What's new

Life - official thread

What if you were making 12K, living in a trailer park with tons of crime and made ends meet with government assistance and an equally good looking, equally intelligent and equally into her guy came into the picture and that guy was making over 100k/year?

She has enough purpose and gusto by herself to earn us enough money to prevent that kind of life. She's already doing that, as an artist. Doing what she wants.

So, what's your point? Everybody's love life has to be poisoned with some version of the Rotten Money scenario you're envisioning or they're lying??

She has enough purpose and gusto by herself to earn us enough money to prevent that kind of life. She's already doing that, as an artist.

So, what's your point? Everybody's love life has to be poisoned with some version of the Rotten Money scenario you're envisioning??

My point is that love is not some sort of magic. There are real things that influence how we feel about other people. Sometimes that's money, sometimes that's physical. Women tend to lean towards valuing men of high status, and status often comes from wealth. It can come from other things, we all live in our own little microcosms and a man can have status within that sphere and be attractive to women in that sphere. But regardless, women are generally attracted to men based on their status, however they evaluate that.

My point is that love is not some sort of magic. There are real things that influence how we feel about other people. Sometimes that's money, sometimes that's physical. Women tend to lean towards valuing men of high status, and status often comes from wealth. It can come from other things, we all live in our own little microcosms and a man can have status within that sphere and be attractive to women in that sphere. But regardless, women are generally attracted to men based on their status, however they evaluate that.

Your tell-it-like-it-is approach to love is quaint. You manage to outline the least inspiring sides of love, all from the point of view of common sense. Your life must be a thrill.

The saddest people take their own tell-it-like-it-is norms, and make them into rules.

Your position may be right a lot of the times, but it isn't fate for everybody. There are totally different lives and outcomes than your imagination here admits.

This is the absolute truth: my girlfriend's love and support wouldn't waver if I decided to be a struggling artist making $30K a year. She is absolutely hooked up to the energy and effort one puts into living the life they want.

(She comes from rural poverty and left public education at age 12. She's a long long way from the institutional conceits that hook people into a certain dependence on money.)

They're out there.

1) Do struggling artists even make 30K a year? I always felt more like 18-24K in major cities.
2)How did your gf end her public education at age 12? Is she an alien?

Rare and incurable lung/heart disease. Early stages still, but I get really short of breath and really dizzy. It felt like giving in to the disease to get the disabled parking plates. But long walks through parking lots make me hesitant to go places. And as others have pointed out, why waste what little energy I have on a parking lot.

So my doc convinced me and I got them yesterday. It still feels weird, partly because I know I don't look sick when I get out of the car and I hate people judging me. Silly, I know.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

I can't wait to get disabled plates and a Jazzy! You should be excited. I'm going to "accidentally" run into so many little brats. :)

mainjazzyblock.jpg

Your tell-it-like-it-is approach to love is quaint. You manage to outline the least inspiring sides of love, all from the point of view of common sense. Your life must be a thrill.

The saddest people take their own tell-it-like-it-is norms, and make them into rules.

Your position may be right a lot of the times, but it isn't fate for everybody. There are totally different lives and outcomes than your imagination here admits.

I think I was careful about using terms like "leans towards" and "for the most part" to make it clear that I wasn't telling absolute truths about how everyone loves.

LOL, 1890's or 1990's?

Ours is an 1893 Victorian, I'm sure yours probably has circuit breakers and electrical in conduit, not knob and tube and old fashioned fuses like ours did! We replaced that before we even moved in. Now after 32 years, we're redoing some of the stuff we did back then. Never ends...
That's awesome! I would love to restore an 1890's house. Now I want to see pictures! :)

No, ours is a 1990s house terribly designed, poorly built, etc, but when you live in the middle of nowhere options are limited so we're just trying to make the house more functional, etc. .. :D

1) Do struggling artists even make 30K a year? I always felt more like 18-24K in major cities.
2)How did your gf end her public education at age 12? Is she an alien?

1. I'd say 30K is pretty easily doable in a place like LA if you have marketable skills and don't mind selling out every now-and-then. It's also still "struggling" like hell.
2. She's from a rural hippy area in Massachusetts. They had their own grassroots homeschool/non-school thing out there 30 years before that was kind of a thing to do. She left the public school system and went into that. It was all self-guided learning. No pre-established curricula.

I think I was careful about using terms like "leans towards" and "for the most part" to make it clear that I wasn't telling absolute truths about how everyone loves.

I certainly haven't snatched a pessimistic outlook from a mostly optimistic perspective.

I don't think ONE LOVE has the wrong ideas about love (from what I can tell), but he does have flagrantly unhelpful ideas about women. You and I seem to agree on the latter. Not on the former.

Having a really good summer business wise. My best in six years of managing the company. I am planning on moving to a different line of work after this summer, despite the success I have had. It's good to know I'm leaving the business in its best form.

I'm looking for a mid century home to remodel in bountiful. I almost bought one last month that was awesome. It was a cash only situation though as the foundation had a few problems, and we were far short of having the full amount in cash.

Life's fun right now, I'm wrapping up my busy season and looking travel around the southwest with the family a bit this fall. I'ma also planning a northwest kayaking trip with some if my friends.

Having a really good summer business wise. My best in six years of managing the company. I am planning on moving to a different line of work after this summer, despite the success I have had. It's good to know I'm leaving the business in its best form.

I'm looking for a mid century home to remodel in bountiful. I almost bought one last month that was awesome. It was a cash only situation though as the foundation had a few problems, and we were far short of having the full amount in cash.

Life's fun right now, I'm wrapping up my busy season and looking travel around the southwest with the family a bit this fall. I'ma also planning a northwest kayaking trip with some if my friends.

Great to hear your business is doing so well. Are you selling it, or just getting someone else to run it? What line of work are you looking to do after this?

Great to hear your business is doing so well. Are you selling it, or just getting someone else to run it? What line of work are you looking to do after this?

Gonna open a flour shop. And drive around a delivery van with stickers on it. Real big demand for flour over here

Last edited:
I certainly haven't snatched a pessimistic outlook from a mostly optimistic perspective.

I don't think ONE LOVE has the wrong ideas about love (from what I can tell), but he does have flagrantly unhelpful ideas about women. You and I seem to agree on the latter. Not on the former.

Gonna open a flour shop. And drive around a delivery van with stickers on it. Real big demand for flour over here

I can get you that good wheat mane.

Wow, sorry to hear that. :-( Hope it can be managed, even if not cured. Good luck.

Thanks. Still figuring out the managing part.

Thanks. Still figuring out the managing part.

Would marijuana help?

Would marijuana help?
With anxiety, probably. But I'm not in much pain so don't need it for that, thankfully. Hopefully Utah will have it figured out by the time it will be helpful.