What's new

NBA Top Shot

I still just don't get it. I really can't see what is being collected here. I can see these "moments" on youtube (I googled the Clarkson one and found what had to be the same play, in a highlight reel video of sorts). This just seems like some kind of wonky ponzi scheme. If you got in early enough to make some money then good on you.
Remember when we collected things because we actually liked them and wanted them and not because we could sell them for more money.

Remember when we collected things because we actually liked them and wanted them and not because we could sell them for more money.
That’s the thing though... some people do like these. Kids can display a showcase online for all their friends to see... like stats on a video game.

It’s kind of like autographs... my son chases autographs at summer league and we have his signed stuff displayed in his room... it’s cool. But every year he has to compete for autographs against dudes in their 20s clearly getting stuff signed to flip on eBay. Both types enjoy the thrill and hustle.

This is definitely a little different but it has legs.

The Joe Ingles moment where he broke Bazemores ankles is super cheap... I bought it to keep. In 20 years when Joe retires as a multi time mvp and champion it will be worth more than all the bitcoins.

Is there any kind of secure wallet for these collections like bitcoin does or is everything just stored on their servers?
They are all secured by ethereum. They use the ethereum blockchain and ownership can be validated similar to how any ethereum transaction is.

This is supposed to be a very good thing for the long term value of ethereum as they are quickly becoming the gold standard for NFT security and trading.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

I finally managed to sign up and bought a moment for $12 of Conley hitting a short jumper over the Pelicans! It’s pretty sweet.

Now I’m trying to watch for pack drops, so I joined the discord and followed the top shot Twitter. I see a whole lot of noise on each (lots of BS retweets, tons of discord users chatting constantly, nothing recent in #announcements), but no notifications of past pack drops. Any tips on how to actually find out when packs are available to buy?

I finally managed to sign up and bought a moment for $12 of Conley hitting a short jumper over the Pelicans! It’s pretty sweet.

Now I’m trying to watch for pack drops, so I joined the discord and followed the top shot Twitter. I see a whole lot of noise on each (lots of BS retweets, tons of discord users chatting constantly, nothing recent in #announcements), but no notifications of past pack drops. Any tips on how to actually find out when packs are available to buy?
Get on their email list there is a link on the website. There are no pack drops announced right now. They did a bunch for the All-Star games so it might be a little delay to the next one.

@Handlogten's Heros You keep saying not to buy or sell in the marketplace and then state multiple times about how you keep making money by selling on the marketplace.

Color me confused.
I think it's great to buy into. It's pretty easy to make money. I think he is just saying it's risky. But there are so many joining and it has a lot of backing I think it will just keep growing. I bought 10 cards for $3 to $25 and they are all worth 5X+ that amount. Ive sold a few of them and got my money back. But there is a risk this all crashes. Buying the high end cards or spending a lot of money is a big risk even though a lot of people have made a ton.

I also don't think everyone is just here for money. I think people really like collecting things like this. Plus getting a pack and opening it is a lot of fun, just like it was opening normal card packs. It makes it more fun that they are hard to get.

Last edited:
Is there something out there that can help you judge a moments potential resale value?
You can follow their discord chat and see what people are saying. But mostly it comes down to how rare a card is, and what its number is. Generally popular players cards are worth more, rookies cards are worth a lot more, and the numbers change the price. #1 cards, last cards in the series, and their jersey number cards go for a lot. Generally lower numbered cards are worth more. The new rising stars cards that came out only have 2021 cards in the series so they are worth more than the cards that came out with them that have 35,000 of them. But even in the 35,000+ cards if you get the #1 or jersey number it is worth way more than a random 2021 card.

When you look at the cards though you can see the listing prices of everything and you can see the sales history of that card and see recent sales and top sales. Its pretty easy to know what you can get for it right away. But everything has generally been going up over time.

@Handlogten's Heros You keep saying not to buy or sell in the marketplace and then state multiple times about how you keep making money by selling on the marketplace.

Color me confused.
I don’t buy to flip the card. I only buy packs now and sell everything in the packs. Packs are free money... buying and flipping likely loses money.

I was in line as soon as it was available and I got put behind 97k people. What a crock of ****!