What's new

Mitchell's road to 1,000,000

I would really doubt Donovan mitchels number of followers translates to getting a free agent.
Really doubt that any NBA player is gonna think "man, I would love to play with Mitchell and Gobert in Utah, but damn. They just don't have enough Instagram followers"
And if that was a deciding factor I would say they are probably not the kind of player the jazz look for.

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app
They may not think that way, but having a following certainly helps.

I would really doubt Donovan mitchels number of followers translates to getting a free agent.
Really doubt that any NBA player is gonna think "man, I would love to play with Mitchell and Gobert in Utah, but damn. They just don't have enough Instagram followers"
And if that was a deciding factor I would say they are probably not the kind of player the jazz look for.

Indirectly, it will have an impact.

Essentially, if he has a ton of followers, it's going to mean he's popular/famous for some reason. The most likely reason that he would be popular/famous is because he's really frickin good at basketball. So the amount of followers is just showing us how popular/famous he is, and why. Other players want to play with good players, and they want to play for teams that get a lot of attention. Which teams get attention? Either teams with massively popular/famous players or largely populated areas that have a team (Boston, Lakers, Heat, etc).

So no, they're not going to look at how many followers he has and make a decision off of that, but his amount of followers does give us outsiders an idea of how "big" Mitchell is. And that my friend, will make a huge difference in attracting good free agents.

Indirectly, it will have an impact.

Essentially, if he has a ton of followers, it's going to mean he's popular/famous for some reason. The most likely reason that he would be popular/famous is because he's really frickin good at basketball. So the amount of followers is just showing us how popular/famous he is, and why. Other players want to play with good players, and they want to play for teams that get a lot of attention. Which teams get attention? Either teams with massively popular/famous players or largely populated areas that have a team (Boston, Lakers, Heat, etc).

So no, they're not going to look at how many followers he has and make a decision off of that, but his amount of followers does give us outsiders an idea of how "big" Mitchell is. And that my friend, will make a huge difference in attracting good free agents.

Yeah, I don't mean like that. I mean that if 6 years from now DM has 800K followers and a rookie goes to the Lakers and instantly gets 5 million followers Mitchell might decide to leave Utah for the opportunity to gather followers. It's true that this stuff matters. I have a teenage niece who has over a million followers as a result of reality TV. She makes good money monetizing those followers.

Yeah, I don't mean like that. I mean that if 6 years from now DM has 800K followers and a rookie goes to the Lakers and instantly gets 5 million followers Mitchell might decide to leave Utah for the opportunity to gather followers. It's true that this stuff matters. I have a teenage niece who has over a million followers as a result of reality TV. She makes good money monetizing those followers.
I just don't see it. I get what people are saying about opportunity, and popularity. I just don't see it as any factor in deciding where they want to play. A lot of players are just never go to a smaller market, or Utah in particular for obvious reasons. I just don't see marketing or popularity in having even close to what it has meant in the past. In the pre internet days where the only games you could see on tv is what the nba and tv station would show then ya it mattered. Big city teams got more play on tv, and players got more attention. Now every single game is on, and every player has thier own self promotion tools like Twitter and Instagram. If your good enough at basketball, got the personality and looks you are gonna get endorsements. Doesn't matter at all where you play anymore when it comes to getting your name out there. Where you want to live, type of contract, and playing opportunity, and championship shot are what matters. Just have to accept the fact that most players wont come here because, lets face it Utah is a pretty strange place. Especially for outsiders. That's the biggest factor. Utah is beautiful, clean, quite, and honestly pretty bizarre in a lot of ways. It's time we accept the fact that we don't get free agents because we are weird, not because there aren't enough publicity opportunities.

In other news, John Crotty has 2 followers on Twitter counting me.

Let's show him some love Jazz Nation .
Best Stockton backup ever, tbh, even better than Eisley. At least his second stint (Crotty's, not Eisley's).

Also, he has 3,271 followers.

Hey Haywood. Do you know why you didn't get so much recognition in Utah? It's because you were not good enough. It's not the small market thing.

Guess who is getting all the recognition you always wanted? Our rookie. If you are really good, you will get recognition whether you play for a small market team or not.

I just don't see it. I get what people are saying about opportunity, and popularity. I just don't see it as any factor in deciding where they want to play. A lot of players are just never go to a smaller market, or Utah in particular for obvious reasons. I just don't see marketing or popularity in having even close to what it has meant in the past. In the pre internet days where the only games you could see on tv is what the nba and tv station would show then ya it mattered. Big city teams got more play on tv, and players got more attention. Now every single game is on, and every player has thier own self promotion tools like Twitter and Instagram. If your good enough at basketball, got the personality and looks you are gonna get endorsements. Doesn't matter at all where you play anymore when it comes to getting your name out there. Where you want to live, type of contract, and playing opportunity, and championship shot are what matters. Just have to accept the fact that most players wont come here because, lets face it Utah is a pretty strange place. Especially for outsiders. That's the biggest factor. Utah is beautiful, clean, quite, and honestly pretty bizarre in a lot of ways. It's time we accept the fact that we don't get free agents because we are weird, not because there aren't enough publicity opportunities.

This is the opinion that I was talking about with my post. I think it's possible that you are correct. Mitchell should be a good case study in this because he seems to have everything you would need to be a popular NBA player that gets endorsements and shoe deals etc. I think a big part of attracting FA's is winning situations and money. If the Jazz are a top 3 team next year (or this year somehow) and look poised to take a step you will get a lot more players considering coming here. If anything I think that's what has changed in the modern NBA. But if Mitchell doesn't get any of these deals even though he checks all the other boxes (exciting, charismatic, successful etc) then it could show that maybe Utah is more disadvantaged than we thought.

Right now, it's up to 641k. He's gained over 4k in followers in less than two days.

At this rate, he's easily going to get to a million before the end of the calendar year.

Right now, five days after I made this thread, Mitchell has 651k followers compared to the 637k from last Tuesday. In other words, in 5 days, he's gained 14k followers. The dude is more popular than a love child between Dan Bilzerian and Taylor Swift. He's, by far, Utah's most popular and influential person and it's only just began.