What's new

Nets Hornets Trade

Brooklyn has to make good moves. They traded all their picks for senior citizens about 5 years ago.

Cap space is nice in 2019 if there is actually somebody you want who actually wants you. If not, the space is kind of worthless. The awful 2016 contracts will be expirings next summer. This move by Brooklyn isn't a win until they actually do something with 2019 space.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

It's crazy to think that Dwight is a year younger than LeBron, that he at one point had 5 straight All-NBA first team appearances, that he was second in MVP voting the year Rose won it, and he's main value right now is that his contract expires next summer.

They didn't really save anything. They got on a longer term contract of a worse player in order to avoid luxury tax this year but will pay 17M more next year. This is such a Charlotte trade...

Howard makes 23M and Mozgov makes 15M.. what am I missing?

After many years of some of the worst moves an organization could make, The Nets have been quietly building a case as one of the more impressive organizations in the league. They keep digging out these little victories out of nothing.

Getting D’Angelo Russell was an absolute steal.

If I was Charlotte, I would trade Kemba and Batum to Cleveland for Hill and Clarkson. They could have a true reboot in 2020. Completely tank until then.

Cleveland would be substantially better with that trade.

Charlotte is a fire sale right now. They will be the new Sixers model and take some tanking to rebuild.

Brooklyn has to make good moves. They traded all their picks for senior citizens about 5 years ago.

Cap space is nice in 2019 if there is actually somebody you want who actually wants you. If not, the space is kind of worthless. The awful 2016 contracts will be expirings next summer. This move by Brooklyn isn't a win until they actually do something with 2019 space.

They save a lot of money on the deal no matter what. They've been proving they're a good organization in a major market, that cap space might actually matter, because now they can recruit in pairs.

But again, even if that space doesn't turn into max guys, it saves them many millions of dollars, and they can use that cap to facilitate other deals. And if they keep making the moves they have been, they're going to end up unearthing some more real wins anyway (a la Russell).

WOW, the Hornets have many of the worst contracts in the entire NBA

I'm expecting an active trade market today and tomorrow. I'm trying to recall, was there many trades the day before the draft last year?

This is an awful deal for the Hornets. I get that it saves them money but still, it's just brutal.

After many years of some of the worst moves an organization could make, The Nets have been quietly building a case as one of the more impressive organizations in the league. They keep digging out these little victories out of nothing.

I mean lets see when they can make moves that actually matter. They're in a position to make moves in order to be bad. Make moves to take on other teams mistakes for assets. It wouldn't be a tough job. Also, really disliked the Crabbe deal for them.

I mean lets see when they can make moves that actually matter. They're in a position to make moves in order to be bad. Make moves to take on other teams mistakes for assets. It wouldn't be a tough job. Also, really disliked the Crabbe deal for them.
They're not trying to be bad, their assets were completely gutted and they've turned some capspace into a 20 ppg scorer, resurrected Demarre Carroll and picked up a 1st for their trouble, and scooped up decent rotation players off the scrap heap. Now, they are saving money in order to pick up a better player that expires earlier.

They are turning nothing into something with every move.

They're not trying to be bad, their assets were completely gutted and they've turned some capspace into a 20 ppg scorer, resurrected Demarre Carroll and picked up a 1st for their trouble, and scooped up decent rotation players off the scrap heap.

I'll put it this way. They aren't in the position to make moves in contention because they were so far gone. Easy decision to take on bad contracts for assets. I'm not saying the moves they made were bad, cause you're right they were good. But they were in an easier position to do so.

I'll put it this way. They aren't in the position to make moves in contention because they were so far gone. Easy decision to take on bad contracts for assets. I'm not saying the moves they made were bad, cause you're right they were good. But they were in an easier position to do so.
Sure, but it goes beyond that. They're not just picking up late 1sts for bad contracts, they're resurrecting those guys, and getting top-5 picks less than 2 years after they were selected. They're doing better than they should.

They're not trying to be bad, their assets were completely gutted and they've turned some capspace into a 20 ppg scorer, resurrected Demarre Carroll and picked up a 1st for their trouble, and scooped up decent rotation players off the scrap heap. Now, they are saving money in order to pick up a better player that expires earlier.

They are turning nothing into something with every move.

The sixers deal this year was also pretty good... taking the salary dump with Okafor and getting a good second rounder.