What's new

Mitt Romney, Tax Returns, and the Idle Rich

What should be cut. Hard to get into everyhtign without being the guy looking at it all.

Foreign aid (that includes Isreal)
Military spending (we do not need that many bases)
Cash for Clunkers and other feel good programs
The $255 LSDP for widows
Stupid "scientific" research (shrimp treamills, pickle research...)
Ethanol subsides

The list could go on for ever.

While you do that you also need to rewrite the tax code and close all the stupid loop holes. Increase the Social Security tax to base it off everything you make not just tax the first 106,800.00 you make a tax year.

Then the Government need to get out of the private sectors way in most things. With the exception of providing awards for scientifically provable inventions and discoveries in medical care, energy independence, space exploration...

Ok shut down the military bases??? Did you know that Hill Air force base is one of the largest employers along the Wasatch Front. Which public company will take it's place? And if not here don't you think there are other locals that need their bases for their local economy.
Cash for Clunkers stimulated the auto industry when they were struggling if you want them to just go away. Which public company will take it's place?
Did you know that the government subsidies Oil? I don't get how you want them to stop with ethanol subsides yet you want energy independence. Do you mean our own oil or getting off of oil. Because true independence would mean that we don't have to use oil foreign nor domestic.

But, yes there is fat out there but we really need to look at reality. We have big money invested in the retirement and as long as there are companies making money and not hiring we are going to have to take care of the poor.

No business lays people off just to lay them off. That would be dumb. Do you think once a business provides a job they are obligated to continue to provide that job even if they no longer need the labor? You really don't seem to understand the nature of the employer employee relationship.

Why not if you can it is just like using a third world country to produce you goods. Squeeze as much as you can for as little as you can. That is what drive up profit margin with means money in the bank. Nowadays as we can see by all of the companies falling it isn't about keeping companies strong it is about making money and getting out before the company goes up inflames. Now this doesn't go for all companies. But, there are enough that have driven us into the situation that we have now. Don't tell me that all of the who were selling criminal predatory loans care that those loans are putting people out on the street all they care about is moving to their next scam. What is the difference between Bernie Maddof and Mitt Romney or any other predatory company.

Ok shut down the military bases??? Did you know that Hill Air force base is one of the largest employers along the Wasatch Front. Which public company will take it's place? And if not here don't you think there are other locals that need their bases for their local economy.
Cash for Clunkers stimulated the auto industry when they were struggling if you want them to just go away. Which public company will take it's place?
Did you know that the government subsidies Oil? I don't get how you want them to stop with ethanol subsides yet you want energy independence. Do you mean our own oil or getting off of oil. Because true independence would mean that we don't have to use oil foreign nor domestic.

But, yes there is fat out there but we really need to look at reality. We have big money invested in the retirement and as long as there are companies making money and not hiring we are going to have to take care of the poor.

Easy tubro, easy. Slow your roll.

No do not shut down Hill Airforce base. But why do we need a base in Germany? I think Germany can take care of itself.

Yes get rid of oil subsidies and ethanol subsidies. Provide a substantial monetary award for making ethanol worth it.

Get off foreign oil and get on some of our own. Mix in thermal, nuclear, compressed natural gas, solar, wind power, hydrogen fuel cells, coal...I mean come on!

Cash for Clunkers was a dumb idea. The car companies were run stupidly and we (taxpayers) should not have to bail them out. There are other American car companies that are trying to make it that would take their place.

Employee paychecks are guaranteed, the employer's is not. Income security is the trade off these innovative workers make themselves.

I know from personal experience that employee checks are not guaranteed, there just high on the list of debts paid first. Employees also risk time, health, etc. in ways that investment does not.

Easy tubro, easy. Slow your roll.

No do not shut down Hill Airforce base. But why do we need a base in Germany? I think Germany can take care of itself. AGREE

Yes get rid of oil subsidies and ethanol subsidies. Provide a substantial monetary award for making ethanol worth it. AGREE

Get off foreign oil and get on some of our own. Mix in thermal, nuclear, compressed natural gas, solar, wind power, hydrogen fuel cells, coal...I mean come on!AGREE

Cash for Clunkers was a dumb idea. The car companies were run stupidly and we (taxpayers) should not have to bail them out. There are other American car companies that are trying to make it that would take their place.I don't think that those who live in Detroit and didn't run these companies into the ground would agree. I do agree that the short sighted big bonus CEO's ran these companies to the ground. But, what about the common worker that needs that income to feed his family.

I mostly agree but that being said making govt more accountable is great. But, who will take the roles as employers we still haven't been able to solve the major problem the mega rich are holding on to their profits at alarming rates in these big companies. Or they are investing them making money off of their ability to gamble while we have to stay moderately conservative due to the lack of future SS money.

Stupid "scientific" research (shrimp treamills, pickle research...)

There is almost no stupid scientific research. About one-forth of research grant proposals are funded, the proposals are chosen by men who look for research that will be as useful as possible. You might be surprised what types of things are connected.

Cash for Clunkers was a dumb idea. The car companies were run stupidly and we (taxpayers) should not have to bail them out. There are other American car companies that are trying to make it that would take their place.

General Motors is once again the largest car manufacturer in the world, instead of out of business. Carefully considered and structured bailouts can be useful.

General Motors is once again the largest car manufacturer in the world, instead of out of business. Carefully considered and structured bailouts can be useful.

Agreed but the most infuriating part is that even if we didn't bail out GM those CEO and top partners that ran the company in the ground still made out like bandits. Same as Romney it didn't matter of the companies that Bain tried to renew for a profit succeeded or failed he still made money. So, who actually pays when the companies go under due to poor or risky upper management? The poor and the middle class once again.

