What's new

Mom battling school board because of yoga.

Oh my, where to start on this.... yoga is apparently a no no for catholics, because apparently doing it is against the catholic faith. Like seriously, how maniac you need to be to put so much effort in fighting school because of stretching and exercise whatever its origins are??
Are mormons, jews, muslims and other major religions against yoga as well??

Please stop making sweeping generalizations. It is such a dangerous practice. Just because one Catholic family doesn't do yoga doesn't mean the Catholic church doesn't allow yoga. There are an estimated 1.2 billion Catholics in the world. It is complete and utter nonsense to judge 1.2 billion people based off the decision of one family. (It could also be hateful, ignorant, and bigoted.)

I'm a member of the Restored Church of Jesus Christ (new nickname for my Church, we don't like going by "Mormon" anymore because we want the focus to be on Jesus Christ, not Mormon.) Sometimes I do yoga. Sometimes I meditate. Unfortunately, there were some other members of the church who got offended when a school in Utah started offering yoga classes. I STRONGLY disagree with these people. I'm pretty sure 95+% of my local congregation would disagree as well (I hope its 100%!). The church has never made a statement about yoga. I can't fathom why these parents are so paranoid. Unfortunately, people read an article about a "Mormon" parent getting upset about yoga in schools and draw the conclusion that Mormons are against yoga. It is not true.

It is 2018. We have to find a way to stop making such ridiculous generalizations. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too with groups I'm not familiar with. So let's just try to do our best. Whenever you read a headline that has the intent to shock you, take a deep breath and stop and think. Realize headlines don't sell if they are full of common sense. Make sure you don't judge a group of people based of the behaviors of the fringe.

P.S. Did you know the word Catholic means "Universal" or "All embracing"? It is the intent of the Catholic church to bring diverse people together in one faith. If you have a congregation of 1.2 billion, 14 million, of 30... there is going to be variety in thought and practice. Try not judge a large group off of one individual!

I'm all for yoga. I often meditate upon fine young ladies wearing yoga pants.
The problem arises when some 200+ lb woman crams her jelly rolls into them and thinks she's sexy parading around in public.

Please don't fat-shame.

Meditation and yoga do not have to be "spiritual" practices. They are good for mind and body. While I haven't done much yoga, regular meditation makes my life go better - I'm calmer, clearer, better. I'm also an atheist, and I do not feel like I am reaching out to a higher power, but reaching inward for my own power.
While I'm not an atheist, I also meditate and find it helpful. There is no conflict (or even connection) between my religious beliefs and my meditative practices. Yoga sometimes comes with spiritual teachings and traditions, but they are not necessarily connected. My daughter loves to go to an ashram in the Bahamas and she has shared some of her experiences with me. But that is the limit of my knowledge of yoga.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

More pics please (the MVP and GF variety rather than the jack strop variety)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh my, where to start on this.... yoga is apparently a no no for catholics, because apparently doing it is against the catholic faith. Like seriously, how maniac you need to be to put so much effort in fighting school because of stretching and exercise whatever its origins are??
Are mormons, jews, muslims and other major religions against yoga as well??
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...SKKtAJXh_XTJ2yc9vrAQCmvqopE7VpfnG57u1F4FJyqOQ

Catholics aren't against yoga lol.

"The Jones family is agnostic and doesn’t perform male circumcision because it’s rooted in Judaism. Whether or not agnostics should perform male circumcision is debatable. Some believe physical aspects, such as possible loss of a minute amount of physical pleasure, are acceptable, but spiritual elements, such as forcing it as a mantra, are not. And some, like the Jones, prefer to avoid circumcision altogether.

I don’t know any administrator who wouldn’t just get to the heart of this issue and grant these parents their wishes. Is this really a hill worth dying on?

I'm all for yoga. I often meditate upon fine young ladies wearing yoga pants.
The problem arises when some 200+ lb woman crams her jelly rolls into them and thinks she's sexy parading around in public.
cb4e39f89aba35b7d6fe9d7fc630688e--sweat-pants-funny-yoga.jpg
There is a difference between yoga pants and what women call leggings. I wouldn't call those tight pants leggings, but that's what women call them.

No, it doesn't. Fat people shouldn't feel obligated to hide parts of their bodies that thin people are allowed to expose.

OK then But he wasn't asking a fat person to hide anything, merely critiquing her fashion sense of what does and doesn't look good. He's supposed to find that attractive ?

OK then But he wasn't asking a fat person to hide anything, merely critiquing her fashion sense of what does and doesn't look good. He's supposed to find that attractive ?

Is she supposed to only dress in ways that he finds attractive? What if he doesn't find anything she wears attractive? Should she stay home?

Believe it or not, most women do not spend every minute of their lives wondering if they will be viewed as attractive by strangers. It's not our job to please your eye.