it was pervasively in use were just too mellow to become great.

So, no offense guys.... I just want to Make America Great Again, but that's the job of churches and other publicly interested educational folks, not the government.

It really does challenge my Liberty instincts to accept any kind of management of society from our government. I can't really see doing away with the FDA entirely, and I have to admit we need professional management in many areas. But we have better things to invest legal skills in, lawyer defense and prosecution and judge's calendars that pot.

Really.