What's new

Mitchell injury

It sucks Don is pissed.

It also sucks that the Knicks aren’t the joke they used to be. I think we all know where this is trending in a few years, as much as we hate to admit it.

I think you re right but don’t you think the messaging should have been less certain he was going to play... it sounded like our guys were blindsided. Like shouldn’t the evaluation have taken place like the day before the game if it was up in the air... shouldn’t the guy be listed as a game time decision?

Again if this is the staff’s reputation on the line that is still ego. Better safe than sorry is nice but you can absolutely be too conservative. There has to be some middle ground here too... like “hey we understand you feel good enough to go... we disagree but maybe we can do a minute restriction thing and see how it’s running”. The description given is they didn’t like how something looked... great... that gonna change in 2 days in a meaningful way?

There is really no good option in this deal... either the guy is really hurt or he’s a diva or our training staff had their feelings hurt and are now being salty... just different shades of ******. This sucks.
If Donovan has his own medical team now it might just be that the medical staff hasnt even been able to see him until that time. The decision to remove him might have come from his people to whoever handles that, and they may have strong-armed whoever it was to take him off.

Mitchell has every right to be pissy in this situation. There are two options here and none reflect great on the organization:

1. Mitchell's injury is worse than we're being told, which if that's the case, it's really ****ing odd that they took him off the injury list and basically led the team, media and fans to believe he was going to play, just to abruptly change course. If they are that concerned with his injury, it's really hard to rationalize that two days will really be the difference maker for his needed return after he sat out the last six weeks. And that still doesn't get into why they moved forward and acted like he was playing. If Mitchell, and the coaching staff, as well as the team, thought he was playing, that's just horrible transparency and communication from the trainers and Mitchell deserves to be angry.

2. Mitchell is ready to play, but the trainers forced him to sit out of ****ing spite.

Those are the likely two options we're dealing with here and neither make Utah look good.

Your trying to pin this on Mitchell is just wrong. Mitchell should be raising hell, especially if it's the latter and he was only sat due to some weird power struggle.
Uhh, it's 10000% on Mitchell. He's the guy who has decided to involve another medical team which is likely what is causing the confusion over the whole situation. How can anything be reported when internally there are two conflicting reports?

Was just saying this to a buddy. Yeah we are close to it because this is our team, but christ, we can NEVER get out of our own way. I put a lot of this on DL. Dude always thinks he's really slick.
Can't wait for Spence to interview him and talk to him about the weather, Baylor basketball, and his family vacation plans for 25 minutes and then let him off the phone without answering one ****ing relevant question.

Uhh, it's 10000% on Mitchell. He's the guy who has decided to involve another medical team which is likely what is causing the confusion over the whole situation. How can anything be reported when internally there are two conflicting reports?
Well, Donovan wanted to play and said he was ready, so it surely wasn't his team that made the decision.

Don didn't pass the balance beam test I guess...

Would be nice for some of the posters that are actual doctors could weigh in... paging @infection

Medical treatments and diagnosis could be easy to disagree on but not if this is a sprained ankle... is it a high ankle sprain... because they said it wasn't... was there additional ligament damage or some sort of fracture? There shouldn't be disagreements this strongly on a sprained ankle.
Everything fits into individualized scenarios with many different variables and moving pieces. It's something I've tried to stress heavily on this forum on many issues because as a society we look at these things as very black and white and view things as being tight protocols. Any time I suggest things can enter decision-making that's influenced by a myriad of other issues not pertinent to the actual issue at hand, people act like I'm crazy, because from a societal point of view everything always looks all neat and tidy and all science-y where they ask the magic 8 ball and the universe spits back unadulterated truths.

That said, I have no idea what's going on here, but a disagreement in how this is managed, even amongst competent professionals, is not out of the ordinary, and I'd even argue is standard. People are going to have strong opinions. I've preached Venn-diagram influences in these decisions and absolutely nobody makes a decision they otherwise didn't have the ability to make simply by something like spite or bias. It's just that the bubble for spite and bias moves around and influences the decision to be made that's more consistent with it. This can be a very unconscious process.

I don't know if what factors into this or why said decision was actually made, but the above is completely reasonable. Never assume that there's one well laid out pathway that you follow that comes from some holy writ of medical practice. There's more uncertainly and guesswork and bias at the highest levels than anyone cares to recognize.

Remember when Mitchell said his injury was a lot less "minor" then everyone was led to believe?

Yeah, that's making a lot more sense now. **** our medical staff.

If Donovan has his own medical team now it might just be that the medical staff hasnt even been able to see him until that time. The decision to remove him might have come from his people to whoever handles that, and they may have strong-armed whoever it was to take him off.
He was cleared to practice though... right? He was cleared to scrimmage. His team can't make those calls I assume.

I'm fine with a guy getting his own medical staff if he feels the medical staff isn't performing or disagrees with their assessments. If there was obvious friction here someone from the front office should have been involved and it should not come down to a decision the day of the game. You have to anticipate this type of **** happening and there was enough smoke to see there was an issue here.

