What's new

Locker Clean-out Discussion

None of them really appreciate me like Jazz nation would... lower cost of living... if I don't have those financial millstones I can likely afford floor seat season tickets... for one.

Tickets "for one," as in one ticket, or multiple tickets that you will sometimes use to invite me along?

Tickets "for one," as in one ticket, or multiple tickets that you will sometimes use to invite me along?

I mean it will just be me... I have a temper, loud voice, and no filter so it is likely that I get in a fist fight with a player within 10 or so games. At that point you can have my ticket on the cheap as I will be banned for life.

Jonas Jerebko sits down with Jake Scott and PK

JJ: My ninth year, maybe the most fun I've had in the league. We wanted to go a little further, we had the feeling we could beat anybody this year. Showed we are resilient after Nov. and Dec. Shows a lot of grit and character. Future is bright.

PK asks if he feels like he has a home here.

JJ: I've only played for three teams n 9 years, including the Jazz. This is def. a place I'd love to say, maybe even finish my career. Fans are great, love the organization. That's not fully up to me, though.

Jake Scott asks about the turnaround.

JJ: Rudy coming back was the main factor. I knew we would bounce back after those tough months. Maybe not a 48 win feeling, but we felt way too good to not bounce back from this. We showed we can play with anyone in the league and we will get better. Only been together one season.

PK asks about playing with a new group every year. Why is this team the tightest you've been with?

JJ: Credit to DL and org for bringing the right guys into the locker room. We felt like we had guys that anyone of them could step up. Having Mitchell was amazing. Sky is limit.

What are you planning this summer?

JJ: Spend time with daughter and wife, take a few weeks of doing nothing, then back into the gym. Last season went to ECF with Celtics and had less time off. Want to come into the next season ready.

Thabo with Jake Scott and PK

TS: Things are getting better, health improving. Internally it was a struggle to watch from the sidelines. Not being able to compete against a team I played for for 5 seasons, it was hard to have to watch. Next year we expect to be back.

What about the locker room camaraderie.

TS: We have people from all sorts of different places, we formed a bond throughout the season. Paid off on the court.

As a vet, what's it like to be in a situation that has a bright future?

TS: Regardless of age you want to be in a successful situation. It's fun to be a part of a good team. Using my leadership having spent 12 years in the league, and getting through some of the playoffs.

Did you feel the team was close to clicking through the hard times?

TS: We never really doubted ourselves. My brother kept telling me we would make the playoffs. Coach encouraged us.

Playing for Snyder

Amazing. Being injured I spend a lot more time talking to coaches and seeing their day to day work. The hours they spend watching tape and coming up with a plan is the highest level I've seen.

When will you resume full activity?

Hopefully about a month. No rush. Hopefully fully ready by September, fully healthy and recovered.

Offseason plans?

Be here in Utah for a bit recovering. Back to Switzerland to be with family, do my basketball camp.

Thabo with Jake Scott and PK

TS: Things are getting better, health improving. Internally it was a struggle to watch from the sidelines. Not being able to compete against a team I played for for 5 seasons, it was hard to have to watch. Next year we expect to be back.

What about the locker room camaraderie.

TS: We have people from all sorts of different places, we formed a bond throughout the season. Paid off on the court.

As a vet, what's it like to be in a situation that has a bright future?

TS: Regardless of age you want to be in a successful situation. It's fun to be a part of a good team. Using my leadership having spent 12 years in the league, and getting through some of the playoffs.

Did you feel the team was close to clicking through the hard times?

TS: We never really doubted ourselves. My brother kept telling me we would make the playoffs. Coach encouraged us.

Playing for Snyder

Amazing. Being injured I spend a lot more time talking to coaches and seeing their day to day work. The hours they spend watching tape and coming up with a plan is the highest level I've seen.

When will you resume full activity?

Hopefully about a month. No rush. Hopefully fully ready by September, fully healthy and recovered.

Offseason plans?

Be here in Utah for a bit recovering. Back to Switzerland to be with family, do my basketball camp.

I think Thabo is the most likely of the 3 unguaranteed guys to be back. Early date... sounds like he is working with the group.

Favors w/ Jake Scott and PK

Favs: We proved a lot of people wrong this season. We didn't get as far as we wanted, so we got a lot to work on and improve it for next year.

You've been vocal about wanting to stay. Not everyone does that. Why?

DF: They've been supportive of me thru my career. Times when they could trade me, bench me, and they didn't. I appreciate this organization.

Feelings as season ends

DF: It's kinda like the last day of school. You know it's coming but you gotta say goodbye to all your friends and stuff. It's how the NBA is. Team might not look the same next year, you never know, we might have some different people next year. Just have to get ready for that. This has been one of my favorite years. I been through it all. Lotto team, bad team, playoff team. This year was great. Unselfish team. Great chemistry. Great year, proved everybody wrong. Best year I've had in the NBA.

How do you address free agency planning?

No idea. Mindset right now is enjoy break, spend time with kids and family, focus on enjoying it. No apprehension or nervousness yet. Maybe I'll get butterflies when the time comes, but just enjoying it right now.

As you look back on time in Utah can you see how you've grown?

