What's new

Milwaukee Buck's shrink calls Exum soft?

mellow

From a NYtimes article discussing a psychologist who uses facial expression anaylis to evaluate sports players.... (The Milwaukee Bucks hired him last draft).

A vexing player at the top of the draft was Dante Exum, a point guard from Australia who was projected to be taken among the top four selections. Smith had done player personality analyses but wanted to validate them by having Hill present his player assessments first. The Bucks selected Jabari Parker with their top pick, and Exum fell to Utah at No. 5.

“Nothing against Exum, but emotional resiliency, stability and an immediate, assured presence were all key considerations in support of selecting Parker,” Hill said.

Until he sustained a severe knee injury on Dec. 15, Parker was among the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year honors, averaging 12.3 points and 5.5 rebounds. Exum is averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 assists coming off the bench for the Jazz.--https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/26/sports/nba-bucks-looking-for-an-edge-hire-expert-in-face-time.html?_r=1

So is he saying Exum is not resilient, stabile or confident?

From a NYtimes article discussing a psychologist who uses facial expression anaylis to evaluate sports players.... (The Milwaukee Bucks hired him last draft).

A vexing player at the top of the draft was Dante Exum, a point guard from Australia who was projected to be taken among the top four selections. Smith had done player personality analyses but wanted to validate them by having Hill present his player assessments first. The Bucks selected Jabari Parker with their top pick, and Exum fell to Utah at No. 5.

“Nothing against Exum, but emotional resiliency, stability and an immediate, assured presence were all key considerations in support of selecting Parker,” Hill said.

Until he sustained a severe knee injury on Dec. 15, Parker was among the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year honors, averaging 12.3 points and 5.5 rebounds. Exum is averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 assists coming off the bench for the Jazz.--https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/26/sports/nba-bucks-looking-for-an-edge-hire-expert-in-face-time.html?_r=1

That's what it sounds like, especially with Exum being singled out when Parker was obviously the best player available.

You need a psychology degree to notice that? lol.

Wouldn't call this breaking news.... He obviously is one of the least confident players in the league at this point. I can't remember a Jazz player in recent memory that was less aggressive on offense. A huge part of it could be his age and the giant step up in competition.

I'm the most arrogant, cocky, and dominate basketball player when i'm playing with my friends and players around my level. But this last week I started playing in a league that was a huge step up and my tail went between my legs, and my brain stopped working. I went from making plays and shots with ease to feeling like I didn't know how to shoot a layup or dribble. I think Exum is going through something similar. Once he gets his confidence back and realizes he is belongs in the league we will see what he can really do. I don't think it will be a gradual change either. I think he will hit a tipping point when he realizes what he can do and we will see a huge jump in his game practically over night.

I dont know, but at least he has two in-tact ACL's.

The kid is 19 freaking years old. I would be willing to put my considerable talents out there to help the Bucks next year. I'm sure my non-professional opinion would be as good as this quack.

lol. Best Homeytennis quote ever. This man speaks the truth.

I wouldn't call him soft. Just intelligent enough to understand he would get few broken bones if he banged bodies.

#Optimism

Wouldn't call this breaking news.... He obviously is one of the least confident players in the league at this point. I can't remember a Jazz player in recent memory that was less aggressive on offense. A huge part of it could be his age and the giant step up in competition.

I'm the most arrogant, cocky, and dominate basketball player when i'm playing with my friends and players around my level. But this last week I started playing in a league that was a huge step up and my tail went between my legs, and my brain stopped working. I went from making plays and shots with ease to feeling like I didn't know how to shoot a layup or dribble. I think Exum is going through something similar. Once he gets his confidence back and realizes he is belongs in the league we will see what he can really do. I don't think it will be a gradual change either. I think he will hit a tipping point when he realizes what he can do and we will see a huge jump in his game practically over night.

This. And don't forget that he didn't start out playing the Bostons and Philadelphias, but the friggin' best of the West all full up of veterans competing unlike the tank brigade of the East with rookies starting with guys who won't be in the league in two years.

He learned his facial expressions from aborigines and people descended from criminals. WhaWhat did you expect? He thinks differently than american basketball players.

Also, JabAri weighs like 290. Of course he is not afraid to bump and grind some big guys.

How many 19 year olds are resilient, stabile and confident? How many 19 year olds living for the first time in a foreign country are resilient, stabile and confident?

I think many of us remember the stories about Derrick Favors during his rookie year - also at 19. His horrible body language on the court (especially after a foul or two) and off the court he just stayed in his hotel room because he was too shy to try and socialize with the other players.

The guy many end up being 100% correct about Exum - it's just way too early to tell.

How many 19 year olds are resilient, stabile and confident? How many 19 year olds living for the first time in a foreign country are resilient, stabile and confident?

I think many of us remember the stories about Derrick Favors during his rookie year - also at 19. His horrible body language on the court (especially after a foul or two) and off the court he just stayed in his hotel room because he was too shy to try and socialize with the other players.

The guy many end up being 100% correct about Exum - it's just way too early to tell.

The difference being Favors was still a much better player than Exum at the same age.

The difference being Favors was still a much better player than Exum at the same age.

It's kind of hard to compare their on court skill set being they play two different positions; but Exum's ability to see the court and his basketball IQ far surpass any skill Favors had his rookie year. Favors at 19 could dunk and rebound and on occasion block a shot.

They're both very teachable and have high ceilings. To me that's about all that matters right now.