What's new

Lockout!!!

Come on reset offer!
I'm with you. AS much as I love the Jazz, I'm almost at the point of not caring. The owners and players have been screwing the fans and taxpayers for years. Let the players reject the offer, the owners reset and the players decertify. Then see if the agents and superstars can for their own league. Ain't gonna happen. They won't have the TV contracts nor arena rights to do it. Oh, I guess they could play exhibition games across the country in college or non-NBA facilities. But how much do they think that will net them? Meanwhile, the remaining 300 players will be crawling back to the owners begging for $1-$2M per season; anything to maintain even a portion of their previous lifestyles.

Do it, players. Let's see if we can survive with no basketball for a season and, if it comes to that, life without LeBron, DWade, Kobe and the agents who are truly running the union and ruining the game.

I'm with you. AS much as I love the Jazz, I'm almost at the point of not caring. The owners and players have been screwing the fans and taxpayers for years. Let the players reject the offer, the owners reset and the players decertify. Then see if the agents and superstars can for their own league. Ain't gonna happen. They won't have the TV contracts nor arena rights to do it. Oh, I guess they could play exhibition games across the country in college or non-NBA facilities. But how much do they think that will net them? Meanwhile, the remaining 300 players will be crawling back to the owners begging for $1-$2M per season; anything to maintain even a portion of their previous lifestyles.

Do it, players. Let's see if we can survive with no basketball for a season and, if it comes to that, life without LeBron, DWade, Kobe and the agents who are truly running the union and ruining the game.

Yep. The owners will survive. The fans will be just fine. The players .. ??

I guess they could play exhibition games across the country in college or non-NBA facilities.

.....kind of what the AND1 League does! NBA is just a notch above that anyway. Most NBA players would probably rather play with no traveling or palming rules anyway!

So are the players voting on this tomorrow? It'd be nice to at least let the players vote on an offer before shutting the season down for good.

So are the players voting on this tomorrow? It'd be nice to at least let the players vote on an offer before shutting the season down for good.

Agreed. Here I was thinking we would know the fate of the season when the last offer was rejected. A couple weeks later we are still playing around with the notion that there might be a season. I wish Stern would come out and say that this is it and the season will be cancelled if this deal is not accepted. I know he won't for obvious reasons, but wish he would or could. Put us out of our misery already. I guess misery is too strong of a word. I have been finding other things to do rather than making my plans around watching a game.

+1. If the players don't sign, I think that the owners could rebuild the NBA very quickly with high-quality players at a much lower cost basis. There are plenty of decent players coming out of college (and overseas) who would take $500,000 or a million or three million to play basketball in their first seasons. (It might be kinda fun to watch--a reality show of sorts.)

The median NFL salary is less than a million dollars; the average NFL salary is about $2 million.
https://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_06/b4214058615722.htm

The average MLB salary (perhaps a better comparison, because it's a low-impact sport with lots of games per year) is $3.3 million.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries/avgsalaries

According to this article, the average NBA salary is about $5 million.
https://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/08/19/average-salary/index.html

If the owners could get the average salary closer to MLB levels--say, $4 million, just to be generous--then the average payroll of 14 players would be (4*14 =) a mere $56 million. And that's if all the spaces are filled. I think that they could easily get payroll down to $40 million or so per team.

That's why the players are stupid. The owners can rebuild a decent-quality NBA--maybe played the right way--at a far lower cost basis without the existing union. If the players were smart, they'd take the money and run, grateful that the owners gave them another opportunity to do so.

Interesting that the actual proposal calls for phasing in the LT increases. It's still dollar for dollar like the old CBA for years one and two. That's very reasonable.

Interesting that the actual proposal calls for phasing in the LT increases. It's still dollar for dollar like the old CBA for years one and two. That's very reasonable.

Agree. I found all this posturing (aka, negotiating) humorous up until recently. I'm finally getting pissed.

You guys complaining about the players not reading the deal, you might be interested in knowing that most congressmen don't read the laws they vote on either.

Can't see the rank and file players passing on the latest offer. If they do, they're certainly brainwashed.
Problem is...and correct me if I'm wrong...don't the reps from each team have to decide to put it before the rest of the players? And the team reps, since they are amongst the higher-paid and longer-tenured players on their respective teams would be hardliners and more allied with their agents, who are pushing for a no vote and the threat of decertification.

I'd love to see that happen, just so guys like LeBron, etc. would have their contracts torn up. Then let's see what happens when new restrictions are put in place. These idiots are set to lose tens of millions of dollars.

You guys complaining about the players not reading the deal, you might be interested in knowing that most congressmen don't read the laws they vote on either.
And sometimes there's a vote (e.g. healthcare) BEFORE the bill is even written in any form. Generally, congressmen at least get a summary and can have their aides look into particular details if there are questions. But the attitude seems to be...hey, who cares what the final version will be; you can just trust us on the details.