This shouldn't be black or white... if the med staff doesn't think he should play and he is pushing to play I think you find some other conditions and CYA by saying I think he should sit. Its a slippery slope though.

This is a blame pie and everyone deserves a little slice... front office should get a healthy portion for not participating enough.

He was cleared to practice though... right? He was cleared to scrimmage. His team can't make those calls I assume.
He was literally cleared to play (lmao!).

His team can't make those calls. The Jazz medical staff straight up botched it. Horrifically. And it left our team blindsided hours before a playoff game.

This is a blame pie and everyone deserves a little slice... front office should get a healthy portion for not participating enough.
Nah. DL learned from the best. I mean, we're still fighting about Sloan vs. DWill when that's a false dichotomy, and it was the FO who botched that and put those two in the situation to begin with.

I'm fine with a guy getting his own medical staff if he feels the medical staff isn't performing or disagrees with their assessments. If there was obvious friction here someone from the front office should have been involved and it should not come down to a decision the day of the game. You have to anticipate this type of **** happening and there was enough smoke to see there was an issue here.

This shouldn't be black or white... if the med staff doesn't think he should play and he is pushing to play I think you find some other conditions and CYA by saying I think he should sit. Its a slippery slope though.

The thing is the Jazz have one of the most highly respected medical staffs in the entire NBA, despite what some forum idiots want you to believe.

Mitchell is a diva. It's proven and it's a pattern. He was ready to force the team to trade Gobert over the whole covid thing because he wanted to make sure the public knew it was all Gobert's fault and not his. Now he's doing the same thing with the medical team. He wants the entire league to know he's ready to go and he isn't soft, so he's trying to force his way into playing and he's willing to throw the medical staff, one that is regarded as a top NBA medical staff, under the bus to do so.

Damn it. Now that this has blown up, the FO needs to come clean about this injury and what exactly was the nature of it, the seriousness of it, why it has taken so long for it to heal, were there setbacks during rehab -- stop the stupid secrecy because it is helping no one at this point, only causing friction and dissension. Look at the board now; imagine what it's doing to the players. I'll say this, if Don comes back and shows no sign of injury, then you need to fire the trainers for being arrogant fools.

Everything fits into individualized scenarios with many different variables and moving pieces. It's something I've tried to stress heavily on this forum on many issues because as a society we look at these things as very black and white and view things as being tight protocols. Any time I suggest things can enter decision-making that's influenced by a myriad of other issues not pertinent to the actual issue at hand, people act like I'm crazy, because from a societal point of view everything always looks all neat and tidy and all science-y where they ask the magic 8 ball and the universe spits back unadulterated truths.

That said, I have no idea what's going on here, but a disagreement in how this is managed, even amongst competent professionals, is not out of the ordinary, and I'd even argue is standard. People are going to have strong opinions. I've preached Venn-diagram influences in these decisions and absolutely nobody makes a decision they otherwise didn't have the ability to make simply by something like spite or bias. It's just that the bubble for spite and bias moves around and influences the decision to be made that's more consistent with it. This can be a very unconscious process.

I don't know if what factors into this or why said decision was actually made, but the above is completely reasonable. Never assume that there's one well laid out pathway that you follow that comes from some holy writ of medical practice. There's more uncertainly and guesswork and bias at the highest levels than anyone cares to recognize.
1621875498237.gif
This is what I think happened... we didn’t let Happy putt.

Can't wait for Spence to interview him and talk to him about the weather, Baylor basketball, and his family vacation plans for 25 minutes and then let him off the phone without answering one ****ing relevant question.
Par for the course for Utah sports media. Never asking the tough questions
Nah. DL learned from the best. I mean, we're still fighting about Sloan vs. DWill when that's a false dichotomy, and it was the FO who botched that and put those two in the situation to begin with.
Sloan should've quit years before that ever occurred. It was clear dementia was hitting him and the FO just sat there and waited for an inevitable blow up.

ITS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS THAT THE JAZZ ALWAYS GET MAD AT EACH OTHERAFTER THEY HAVE BEEN BULLIED,SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP, THIS GRIZZ TEAM JUST HEADBUTTED US ,PUSHED US AROUND LIKE SCHOOL YARD BULLIES, WE NEED TO DIRECT OUR IRE TO THEWSE GRIZZLY PUNKS THAT ARE CALLING AND TREATING US LIKE SOFT WIMPS.

ITS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS THAT THE JAZZ ALWAYS GET MAD AT EACH OTHERAFTER THEY HAVE BEEN BULLIED,SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP, THIS GRIZZ TEAM JUST HEADBUTTED US ,PUSHED US AROUND LIKE SCHOOL YARD BULLIES, WE NEED TO DIRECT OUR IRE TO THEWSE GRIZZLY PUNKS THAT ARE CALLING AND TREATING US LIKE SOFT WIMPS.
Jae? That you?