What's new

My impression

Primetime's post outlines that the essence of defense in NBA is team defense. It is certainly better to have individuals Who can be good defenders, but you Cannot live without team D. (This is most evident against a team like the Spurs.

With Boozer and Memo,(and Ak who was good individually) the jazz went 21-4 over a stretch with the only metric change was points per 100 possessions . (I don't recall what year). AK then has injury and the defensive pp 100 metric goes back up and the Jazz are back to"normal"record .

Practicing Team D and Team 0 are high priorities for Jazz. Watching DF and EK , I don't worry about them as defenders . This is a metric that is more correlated to coaching. And this is the reason the Jazz stick With fixed (or fairly fixed) rotations. And here goes,: I think it is a big part of the love for vets. Marvin has provided the ''team element" and so has RJ . (Josh Howard was a failure in this regard) But now that the core5 have shown so well,lets see what happens to the rotations.

And finally, Big AL has better numbers on post up defense, which seems right to me. He is pretty good at that. DF will get there but this year, he is playing/ practicing fundamental defense. His D looks'formal"to me in that he is doing as instructed; it is not instinctual yet. (and he would still not get vet-benefits regarding fouls) Enes... I haven't conclude. I'm not so confident with his D. But he needs enough time back from injury And extended mins to evaluate his capability.

You might call this Kanter and Favors needing Burke, Hayward, Burks and the other perimeter players to not make so many mistakes. The bigs are always the last line of defense but it isn't all there responsilibity.

So does team defensive strategy matter?

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Exactly, those charts don't take anything like that into account. Lets look at the defense per possession among their starters. Al is right at home.

Gilchrist: 0.99
McRoberts: 1.04
Walker: 1.04
Henderson: 1.06
Jefferson: 1.07

Kanter = Al Jefferson. I don't think Kanter is a long term answer. Build him up, get the #3 pick, package Kanter and #3 for #2 and take Jabari. Championship.

If Jabari is as good as some think, you could package any 3 of the core5 for that deal and it would be smart.