What's new

Mitchell injury

The thing is the Jazz have one of the most highly respected medical staffs in the entire NBA, despite what some forum idiots want you to believe.

Mitchell is a diva. It's proven and it's a pattern. He was ready to force the team to trade Gobert over the whole covid thing because he wanted to make sure the public knew it was all Gobert's fault and not his. Now he's doing the same thing with the medical team. He wants the entire league to know he's ready to go and he isn't soft, so he's trying to force his way into playing and he's willing to throw the medical staff, one that is regarded as a top NBA medical staff, under the bus to do so.
The top regarded medical staff shouldn't be clearing a player to play and then blindsiding the team with news to the contrary hours before a playoff game. If there was a possibility of him not playing, he should have been on the injury report and the players should have known. The fact that they somehow missed that possibility looks horrible for them.

Given that, and given that we were all led to believe the injury was minor, only for it to drag on for six weeks and bleed into the playoffs, then they're not looking fantastic here.

I will say the Jazz organization could have spared themselves this PR headache from the get-go had they been more transparent about the extent of Mitchell's injury. Everybody thought it was minor and he'd be back before the playoffs.

ITS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS THAT THE JAZZ ALWAYS GET MAD AT EACH OTHERAFTER THEY HAVE BEEN BULLIED,SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP, THIS GRIZZ TEAM JUST HEADBUTTED US ,PUSHED US AROUND LIKE SCHOOL YARD BULLIES, WE NEED TO DIRECT OUR IRE TO THEWSE GRIZZLY PUNKS THAT ARE CALLING AND TREATING US LIKE SOFT WIMPS.
A lot of truth to this, too. This may well be a big issue, but focusing on it (as a team) is a losing strategy.

By the way, it's not *just* Mitchell leaking this to the media.

Gobert, Bojan, and Conley also remarked on being blindsided by the news.

Holy hell that's so ****ing stupid. How can we have a "power struggle" over an ankle injury? Why would Mitchell's staff and the team staff not just confer and come to an agreement? What a **** show at the worst possible time. This is so ****ing stupid. Someone in upper management needs to get ahead of this. But it's too late to get ahead of it really so now it's damage control. **** me.

So here's how I see this...

DM was not progressing like he hoped and may have wanted to ramp treatment up... med staff wanted to make sure he was available when it mattered most. He may have wanted to get into the games weeks ago but then the injury lingers... he has 32M reasons to want to play the last couple weeks of the season... even it he was hobbled.

DM hires his own staff... our staff is pissed. DM didn't clear all of our staffs requirements and they decided to hold him out... even though he may have been okay to play... almost never gonna be punished for being conservative. If they end up getting fired (not sure of the contract situation) they will get another deal elsewhere because they are well respected... maybe they even have their eyes on a market/team.

this is my "over-the-top, follow the money" conspiracy theory.

He was cleared for practice though right? The med staff may have been painted into a corner by all the folks saying he will play but they have one job here. He should have at least been listed on the medical report or talked with the coaches/players saying "not so fast". Rudy was clearly blindsided. If you want to be secretive about injuries for a competitive advantage then that is great... when the secrets hurt our team that's some bull ****.
The idea of everyone being blind-sided sure explains why Quin seemed so incoherent during his 2nd half interview. If the coaching staff prep was centered around Mitchell being back and they weren't part of the final decision it would definitely **** with their ****. Terrible situation.

It sounds like the Jazz medical team may not have their current jobs for long. Spida doesn't trust them. This was really a bad look all the way around. Them pulling the plug like they did hurt rather than helped the team.

So here's how I see this...

DM was not progressing like he hoped and may have wanted to ramp treatment up... med staff wanted to make sure he was available when it mattered most. He may have wanted to get into the games weeks ago but then the injury lingers... he has 32M reasons to want to play the last couple weeks of the season... even it he was hobbled.

