What's new

Mitchell injury

I'm saying that having fiction between your star player and the coaching staff / front office is not ideal and could prove pretty ****ing toxic.

It's not hard to figure out.

I mean, I know it's easy to treat players like they're puppets who are solely there for our entertainment...but these are actual real-life human beings with real emotions and feelings. And as much as it'd be nice to just believe these types of issues can't impact the chemistry of a team, the fact is, because you're dealing with humans and human emotions, it's not always that easy.

I don't think Mitchell would ever purposely do anything to harm his ability or the team's, but that doesn't mean it can't play a role.

Regardless, the last thing the Jazz needs right now is this ********.
The coaching staff is not the medical staff. I guarantee Quin/Donovan are just fine.

You can't cave to everything a star wants. There have to be some boundaries. I don't know how anyone saying a player should be held out for his health is treating them like puppets who are solely there for our entertainment, but ok.

And this is a pattern for Mitchell. Get pissy, leak to media, throw a fit that seems "unrepairable". The same thing happened with the Gobert situation and everyone got over it just fine. Same **** going to happen again.

So I think it's pretty clear now:

Mitchell wasnt happy with his rehab progression so he got his own medical team to take over.

The Jazz's staff is upset, feeling undermined, so when they got the opportunity they held him out of the game to send a message.

The question is, one that we can't possibly know for certain, is the staff legitimately making a decision they believe in or just doing it to send a message?
If the medical staff has the ego to send a message they can **** off and we can get a new medical/training staff.

What a **** show. If Don didn’t like his treatment and there was enough friction to say I’m doing it myself then we have some serious issues. I ain’t calling him a diva... it didn’t leak out until now... he just wants to play and they said no to spite him then he has is right to throw them under the bus... maybe DL can come out and discuss this... or maybe he just hides and let’s this fester while others take the hard questions.

So it's almost like the team medical staff dug in their heels and wanted to assert their authority because Donovan got his own personal trainers.

This is getting worse by the minute.
Just sent a tweet to Andy suggesting he press for more details rather than accepting their opinions. That is, why they held have the opinion that he is not ready to play. You know, that is very ignorant to accept an opinion without justification. You need details to support an opinion.

So I think it's pretty clear now:

Mitchell wasnt happy with his rehab progression so he got his own medical team to take over.

The Jazz's staff is upset, feeling undermined, so when they got the opportunity they held him out of the game to send a message.

The question is, one that we can't possibly know for certain, is the staff legitimately making a decision they believe in or just doing it to send a message?
If the second part is the case, that is ****ing criminal stupidity on their part. Like a type of stupidity and arrogance that boggles the mind.

My problem with the Jazz's medical staff is that they removed Mitchell from the injury report entirely on Saturday only to declare him "Out" the next day without any setback noted.

If there was a possibility of Mitchell missing the game, that should have been communicated to everyone. He should have been on the injury report. The medical staff didn't even communicate it to the rest of the team - they all got blindsided by it hours before tipoff.

That's just straight up indefensible.

If the medical staff has the ego to send a message they can **** off and we can get a new medical/training staff.

What a **** show. If Don didn’t like his treatment and there was enough friction to say I’m doing it myself then we have some serious issues. I ain’t calling him a diva... it didn’t leak out until now... he just wants to play and they said no to spite him then he has is right to throw them under the bus... maybe DL can come out and discuss this... or maybe he just hides and let’s this fester while others take the hard questions.
Yeah, but what are the odds they are doing it just to spite him?

The whole reason Don got his own rehab staff is because there was some kind of professional disagreement over the injury, either how the rehab process was being applied or maybe the diagnosis of the injury. So it might not just be a spite thing, but an actual "Hey this is our reputation on the line and we just don't think this has been handled well enough to clear him".

LMAO @ defending the Jazz's medical staff after they removed Mitchell from the injury report entirely on Saturday only to declare him "Out" the next day without any setback noted.

If there was a possibility of Mitchell missing the game, that should have been communicated to everyone. The medical staff didn't even communicate it to the rest of the team - they all got blindsided by it hours before tipoff.

That's just straight up indefensible.
But the medical staff hasnt been working with Mitchell. His own staff has. I don't know how the whole process works when a player is using an independent team to rehab him, but clearly there was some kind of communication breakdown. Who it's on is hard to say.

I’m not sure who is in the right here but a guy like that would have some ego... I could see him saying you need to pass my protocols and you haven’t done that so I can’t clear you... sorry.

If the injury is more serious then be upfront with the players at least... if this is a pissing contest I don’t care how good the trainer is... get new ones.

