Murder Among the Mormons

FAILED STATE

I was aware of the White Salamander Letter before I watched this doc. But I hadn’t ever heard the full plot.
This is definitely a must-see for anyone with a Utah and/or Mormon background.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Good doc.
Rigby ftw
I’ll admit, he looked a bit different, and somehow sounded smarter (or less clueless), and like someone you’d take seriously, much more so than anything I ever heard came out of his mouth or body language during his entire Jazz tenure.

FAILED STATE

I’ll admit, he looked a bit different, and somehow sounded smarter (or less clueless), and like someone you’d take seriously, much more so than anything I ever heard came out of his mouth or body language during his entire Jazz tenure.
Honestly, since it could’ve been him that picked up the package—and now that I know he’s lived his life knowing just that—I’ve started feeling bad about all my Rigby jokes.

Last edited:

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Staff member
So what is the general story, I guess that isn't enough for me to prompt my memory.

Edit: Never mind I googled it. It is the Mark Hofmann bombings.

I will tell you the mormon explanation for the document side of this. It is the fact that the church is still run by human beings, and as human beings they want validation, as we all do. So when something like this comes up the human side will want find something to believe in it. Same goes for the opponents of the church. They are excited to see things proven wrong. So even when the documents were shown to be false, simply the fact that the leadership of the church become so interested in the documents which are shown to be forgeries cause people to point to that as the unassailable evidence the church is a fraud, since they were duped, but in the end everyone was duped. And since the church is still run by humans, they are subject to dupery (is that a word?) like everyone else is. So the church stance most often is that the divine nature of the church and its mission is not changed simply because the leadership occasionally fall to normal human temptations, as humans are wont to do. And God planned for all this as he knew he was entrusting his church to mere humans, and so the flaws of the latter are accounted for in the teachings and governance of the organization.

One way to look at this is that our system of government in America is great, and resilient, and overall generally effective in maintaining our unique democracy. Revered by many, if not most. Recently we had members of that leadership go astray, and support someone who didn't uphold the values we all associate with our republic. They even defended a group that stormed the capitol and ended in deaths there. Does this mean that the entire institution is now "false" and needs to be torn down? Do we need to help people escape America since the leadership is shown to be fallible? No, the organization can weather this storm, and in the end the ship will be righted.

The mormons view this much the same way. The base organization is good and right, even when the people in it are behaving, well, like humans.

In a nut shell anyway.

I wasn't really aware of things at the time, but from what I've read and thought about it since, that seems like a really accurate description.

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Staff member
Interestingly, half of the episodes are directed by Jared Hess, the Napoleon Dynamite super and director.

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Staff member
Ok just finished the first episode. I thought it was really well done! Looking forward to the rest.

cowhide

I was in college when this was going on. I watched it to see if I remembered as it happened. What always bothered me was how much credibility everyone gave to Hoffman. He was a great forger but the number of rare documents he "discovered" should have been a red flag. It is rare to fine one or two and even three historical documents of the importance he found. I think in the series they mentioned he discovered 40. I just remember thinking, Come on .. that is just too many "discoveries" but because he was such a great forger I guess he had built up his credibility.

As far as people saying the church is run by humans which is true but the church members view their leaders as prophets who communicate directly with God. So with this standard they are judged and come across as being definitely human but also dishonest. Whatever you believe about the LDS leadership at the time it was not good press for the LDS church and that is why they wanted to buy the documents from the public. The whole story is sad and Hoffman was very smart but he was also a sociopath and deserves what he got. I thought Netflix did a good job and I enjoyed the fact that they explained how he created the documents.

cowhide

The other thing that left an impression was how people where still dealing with the emotions of being duped after all theses years. It was heart-breaking to see. As I have experienced this in my own life, I can tell you that finding out someone was lying to your face and living a second life that betrayal never goes away. It is a painful cross to bear. My heart goes out to those people.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
The other thing that left an impression was how people where still dealing with the emotions of being duped after all theses years. It was heart-breaking to see. As I have experienced this in my own life, I can tell you that finding out someone was lying to your face and living a second life that betrayal never goes away. It is a painful cross to bear. My heart goes out to those people.
If you would like to share, I would like to listen to your experience

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I know exactly how that feels. When I was 11 I found out my dog was going to the neighbor's house for treats. I confronted her about it, and she was speechless. I don't think either of us looked at the other the same way after that.