What's new

Lockout!!!

5.5 hours into a meeting. Lets cross our fingers everyone, I want a ****ing season so badly it hurts.

5.5 hours into a meeting. Lets cross our fingers everyone, I want a ****ing season so badly it hurts.

They didn't even discuss BRI tonight. Apparently the NBA was hammering out other details involving the luxury tax and such. They are meeting this afternoon and I am guessing they will discuss BRI. Chris Broussard said that the owners are standing firm at 50-50. They also discussed a possible meeting for later on in the week. Unless the players agree to a 50-50 split, we are about to see some games cancelled.

And then half the players go to Europe and the other half start their own small league. You as an owner are forced to sell your stadium for pennies on the dollar by somone who could use it as a large shopping mall.

you dont agree with my negotiation tactic?

let them come to europe.
europe aint no paradise.
even if the players get 25% in ameirca its a lot betetr then playing profesional ball in europe

Mid Level exception a thing of the past?

NEW YORK -- In one small but encouraging sign in the last-minute negotiations between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association on a new collective bargaining agreement, a source who has been briefed on the discussions between the two sides said Monday afternoon that the sides are close to an agreement on one "system" aspect that has proven troublesome -- a new, shorter mid-level exception for free agents.
Owners have sought a major reduction in the mid-level, one of the key ways that teams over the salary cap are nonetheless able to add players. Implemented in the 1999 CBA after players agreed to accept maximums on player salaries, the mid-level was designed to give non-superstar players a chance at a good payday during their careers, and it has done just that. Tied to the average salary in the NBA, last year's mid-level started at $5.8 million. With annual 8 percent raises, a five-year mid-level contract would be worth $37 million.
And while some mid-level signings -- like Detroit's signing of Chauncey Billups in 2002 -- worked out, many other players who've been signed to mid-level deals over the years have not performed as hoped by their teams. And because contracts are guaranteed, teams were locked into those deals for several more years than they'd like. Owners have looked to shorten the mid-level to as few as three years and to limit the overall amount that the mid-level could be used for.

The two sides spent almost all of their five-plus hours of negotiations on Sunday on system issues, and not the split of Basketball-Related Income that the players will receive in the next CBA.
Even if the sides are close on the mid-level, they still have a number of vexing issues to solve to keep the league from canceling the first two weeks of the regular season on Monday, as Commissioner David Stern said it would do if there isn't a new CBA agreement late today.
The sides are 3 percent apart on the BRI split, with owners offering a 50-50 split of BRI; and players seeking 53 percent. Each percentage point is worth about $40 million, based on the $4.2 billion of revenue generated last season, so the sides are $120 million apart in the first year of a proposed multiyear deal. Owners have been reluctant to go even to 50 percent, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions, while several prominent player agents and high-profile players have been adamant in asking the union to stick to 53 percent. But both sides have discussed, at least conceptually, coming to 51 percent. with Stern talking to the players about a "window" between 49 percent and 51 percent of BRI last week. The players countered with an offer of a guaranteed 51 percent that could rise to 53 percent.
On the system side, the sides are still working on how the salary cap will be implemented. At one point, the league discussed a "flex cap" that would set a $62 million cap as a goal for each team, but allow certain exceptions to a rigid final cap number. The league has also proposed a "supertax" that would further punish teams that exceed the luxury tax threshold. In the last CBA a team had to pay a $1 tax for every dollar it was above the tax threshold of $70.307 million. Owners have proposed increasing that tax to as much as $4 for every $1 in a scale that would increase as teams went further and further above the threshold.
Other issues such as length of player contracts and the amount of annual raises in those contracts and the amount of money players would put in an escrow system that would repay owners if salaries exceed a certain amount are also still far from being resolved. Players have also asked that enhanced revenue sharing be part of the method by which teams that are struggling financially be helped. Stern has said that the league will have a much bigger revenue sharing plan in the next deal, with the current $60 million that is shared between teams at least tripled in the first two years of a new plan and quadrupled by year three.
But big-market teams are still uneasy about sharing their local television money with teams that aren't doing as well. The Lakers just signed a new 20-year deal with Time Warner in Los Angeles that will create two new channels, including one in Spanish, to broadcast Lakers games. The deal is reportedly worth up to $3 billion for the team, though Time Warner has disputed that number. The Celtics extended their own lucrative deal earlier this summer with Comcast Sports New England, extending their deal with CSNE through 2037 and receiving equity in the network that is reportedly up to 20 percent.
Longtime NBA reporter and columnist David Aldridge is an analyst for TNT. You can e-mail him here and follow him on twitter.

https://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/10/10/encouraging-sign/index.html

I would love to see all these exceptions gone. Maybe I'm ignorant, but they just seem stupid. 90% of players that get the mid-level exception are vastly overpaid.

Eff it. I hope they cancel they whole thing now. I'm not paying money to see another abortion like 1999.

The NBA has cancelled the first two weeks of the 11-12 season after being unable to reach an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement.

"We depart on good terms with negotiators. We just have a gulf that separates us," said David Stern following Monday's bargaining session.

The players and owners were unable to close the gap from 53 and 47 percent of basketball-related income respectively.

"We remain very, very far apart on virtually all issues," said Stern.

On Monday, the players began taking an aggressive position on social media platforms such as Twitter. Several players repeatedly stated "Let us play" and "StandUnited", which will assumedly become an even larger refrain in coming days.

With the NBA and NBPA unable to reach agreement, the first two weeks of the regular season have been canceled.

David Stern insisted the NBA's offer to the players will get progressively less attractive for players if the lockout continues.

"Our economic situation gets worse and we have to begin to account for that," said Stern.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/215950/NBA_Cancels_First_Two_Weeks_Of_Regular_Season

Wow. How have the players not figured out they have zero leverage in this deal? If they really did pass on 50/50, they're total morons. They will rue the day they ever entrusted their futures and fortunes to Billy Hunter and phony Derek Fisher.

The players are so stupid. Of course the offer is going to get worse, because every game that is not played is money taken out of the owner's pockets, so they are going to recoup that money. The owners hold all the cards. The owner's careers aren't 3 seasons long. The owners aren't living paycheck to paycheck. The owners don't have all their resources coming from one source. I hope the owners screw the players to the wall.

This quote says it all:

"I think everybody's waiting for the players to cave. ... I'm saying that's going to be a horrible decision," Billy Hunter said Monday.

Oh, you'll cave all right, Billy. You, Derek and the rest of the chumps will all cave. And when you finally come to your dim senses and recognize how pathetically weak your position really is, you will have given up far more ground than you ever stood to gain by "talking tough". You are destined to lose.

The NBA are run by morons. Only them and the NHL are so incompetent where they will miss games twice in the span of 12 years.

"The gap is so significant that we just can't bridge it at this time," Stern said.

"I think everybody is waiting for the players to cave," Hunter said Monday. "They figure that once a player misses a check or two it's all over. I'm saying ... that would be a horrible mistake if they think that's going to happen, because it's not going to happen. The players are all going to hang in.'

....looks like a long one.....EXCELLENT!

The players are so stupid. Of course the offer is going to get worse, because every game that is not played is money taken out of the owner's pockets, so they are going to recoup that money. The owners hold all the cards. The owner's careers aren't 3 seasons long. The owners aren't living paycheck to paycheck. The owners don't have all their resources coming from one source. I hope the owners screw the players to the wall.

....you sound like my kind of guy! I 100% with you, bubba! The players have been screwing the fans for over 15 years now with "hopper" ball! It's pay back time! I hope the owners lock them out so long.....they'll be wishing they had saved all the money spent on their jailhouse tats....just to put food on there table!