What's new

Looking for name ideas - exhausted

I do have a suggestion. Be mindful of light pollution. Tell your electrical engineer that he/she should be mindful of it. Make sure the outdoor lighting is at the least shielded. Also LEDS will emit blue light that is a similar color to the stars you are trying to see.

Cutoff-Lights-Large.jpg

Absolutely. We are overboard on this issue.

I do have a suggestion. Be mindful of light pollution. Tell your electrical engineer that he/she should be mindful of it. Make sure the outdoor lighting is at the least shielded. Also LEDS will emit blue light that is a similar color to the stars you are trying to see.

Cutoff-Lights-Large.jpg

You can get LED in whatever color you want, ranging from the very yellow color (2700k) to a "daylight" (6500k). The color I'm seeing used most often right now is 3000/3500k or 4100k.

You can get LED in whatever color you want, ranging from the very yellow color (2700k) to a "daylight" (6500k). The color I'm seeing used most often right now is 3000/3500k or 4100k.

SLC has been switching out street lights and what I have seen is very white, brighter, non-shielded. It's been kinda infuriating.

SLC has been switching out street lights and what I have seen is very white, brighter, non-shielded. It's been kinda infuriating.
That's what I've seen for street and parking lots as well. But you can get anything. I just installed in a restaurant some LED designed to replicate the "Edison" bulb in a 3000k. They're pretty sweet.

I'm not accusing you or anybody of anything, just observing that the current infrastructure of vacation rental properties out in that particular location is not well managed as it is, and these are complexes that have been around for 20 plus years. The Estancia building that just opened up was a dogged project and we have people literally meandering down the street in droves trying to figure out why they were sold a condo rental promising a pool, when the place hadn't even built one up to code. Then you just get grumpy and irritated northern Utahns and their enormous families yelling at service staff getting paid $8 an hour.

Nothing about this sounds easy or peaceful to me, no matter how outdoorsy and quaint the plans make it all sound. I just see another burst of population cooped up behind a couple of 25 MPH residential city streets and more man made destruction of a wilderness area.

Someone mentioned convergence. That's a good word to consider.

I also like tableau, portal, cornucopia, parks, precipice, estate?

Definitely the hard part is the combination of the different themes into a name that conveys both/all.

As far as the first area goes, I wouldn't call it The Edge. That brings out a sense of danger. Too much so. I'd go with The Wild. The Wild has more of an outdoor sense of adventure, fun and exploration without cutting off its' balls too much. Or The Wild at Timber Chase (or The Wild at other general or specific place name)...This retains the edginess you want and also brings out a sense of the natural setting with Timber and a sense of excitement with the word Chase.

For the second, more laid-back spot, I'd go with Tranquility Run...possibily Tranquility Range...it's not quite perfect but Tranquility (something), imo, is the perfect word here.

Last edited:
Begin from the Jacob Hamblin home in Santa Clara. Across the river from there, via Gates Ln bridge... I purchased everything from Gates Ln and Santa Clara Drive all the way back, through and across the river, and up to on top of the high plateau to the Bear Claw Poppy Preserve. So you're immediately out the back door to the open lands, but can walk from front door to the restaurants and shops on Santa Clara Dr.

I think you're thinking like a long-term resident. My clients are a) those from northern Utah looking for a weekend getaway out of the cold and smog, and b) people from all over the world visiting southern Utah's parks. They won't be bothered by a 90 minute drive across the desert from Vegas.

I am going for both. They will be marketed to different demographics and though the two properties are in very close proximity and will be operated under one set of books, they do not necessarily 'communicate' to one another. I think I can have two very diverse personas within one operation. One is extreme and dirty, the other is more laid back and spa like. Millennials and boomers... and they will cross over from one resort to the other, of course.

I love the word Gateway for this project, a lot, and have played with it... just can't find the right combo of words.

Many thanks to all... and there will DEFINITELY be an all-expenses paid Jazzfanz get together around grand opening time.

I'm not familiar with the Santa Clara side of things. The big mountain on the east side of the old highway 91 is Jarvis Peak, named after my great grandpa. The mine on it's east side was called the Emma or something like that. Used to be copper, later germanium, owned and developed by "Emerald Cox", a cousin of about third degree. I used to go jogging around the West Black Hill, my dad taught a flying school at the airport on the plateau, and was involved in the location of the new airport as well.

I liked to go biking up the old dirt road coming up from the Bloomington side, befolre Bloomington was there. . . . its used to be called Atkinville, and was used as a hideout by polygamists in the 1880s when the fed marshals were arresting and imprisoning "cohabitating" husbands.

I've seen some awesome flash floods in the those washes.

"Utah Hill" I believe, and you would probably know, was the western edge of the Anasazki culture. The Paiute band that came later, as you know,was the Shivwit. . . . skip that name idea.

I'd go for Anasazi Edge, perhaps.

Those hills were known as Blake's Lambing Grounds. . . . hummmmmm. . . . . conjures up some marginal ideas just thinking of that. . . .

So are you coordinating the development plan with the BLM managers? Probably can't avoid that, for sure.

The natives had the same idea you have in that area. They'd go into the mountains all around in the summer, camp there by the Santa Clara in the winter. The old site Tonaquint was bulldozed to build the I-15 freeway bridge over the Santa Clara and Virgin River.

Another spot of some lore is the little mountain over by Washington, called by the indieans "Shinob Kibe", reputed to be the spot where Jesus came and gave an American "Sermon on the Mount", according to some.

A colorful character of history, Dandiel D. McArthur. . . . not the Mayor of St. George but his ggrandpa. . . . baptized the Indians near your place, and it was documented by a photo at that time. . . 1860s. . .

Be sure to call your pool the Shivwit Baptismal, and grad the legend Shinob Kide and transport it to the nearest hill by your joint.