A lot. I was 19, I was dealing with a different situation when I was drafted there were already trade rumors, so it was a relief to find a home here, the fans, organizations, from age 19 to 26.

You've talked of sacrifice to change your game to work alongside Rudy.

Coach and Dennis told me at the beginning of the year that it wasn't going to be a paint game for me this year because we had Rudy down there. Get comfy switching 1-4 or 1-5, might not finish games, might not hit 35 minutes, develop a 3. I was up for the challenge.

What about the stereotypes about young black players not wanting Utah?

I say give it a try. People have different things to say abut SLC but I think hey don't know much about it. I got used to it, learned to love it, love SLC. Give it a try. [How long?] About two years. Growing up in Atlanta, from south, it took some time. Then adapted, fell in love. A few years ago stayed out two summers straight to adapt. Love it.

Do you stick around Utah this summer?

In Atlanta this summer for the most part. I told DL and Q that I'll come up as needed, but spend most of my time in Atlanta this summer.

I still have questions about flaws in his game, but Sexy Spanish Jesus just makes my heart melt. Can't wait to see him back healthy next year.

Favors w/ Jake Scott and PK

Favs: We proved a lot of people wrong this season. We didn't get as far as we wanted, so we got a lot to work on and improve it for next year.

You've been vocal about wanting to stay. Not everyone does that. Why?

DF: They've been supportive of me thru my career. Times when they could trade me, bench me, and they didn't. I appreciate this organization.

Feelings as season ends

DF: It's kinda like the last day of school. You know it's coming but you gotta say goodbye to all your friends and stuff. It's how the NBA is. Team might not look the same next year, you never know, we might have some different people next year. Just have to get ready for that. This has been one of my favorite years. I been through it all. Lotto team, bad team, playoff team. This year was great. Unselfish team. Great chemistry. Great year, proved everybody wrong. Best year I've had in the NBA.

How do you address free agency planning?

No idea. Mindset right now is enjoy break, spend time with kids and family, focus on enjoying it. No apprehension or nervousness yet. Maybe I'll get butterflies when the time comes, but just enjoying it right now.

As you look back on time in Utah can you see how you've grown?

A lot. I was 19, I was dealing with a different situation when I was drafted there were already trade rumors, so it was a relief to find a home here, the fans, organizations, from age 19 to 26.

You've talked of sacrifice to change your game to work alongside Rudy.

Coach and Dennis told me at the beginning of the year that it wasn't going to be a paint game for me this year because we had Rudy down there. Get comfy switching 1-4 or 1-5, might not finish games, might not hit 35 minutes, develop a 3. I was up for the challenge.

What about the stereotypes about young black players not wanting Utah?

I say give it a try. People have different things to say abut SLC but I think hey don't know much about it. I got used to it, learned to love it, love SLC. Give it a try. [How long?] About two years. Growing up in Atlanta, from south, it took some time. Then adapted, fell in love. A few years ago stayed out two summers straight to adapt. Love it.

Do you stick around Utah this summer?

In Atlanta this summer for the most part. I told DL and Q that I'll come up as needed, but spend most of my time in Atlanta this summer.
Sounds to me like Favs wants to be back.

Rubio sits down with Jake Scott, Tony Parks, and PK

RR: Feeling good. Shame that I couldn't play round 2. Put a lot of effort to get back, but it wasn't meant to be. You don't really know what playoffs are like until you play. We play against OKC, then in the 2d round I can't be out there. MRI said pulled hamstring. They said 2 weeks, I said hell no! I went to rehab 24/7 for a week. Tried to do my best. Wasn't ready. Felt I would hurt more than help the team, wasn't even 50%. Tough to decide to sit and watch, but a lesson for me, too. Like I said, when season was over yesterday I felt something I never felt before. A burning inside of me, like something special could have happened, but I have that to work this summer, to be ready next year.

What will offseason here do for you?

A lot. Last summer I worked, but didn't know what team wanted. Now I know how team works, get ready for next year, be a better team mate and player. [like what?] I still need to sit down and watch film again, see where I can improve. Top of my mind, the catch and go, catch and shoot thing. When you get the ball you have a split second to decide, or you newed to know what's coming next. That's new for me. Going to improve. Get better on spacing, make the play before I get the ball.

Did Jazz team bring out best in you?

Absolutely. The way we play together is special. Pass good shots for better shots. Not common in NBA. Usually iso guys, you know who will shoot. Here you never know. Ingles one of the best shooters in the league, and had open shots a lot. Because we play that way to look for the better shot.

How much can you improve?

A lot. I been in the league a long time, but I have a lot in me yet to show. A lot of confidence that I never had before, knowing what it is to be in playoffs and what to work on. One of the most exciting summers for me.

Thoughts on Mitchell

People will look back at the season and see something special. I don't like to talk a lot and give advice but he asked me for advice all the time. He wants to listen and get better. He listens then he does it. Not a lot of guys like him. He's special. Wish I could be with Wade or LeBron in their rookie seasons to see for sure, but I put him on that level. I know there's a lot of pressure on him but he can handle it. Look at his 3rd quarter last night. "This kid is special" we keep saying that to each other, I said it to Thabo on the bench last night.