DM hires his own staff... our staff is pissed. DM didn't clear all of our staffs requirements and they decided to hold him out... even though he may have been okay to play... almost never gonna be punished for being conservative. If they end up getting fired (not sure of the contract situation) they will get another deal elsewhere because they are well respected... maybe they even have their eyes on a market/team.

this is my "over-the-top, follow the money" conspiracy theory.
If this were true, why did our own staff remove him from the injury report on Saturday only to blindside everybody with news to the contrary hours before tipoff?

Uhh, it's 10000% on Mitchell. He's the guy who has decided to involve another medical team which is likely what is causing the confusion over the whole situation. How can anything be reported when internally there are two conflicting reports?
This implies the team just rolled over and allowed any and all control of their 30 million dollar investment to be taken completely out of their hands. If they did that's pain ridiculous and is a sign the org might be a giant mess inside. No way a professional sports organization would just say "oh sure you go to your doctor and we'll just wait to see what they say" then at the last second reverse everything.

Of course this is the group that led everyone, including the coaching staff, too believe that Conley would be coming off the bench last year and then on game day cryptically reversed that decision and obviously caught everyone off-guard. It's at the point I wouldn't put anything past them anymore.

If this were true, why did our own staff remove him from the injury report on Saturday only to blindside everybody with news to the contrary hours before tipoff?
Yeah it feels like if it were the case of Mitchell's own team making this call that the jazz team would leave him on the injured list until the last possible minute, not the other way around. What a ****ed up situation.

All part of their dubious plan to get fired spectacularly in the offseason and likely still collect on their remaining deal... then to relocate on a new deal. I have no idea how this works but in my super uninformed conspiracy theory this was part of the plan.

Everything fits into individualized scenarios with many different variables and moving pieces. It's something I've tried to stress heavily on this forum on many issues because as a society we look at these things as very black and white and view things as being tight protocols. Any time I suggest things can enter decision-making that's influenced by a myriad of other issues not pertinent to the actual issue at hand, people act like I'm crazy, because from a societal point of view everything always looks all neat and tidy and all science-y where they ask the magic 8 ball and the universe spits back unadulterated truths.

That said, I have no idea what's going on here, but a disagreement in how this is managed, even amongst competent professionals, is not out of the ordinary, and I'd even argue is standard. People are going to have strong opinions. I've preached Venn-diagram influences in these decisions and absolutely nobody makes a decision they otherwise didn't have the ability to make simply by something like spite or bias. It's just that the bubble for spite and bias moves around and influences the decision to be made that's more consistent with it. This can be a very unconscious process.

I don't know if what factors into this or why said decision was actually made, but the above is completely reasonable. Never assume that there's one well laid out pathway that you follow that comes from some holy writ of medical practice. There's more uncertainly and guesswork and bias at the highest levels than anyone cares to recognize.
So you're saying it's definitely DL's fault and Mitchell will play next game and lead us to a title! Thanks doc!

Remember when Mitchell said his injury was a lot less "minor" then everyone was led to believe?

Yeah, that's making a lot more sense now. **** our medical staff.
I don't remember this. Was there a twit about it?

This implies the team just rolled over and allowed any and all control of their 30 million dollar investment to be taken completely out of their hands. If they did that's pain ridiculous and is a sign the org might be a giant mess inside. No way a professional sports organization would just say "oh sure you go to your doctor and we'll just wait to see what they say" then at the last second reverse everything.

Of course this is the group that led everyone, including the coaching staff, too believe that Conley would be coming off the bench last year and then on game day cryptically reversed that decision and obviously caught everyone off-guard. It's at the point I wouldn't put anything past them anymore.
whoa whoa whoa... that Conley thing was totally normal... happens all the time... coaching staff just changed their minds and there was absolutely nothing to see there.

Our local media also hounded the GM and President of Basketball and got all the answers we needed... oh wait... they didn't comment. Quin got to answer some questions and the follow up questions were pointed and hard nosed... oh wait... there was no follow up.

Okay just sweep this one under the same rug... nothing to see here folks.

All part of their dubious plan to get fired spectacularly in the offseason and likely still collect on their remaining deal... then to relocate on a new deal. I have no idea how this works but in my super uninformed conspiracy theory this was part of the plan.
It makes perfect sense!