What's new

Macaroni and cheese

I hated that pasta. Too sweet. Just me? I threw out the rest of the “bulk” package after two meals.

Really? There is no sugar added. I don't find it too sweet but it does have 2 grams of sugar per serving. But it's healthy for pasta with 8g of protein and 4g of fiber.

This gets a reputation as children's food, specifically the kind from a box with powdered cheese (Kraft mostly but people obviously eat other generic brands). There's a certain stigma associated with it that it can't be taken serious as a food for adults (even though adults do eat it), but it can't be taken seriously as part of a dinner or bringing it as a side-dish to any kind of event or get-together. It reminds me of the insult Cy will sling out about being at "the kids' table," as boxed macaroni and cheese has that same vibe that every "mature" individual wishes to eschew. That said, that isn't the point of this post. My complaint is that we try to take something like macaroni and cheese and make it "adult" or something that can be taken seriously, something you can take as a side to a dinner or... even Thanksgiving. We do this because there's a certain level of "sophistication" that we must portray and so nothing less than the "age appropriate" macaroni and cheese can be used.

But this is garbage. I honestly don't believe there is any good "baked" or "adultified" macaroni and cheese. At best it's neutral, filler, and empty calories. The Kraft stuff, despite its rep, is actually enjoyable to eat (especially if you get something like the three cheese shells that Kraft makes). "Grown up" macaroni and cheese is absolutely awful. The noodles are way too soft, cooked into a mush that's hard to know where the cheese stops and the noodle starts. The cheese sucks. It's not creamy, it's always cold, and after it's cold it coagulates and is awful. The flavor of the cheese is terrible.

Why do we keep on insisting that this is a legitimate food and why don't we embrace that no matter how fancy you think you're making macaroni and cheese, it never is or will be better than just eating that **** right out of the box? I'm tired of this showing up at fancy dinners and being taken serious for adult consumption. It's phony. It's pretend. It's a mass delusion.
This just sounds like the people around you make ****** Mac and Cheese.

The best thing you can do with an egg, outside of Carbonara

Money shot at 7:48

Last edited:
A sunny side up egg fried perfectly, a poached egg, or a sous vide egg done right is the perfect egg. Runny yolk is what makes a fresh egg good. Cooking the yolk solid is like cooking a steak well done.

Now I eat carne asada, burnt ends, stuff like that with beef cooked well done. It's fantastic. No issue. I also eat scrambled eggs, omelets, whatever, with fully cooked eggs and love it.

The best beef is a steak cooked medium rare.

The best egg is fried, sous vide or poached with a runny yolk.

Just facts.

A sunny side up egg fried perfectly, a poached egg, or a sous vide egg done right is the perfect egg. Runny yolk is what makes a fresh egg good. Cooking the yolk solid is like cooking a steak well done.

Now I eat carne asada, burnt ends, stuff like that with beef cooked well done. It's fantastic. No issue. I also eat scrambled eggs, omelets, whatever, with fully cooked eggs and love it.

The best beef is a steak cooked medium rare.

The best egg is fried, sous vide or poached with a runny yolk.

Just facts.

Mods can we have this glorified rat of the sea banned for obvious trolling?

Steak should be served rare or blue.

facts.

Last edited:
Lying fish
Good cuts of beef have high intermuscular fat content. Getting that fat to render is what makes beef juicy. Leaving it cold makes that wonderful fat hard.

The best beef to eat raw is the most tender low fat cuts, preferably chopped or ground. Then you add fats that are already liquid, like oils, mayo or whatever.

Good cuts of beef have high intermuscular fat content. Getting that fat to render is what makes beef juicy. Leaving it cold makes that wonderful fat hard.

The best beef to eat raw is the most tender low fat cuts, preferably chopped or ground. Then you add fats that are already liquid, like oils, mayo or whatever.

I like sardines in pulp, preferably in the bottom of a bin.

I don't really like sardines at all.

Let's grab a beer and compare notes.

Im actually on the way to the pub, heading to this joint with eight of the lads tonight for dinner

3-Spots-for-the-Best-Brazilian-BBQ-in-Melbourne.jpeg

Anyone ever see a 5 year old order eggs over easy?

I rest my case!

Children exclusively eat kid eggs aka scrambled eggs.

Look, kids are the main consumers of apple sauce as well but that doesn't mean apple sauce tastes bad or that no adult should ever eat it. Some foods are just associated with children and I associate scrambled eggs with children.

I was trying to be funny in my first post in the thread but I obviously missed the mark.
My kids love eggs, cooked any way possible. They love to have over easy eggs. Even as young as 4 or 5 they would inhale eggs made over easy.