What's new

Minute distribution between Lyles, Booker, and Pleiß?

Xsy

Assuming Favors and Gobert are averaging 30-35mpg, how many minutes are left for the other three big guys?

Last season, post-ASB Trevor Booker was getting around 20mpg, and was basically the only big guy we had coming off the bench. You know, aside from a few special guest appearances from Jack Cooley.

This was probably briefly discussed as we signed each of these players, but what do you think now that we've had a while to process it? Will Quin give Lyles and/or Booker minutes at the SF position? Does Lyles have a shot at usurping Booker as the first big off the bench? What should we realistically expect from Pleiß? Does Jack Cooley even deserve a mention in this conversation?

I think that the minutes for booker are going to be a solid 20-25 min but the real minutes between lyles and pleiss will be determined in pre-season. I think that one of them will get the bulk of the other 20ish minutes, probably pleiss because of the pro euro league experience.

I don't think Lyles and Pleiss will really be competing for minutes. And don't think the pre-season will determine it.

Pleiss had better be much better than Lyles during the first half of the year, or he will be a big disappointment, after 6 years in Germany and Euro leagues...
If 'going big', Pleiss will play, if 'small' Booker.

Quinn/Dennis will want to get Lyles developmental minutes... hopefully over 1,000, which would be 12 min/game,
so expect him to play Lyles whenever he 'can', over Pleiss or Booker...

But at the end of the year, in this order: Booker, Lyles then Pleiss. Favors played ~31min/gm last year, Booker ~20.
Expect Booker's number to dip a bit, and Lyles to be over Pleiss.

Good question. Personally I'd like to go the Spurs route and keep our starters minutes down, especially early in the year. This keeps them healthier and fresher and gets our young bench guys PT which they sorely need. Sadly, the biggest exception to this may be Burke.

Burke (32) -Neto/Cotton (16)
Hood (10)-Burks (30) - Millsap (8)
Hayward (30)- Hood (20)
Favors (20) - Booker (18) - Lyles (10)
Gobert (30) - Favors (10) - Pleiss (8)

Something like this. If we're doing well, the main 7-8 guys can play a bit more in February-April.

Agree, CL. Keep the starter's minutes low and develop the others. Then evaluate where the team is in early Feb. if we're in the playoff race, shorten the rotation at that point.

Assuming Favors and Gobert are averaging 30-35mpg, how many minutes are left for the other three big guys?

Last season, post-ASB Trevor Booker was getting around 20mpg, and was basically the only big guy we had coming off the bench. You know, aside from a few special guest appearances from Jack Cooley.

This was probably briefly discussed as we signed each of these players, but what do you think now that we've had a while to process it? Will Quin give Lyles and/or Booker minutes at the SF position? Does Lyles have a shot at usurping Booker as the first big off the bench? What should we realistically expect from Pleiß? Does Jack Cooley even deserve a mention in this conversation?

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?42236-Burks-Hood-Hayward-combo

Good question. Personally I'd like to go the Spurs route and keep our starters minutes down, especially early in the year. This keeps them healthier and fresher and gets our young bench guys PT which they sorely need. Sadly, the biggest exception to this may be Burke.

Hayward (30)- Hood (20)

Something like this. If we're doing well, the main 7-8 guys can play a bit more in February-April.

I like this idea. One problem: Burke is not worth 32 minutes, and I don't think he'll get those unless he's made serious improvement.

MPG Last Year:

Favors- 30.8 (Should stay about same, maybe slight increase)
Gobert- 26.3 (Will increase now that he is starting)
Booker- 19.8 (Likely slight decrease due to off-season additions)
---------------------
Total- 76.9

I expect Favors to get about 32, Gobert about 30 (in order to keep him fresh hopefully for a playoff run), & Booker about 18, leaving about 16 MPG for both Lyles & Pleiss. We were successful at the end of the season despite having little to no depth up front, so I believe that the FO retained Booker & brought in 2 developmental projects who won't require a large amount of playing time (while still providing depth in the event of injury/injuries-don't worry, I knocked on wood) in order to compete while also developing for the future. I think that Snyder will attempt to bring both Lyles & Pleiss along slowly to begin with, but if either prove capable of handling more minutes, I could see the FO trading Booker as he doesn't seem to fit the long-term plan. I could also see Lyles getting spot mins at the 3 if there proves to not be enough mins to go around in the frontcourt. Now if we can only get average(ish) production out of our PG position, our vastly improved rotational depth could just elevate us to that next level.

Last edited:
Good question. Personally I'd like to go the Spurs route and keep our starters minutes down, especially early in the year. This keeps them healthier and fresher and gets our young bench guys PT which they sorely need.

This would be great, and I like the idea. Just don't think it is reality, yet. With the Spurs, it's not the starters, it's the ancient ones they're resting. Our team is nearly the youngest in the league, and while Gordon looked very spent at the end of last season, don't think we'll be in the playoff hunt if we rest Gordon, Derrick or Rudy too much. The first month or so may be soft, but we're in the Wild, Wild West, and every game is going to count.

Maybe our defense will open up the opportunity, and I'd love Quinn to sit the Big Three as much as he can, giving the younger, youngers more time, but sadly, we ain't the Spurs... at least, not yet.

Booker basically had 0 competition as a backup big last year and only saw 20 mpg..... Just keep that in mind.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];1106439 said:
Gobert, Favors, Kanter is no competition? Go back to the Lakers forums.

Gobert and Favors started. Booker only got 22 mpg post-All-Star (which is basically post-Kanter). When Kanter was there he was getting 18 mpg. So when our big rotation was 1 deeper, he got 4 less mpg than when he had 0 competition to being the main backup.

I like this idea. One problem: Burke is not worth 32 minutes, and I don't think he'll get those unless he's made serious improvement.

If you want the best defense in the league to go from 38% shooting defense to 44%. Defense wins championship. We FINALLY have winning basketball and fans fight it because Trey puts a dick pic on twitter.

Gobert and Favors started. Booker only got 22 mpg post-All-Star (which is basically post-Kanter). When Kanter was there he was getting 18 mpg. So when our big rotation was 1 deeper, he got 4 less mpg than when he had 0 competition to being the main backup.

Only so many minutes in a game. You want a BACKUP to play 32 minutes? LLF

Whoever plays better gets more minutes.
Duh

So who plays better and gets what amount of minutes?
That is what is being discussed.

This thread was not made to discuss whether playing better gets a player more minutes than playing worse. We all know about that principle already

Hayward (30)- Hood (20)

I just got sick to my stomach seeing burke get that many minutes. I could see Lyles getting a few minutes at the 3