Used to be lots of players would just play through sprained ankles
They would nurse it along for weeks till it got better
Malone, Stockton etc were always playing on a sprained ankle

But the medical staff hasnt been working with Mitchell. His own staff has. I don't know how the whole process works when a player is using an independent team to rehab him, but clearly there was some kind of communication breakdown. Who it's on is hard to say.
I am working under the assumption that the Jazz medical staff have authority on whether or not to remove a player from the injury list. Either way, yes, there was a colossal **** up in communication.

Yeah, but what are the odds they are doing it just to spite him?

The whole reason Don got his own rehab staff is because there was some kind of professional disagreement over the injury, either how the rehab process was being applied or maybe the diagnosis of the injury. So it might not just be a spite thing, but an actual "Hey this is our reputation on the line and we just don't think this has been handled well enough to clear him".
I think you re right but don’t you think the messaging should have been less certain he was going to play... it sounded like our guys were blindsided. Like shouldn’t the evaluation have taken place like the day before the game if it was up in the air... shouldn’t the guy be listed as a game time decision?

Again if this is the staff’s reputation on the line that is still ego. Better safe than sorry is nice but you can absolutely be too conservative. There has to be some middle ground here too... like “hey we understand you feel good enough to go... we disagree but maybe we can do a minute restriction thing and see how it’s running”. The description given is they didn’t like how something looked... great... that gonna change in 2 days in a meaningful way?

There is really no good option in this deal... either the guy is really hurt or he’s a diva or our training staff had their feelings hurt and are now being salty... just different shades of ******. This sucks.

Just sent a tweet to Andy suggesting he press for more details rather than accepting their opinions. That is, why they held have the opinion that he is not ready to play. You know, that is very ignorant to accept an opinion without justification. You need details to support an opinion.
Andy is about the only beat writer with anything resembling balls. How is it that "sources" tell ESPN these details but our beat writers just tell us what the Jazz already told us? Oh......right......cause they did actual journalism.

He was cleared for practice though right? The med staff may have been painted into a corner by all the folks saying he will play but they have one job here. He should have at least been listed on the medical report or talked with the coaches/players saying "not so fast". Rudy was clearly blindsided. If you want to be secretive about injuries for a competitive advantage then that is great... when the secrets hurt our team that's some bull ****.

The coaching staff is not the medical staff. I guarantee Quin/Donovan are just fine.

You can't cave to everything a star wants. There have to be some boundaries. I don't know how anyone saying a player should be held out for his health is treating them like puppets who are solely there for our entertainment, but ok.

And this is a pattern for Mitchell. Get pissy, leak to media, throw a fit that seems "unrepairable". The same thing happened with the Gobert situation and everyone got over it just fine. Same **** going to happen again.

Mitchell has every right to be pissy in this situation. There are two options here and none reflect great on the organization:

1. Mitchell's injury is worse than we're being told, which if that's the case, it's really ****ing odd that they took him off the injury list and basically led the team, media and fans to believe he was going to play, just to abruptly change course. If they are that concerned with his injury, it's really hard to rationalize that two days will really be the difference maker for his needed return after he sat out the last six weeks. And that still doesn't get into why they moved forward and acted like he was playing. If Mitchell, and the coaching staff, as well as the team, thought he was playing, that's just horrible transparency and communication from the trainers and Mitchell deserves to be angry.

2. Mitchell is ready to play, but the trainers forced him to sit out of ****ing spite.

Those are the likely two options we're dealing with here and neither make Utah look good.

Your trying to pin this on Mitchell is just wrong. Mitchell should be raising hell, especially if it's the latter and he was only sat due to some weird power struggle.

Don didn't pass the balance beam test I guess...

Would be nice for some of the posters that are actual doctors could weigh in... paging @infection

Medical treatments and diagnosis could be easy to disagree on but not if this is a sprained ankle... is it a high ankle sprain... because they said it wasn't... was there additional ligament damage or some sort of fracture? There shouldn't be disagreements this strongly on a sprained ankle.

Mitchell has every right to be pissy in this situation. There are two options here and none reflect great on the organization:

1. Mitchell's injury is worse than we're being told, which if that's the case, it's really ****ing odd that they took him off the injury list and basically led the team, media and fans to believe he was going to play, just to abruptly change course. If they are that concerned with his injury, it's really hard to rationalize that two days will really be the difference maker for his needed return after he sat out the last six weeks. And that still doesn't get into why they moved forward and acted like he was playing. If Mitchell, and the coaching staff, as well as the team, thought he was playing, that's just horrible transparency and communication from the trainers and Mitchell deserves to be angry.

2. Mitchell is ready to play, but the trainers forced him to sit out of ****ing spite.

Those are the likely two options we're dealing with here and neither make Utah look good.

Your trying to pin this on Mitchell is just wrong. Mitchell should be raising hell, especially if it's the latter and he was only sat due to some weird power struggle.
At this point it sucks I'm hoping for the second option.