So if you are going to tell me high risk/high reward it looks like no matter what happens those that should be the first to suffer for their decisions don't.

Agreed but the most infuriating part is that even if we didn't bail out GM those CEO and top partners that ran the company in the ground still made out like bandits.

As I understand it, so did/will the taxpayer. I thought we got paid back on loans, with interest, and also invested in stock that increased in value?

As I understand it, so did/will the taxpayer. I thought we got paid back on loans, with interest, and also invested in stock that increased in value?

I agree that it wasn't as bad a deal as people make it out to be. I bet it saved tons of jobs. But, those few on top made a lot more for running a company into the ground than we did. I'm not really angry with the GM bailout. The Goldmann Sach's and company that received their bailouts from the help of the like so Henry Paulson and then gave all of their senior partners big bonuses now that should cause an uproar. And because the GOP don't believe in tough regulations they are right back to playing the same games that tore up our country.

There is almost no stupid scientific research. About one-forth of research grant proposals are funded, the proposals are chosen by men who look for research that will be as useful as possible. You might be surprised what types of things are connected.

I just negged you on some stupid post earlier about the poooor poor employees, but I would +13 this one if I could.

Aren't you glad they came up with rep system it make poster like you feel important.

True. It also lets the World Wide Webz know that anything that pops up under your name is pure rubbish, and should be treated as such. Thanks to the rep system, everyone knows beforehand that everything you're typing is wrong and/or stupid. It's like an ignore feature without ignoring. I love it.

Why is there such an uproar over how he's given the LDS church more money via tithing than taxes? He's not the one that set the tax rate

I know from personal experience that employee checks are not guaranteed, there just high on the list of debts paid first. Employees also risk time, health, etc. in ways that investment does not.

That's the exception to the rule and my point remains unaffected.

As to the health, etc. that's what we have OSHA, MSHA, workman's comp., etc. for. I worked for a place that I didn't consider good for my health (although it magically passed OSHA inspections). I worked on bettering my situation where many of my co-workers and friends took the easy route staying. We are living with our choices. If you choose to work in a hazardous environment then deal with the consequences.

While you do that you also need to rewrite the tax code and close all the stupid loop holes. Increase the Social Security tax to base it off everything you make not just tax the first 106,800.00 you make a tax year.

My question to you is this: Social Security was meant to be a safety net to help those out who need it. Then it morphed into a "retirement plan" and people began to only rely on SS in their old age. Now, you want to raise the tax on wages above $106,800. Here is the problem. I would like to believe that most people making more than that are responsible people. They put money away in IRA's, 401K plans, etc. When they hit retirement age, they will be taxed on their SS withdrawls, which means they have been taxed twice on that money. Odds are, by the time I get to that point, I will not be allowed to withdraw any of that money. So, why should I be forced to pay into a "retirement plan" where I am supposed to get ALL of that back someday, if I live long enough, when it is pretty much guaranteed that I won't ever see a dime? Basically you are asking me to pay for someone else's retirement, when I saved up and lived responsibly my whole life and they did not. I have no problem helping, but taking and giving to someone that squandered their time is not the same as helping.

And, don't give me this line about they were too poor. No one is too poor to save for their retirement. Now, you may be too poor for satellite tv, cell phones, McDonald's, etc AND a retirement, but not both. I see 25-40 patients a day that are on some form of government assistance. 90% wouldn't have to be on it if they could have some financial training. They all have smart phones. If you put that money every month towards a retirement plan you could easily retire without the aid of SS or raising taxes on me.

Heck, between welfare, cash assistance and food stamps, there are a lot of MEDICAL STUDENTS getting over $2,000 a month in assistance. You could easily save for retirement with that help from the government.

That's the exception to the rule and my point remains unaffected.

As to the health, etc. that's what we have OSHA, MSHA, workman's comp., etc. for. I worked for a place that I didn't consider good for my health (although it magically passed OSHA inspections). I worked on bettering my situation where many of my co-workers and friends took the easy route staying. We are living with our choices. If you choose to work in a hazardous environment then deal with the consequences.

Most businesses are small business and are NOT the exception to the rule. Most businesses are a bad month away from bankruptcy.

Why is there such an uproar over how he's given the LDS church more money via tithing than taxes? He's not the one that set the tax rate

This is the funniest thing of all. Here Mitt has gone above and beyond to help the poor, and he gave it to an organization that puts more of the donated $$$ into the poor's hands than any other, and he is the bad guy? Morons. If everyone donated as much as Mitt %-wise, we wouldn't need Welfare or Medicaid, and everybody's taxes would be a lot lower. Idiots.

Most businesses are small business and are NOT the exception to the rule. Most businesses are a bad month away from bankruptcy.

The largest employer group in this country is middle market. Add on the government workforce and large employers and a good portion of all workers are accounted for.

Feel free to prove your claim that small business failure is actually affecting employers not paying the last couple weeks of salary and that it has any meaningful impact (and we have unemployment insurance for catastrophic situations anyway).

Yes get rid of oil subsidies and ethanol subsidies.

Get off foreign oil and get on some of our own. Mix in thermal, nuclear, compressed natural gas, solar, wind power, hydrogen fuel cells, coal...I mean come on!

Opening up oil exploration and loosening drilling regulations in the US would undoubtedly generate thousands of high paying jobs which would absolutely help our economy but unless you nationalize the oil industry the US will not necessarily "get off foreign oil". If China is willing to pay more for said oil why can Exxon not sell their wares to the highest bidder?