What's new

Minute distribution between Lyles, Booker, and Pleiß?

Good question. Personally I'd like to go the Spurs route and keep our starters minutes down, especially early in the year. This keeps them healthier and fresher and gets our young bench guys PT which they sorely need. Sadly, the biggest exception to this may be Burke.

Burke (32) -Neto/Cotton (16)
Hood (10)-Burks (30) - Millsap (8)
Hayward (30)- Hood (20)
Favors (20) - Booker (18) - Lyles (10)
Gobert (30) - Favors (10) - Pleiss (8)

Something like this. If we're doing well, the main 7-8 guys can play a bit more in February-April.
Hayward, Favors and Gobert should be getting around 33-35 minutes a game. I'd prefer Trey only getting about 25 mins a game.

If we stick with Burke, Neto, & Cotton at PG, I doubt that there will be an established minute allocation unless one of them really separates themselves from the others. My guess is that minutes will be determined by matchups & performance. If I had to guess (assuming that we stick with the PG trio for the entire year), I would say that it's starts off as:

Burke: 24
Neto: 14
Cotton: 10

& ends up:

Neto: 22
Burke: 14
Cotton: 12

It's difficult to predict how this will play out as I believe who starts at PG will be influenced by who ends up starting at SG & it would obviously change if Snyder decides to try Burks out at the point. Unless Burke miraculously turns into a pass 1st PG who doesn't force his own shot, Neto turns out to be a prolific passer with above-average defense, or Cotton vastly improves on the defensive side of the ball, I'm not completely confident in any of these options. I still believe that our eventual starter isn't currently on the roster yet, unless one of the above scenarios occurs or Snyder decides to go with a non-traditional option such as playing Burks at PG or starting Millsap & having him guard opposing PG's while running the offense thru Hayward & Hood (or Burks).

Last edited:
If we stick with Burke, Neto, & Cotton at PG, I doubt that there will be an established minute allocation unless one of them really separates themselves from the others. My guess is that minutes will be determined by matchups & performance. If I had to guess (assuming that we stick with the PG trio for the entire year), I would say that it's starts off as:

& ends up:

It's difficult to predict how this will play out as I believe who starts at PG will be influenced by who ends up starting at SG & it would obviously change if Snyder decides to try Burks out at the point. Unless Burke miraculously turns into a pass 1st PG who doesn't force his own shot, Neto turns out to be a prolific passer with above-average defense, or Cotton vastly improves on the defensive side of the ball, I'm not completely confident in any of these options. I still believe that our eventual starter isn't currently on the roster yet, unless one of the above scenarios occurs or Snyder decides to go with a non-traditional option such as playing Burks at PG or starting Millsap & having him guard opposing PG's while running the offense thru Hayward & Hood (or Burks).

Last edited:
If we stick with Burke, Neto, & Cotton at PG, I doubt that there will be an established minute allocation unless one of them really separates themselves from the others. My guess is that minutes will be determined by matchups & performance. If I had to guess (assuming that we stick with the PG trio for the entire year), I would say that it's starts of as:

& ends up:

Burke going to play 32-34 minutes and we will lead league in defense once again.

If we stick with Burke, Neto, & Cotton at PG, I doubt that there will be an established minute allocation unless one of them really separates themselves from the others. My guess is that minutes will be determined by matchups & performance. If I had to guess (assuming that we stick with the PG trio for the entire year), I would say that it's starts of as:

& ends up:

Burke going to play 32-34 minutes and we will lead league in defense once again.

I like this idea. One problem: Burke is not worth 32 minutes, and I don't think he'll get those unless he's made serious improvement.

I know he's not worth it. I basically said that. But I think Neto and Cotton are way worse than people understand right now. Cotton shot worse in SL than Burke did last year. And that's against d league scrubs. And he's gonna get killed on d. Neto's stats in Europe left a lot to be desired. I doubt he's very good on d either.

I just don't see how Burke doesn't get 32 minutes or so unless we bring in some vet. Who's that vet who was traded like five times this summer? He may be decent.

Neto fits the first team alot better then Burke or cotton. he shot 38% from 3 3 years ago. if he can n
knock down the corner 3. he is the best passer of the 3 and he might be able to play passable defense.

Neto fits the first team alot better then Burke or cotton. he shot 38% from 3 3 years ago. if he can n
knock down the corner 3. he is the best passer of the 3 and he might be able to play passable defense.

3 years ago. This was in high school yes? Do you know what Trey shoots in high school? Does not matter. Im not trading league best defense for passable defense. What a joke.

Booker will get the bulk of them. He's more experienced, usually provides a big spark of energy off the bench, and just an overall better player than the other two until proved otherwise.

I imagine Booker will get 22 or so minutes, Lyles will get 8, and Pliess will get 6 (if there are 36 minutes to spread around).

Booker will get the bulk of them. He's more experienced, usually provides a big spark of energy off the bench, and just an overall better player than the other two until proved otherwise.

I imagine Booker will get 22 or so minutes, Lyles will get 8, and Pliess will get 6 (if there are 36 minutes to spread around).

I think it will be more like the Gobert/Booker split when Kanter was still here. IDK what Pleiss will get. He might just be situational for when teams have big backups.

Think it could start like this, but think Lyles gets more mins then Booker by seasons end. Lyles is just to skilled. Just needs to be acclimated to the NBA

Like Exum Last year I refuse to hold anything against Lyles this year. It will be great if he is getting minutes and stealing them from Booker and Pleiss by the end of the year. But don't hold your breath. He's so young and raw I just don't think his stats this year matter than much.
If Burke is getting 32 minutes a game we are in trouble. And will likely not even push for the playoffs.

Pleiss had better be much better than Lyles during the first half of the year, or he will be a big disappointment

Lyles is a top college recruit from the most dominant hoops program, you really can't compare to a player who is here primarily due to size. Talent wise and upside, there is no comparison.

No sure Booker is part of the long-term build plan to get a championship-competitive team in 2-3 years. Feels he is a glue and culture guy to bridge the gap between now and then. If Jazz start wanting to win more now, Booker gets minutes. If they still in "developing for top 4 seed in 2017" mode, then it will be more Lyles and Pleiss. Playing Booker more feels like it falls into the category of "skipping steps" that has been widely disparaged by Jazz mgmt.

Lyles is a top college recruit from the most dominant hoops program, you really can't compare to a player who is here primarily due to size. Talent wise and upside, there is no comparison.

Eh, our best player never played a game in college nor was he heavily recruited. I consider Pleiss a more valuable asset. You can't teach 7'3" with offensive skills, and that contract is amazing after seeing Kanter get paid 17 million a year.