I know you don't do your PM box, but anyone in here is welcome to call me on my cell. hummm. . . . I'll encrypt the number and post in the LTE. Look for a nonsense post. . . . ya. . . I know. . . needle in a haystack humor there. . . .with a bogus post count. subtract one, add two, subtract three, repeat, repeat, and rinse the end with 2.

rep for anyone who calls.

Last edited:
Franklin deserves some credit for this idea. . . . couldn't think of it without thinking of him. . .

"The Federal Refuge" just a slight alteration from Franklin's paper idol.

you could build a café on the theme of "The Salt City Jail", rebuild some Pioneer house like Jacob Hamlin's and name the joint and develop the theme restaurant accordingly. It would honor my great uncle John, who hid out in Atkinville. . ..

I'm not familiar with the Santa Clara side of things. The big mountain on the east side of the old highway 91 is Jarvis Peak, named after my great grandpa. The mine on it's east side was called the Emma or something like that. Used to be copper, later germanium, owned and developed by "Emerald Cox", a cousin of about third degree. I used to go jogging around the West Black Hill, my dad taught a flying school at the airport on the plateau, and was involved in the location of the new airport as well.

I liked to go biking up the old dirt road coming up from the Bloomington side, befolre Bloomington was there. . . . its used to be called Atkinville, and was used as a hideout by polygamists in the 1880s when the fed marshals were arresting and imprisoning "cohabitating" husbands.

I've seen some awesome flash floods in the those washes.

"Utah Hill" I believe, and you would probably know, was the western edge of the Anasazki culture. The Paiute band that came later, as you know,was the Shivwit. . . . skip that name idea.

I'd go for Anasazi Edge, perhaps.

Those hills were known as Blake's Lambing Grounds. . . . hummmmmm. . . . . conjures up some marginal ideas just thinking of that. . . .

So are you coordinating the development plan with the BLM managers? Probably can't avoid that, for sure.

The natives had the same idea you have in that area. They'd go into the mountains all around in the summer, camp there by the Santa Clara in the winter. The old site Tonaquint was bulldozed to build the I-15 freeway bridge over the Santa Clara and Virgin River.

Another spot of some lore is the little mountain over by Washington, called by the indieans "Shinob Kibe", reputed to be the spot where Jesus came and gave an American "Sermon on the Mount", according to some.

A colorful character of history, Dandiel D. McArthur. . . . not the Mayor of St. George but his ggrandpa. . . . baptized the Indians near your place, and it was documented by a photo at that time. . . 1860s. . .

Be sure to call your pool the Shivwit Baptismal, and grad the legend Shinob Kide and transport it to the nearest hill by your joint.

I know you don't do your PM box, but anyone in here is welcome to call me on my cell. hummm. . . . I'll encrypt the number and post in the LTE. Look for a nonsense post. . . . ya. . . I know. . . needle in a haystack humor there. . . .with a bogus post count. subtract one, add two, subtract three, repeat, repeat, and rinse the end with 2.

rep for anyone who calls.
I called. The receptionist said I had reached the insane asylum so I know that I figured out the right number. Rep me.

I called. The receptionist said I had reached the insane asylum so I know that I figured out the right number. Rep me.

those folks who have the vivid delustions that they are "staff" tend to be like that. Don't believe anything they say.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Joe Bagadonuts again.

From a marketing standpoint Convergence is a great name (at least, it is to me). It doesn't mean much to people at first (except that it sounds nice). Then they learn the story of how this place sits at the convergence of three major zones. The story gives the name power. It must be well told. It would be fun to really perfect that. People will want to share the story with others, and many of them will want their own piece of it because they'll attach importance to it.

Unlike some of the others here, I love The Edge. That word isn't going to scare anyone away (unless they're epic wimps in which case you want to scare them away from that portion of the project). For most people, it will pique their curiosity and they will want to see it. It does an excellent job of combining lifestyle with geography. The Edge at Convergence. It's perfect. For your other section I guess you're going with something like Tranquility at Convergence. I like that too, but not quite as much as The Edge. Maybe there's a geographic feature that also describes a lifestyle. How about The Oasis at Convergence? I think that works pretty well, and I'll bet it's a very good description for what you plan to create.

As I said before, I'd leave off words like lodge, resort, etc. There may be a building within the complex called Convergence Lodge, but the project itself is simply Convergence. A name like that almost begs people to come ask you what it means. Perfect.

From a marketing standpoint Convergence is a great name (at least, it is to me). It doesn't mean much to people at first (except that it sounds nice). Then they learn the story of how this place sits at the convergence of three major zones. The story gives the name power. It must be well told. It would be fun to really perfect that. People will want to share the story with others, and many of them will want their own piece of it because they'll attach importance to it.

Unlike some of the others here, I love The Edge. That word isn't going to scare anyone away (unless they're epic wimps in which case you want to scare them away from that portion of the project). For most people, it will pique their curiosity and they will want to see it. It does an excellent job of combining lifestyle with geography. The Edge at Convergence. It's perfect. For your other section I guess you're going with something like Tranquility at Convergence. I like that too, but not quite as much as The Edge. Maybe there's a geographic feature that also describes a lifestyle. How about The Oasis at Convergence? I think that works pretty well, and I'll bet it's a very good description for what you plan to create.

As I said before, I'd leave off words like lodge, resort, etc. There may be a building within the complex called Convergence Lodge, but the project itself is simply Convergence. A name like that almost begs people to come ask you what it means. Perfect.

Joe, I'm disappointed. You're better than this.

Joe, I'm disappointed. You're better than this.
Better than what? Having an opinion on a name? Or liking a name that you don't? Put me in the camp with Joe as I like his ideas.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app