What's new

New Trade Deal with Canada and Mexico

Aside from the cake (which many would argue is context, but whatever), do you honestly know anyone who’s complained about any of these? The Starbucks cup especially. I kept seeing all these people laughing at these people on my Facebook feed, yet I don’t know a soul who GAF and only knew about it because the people saying everyone GAF.
Some idiot said this about the Starbucks cups in 2015:

"I have one of the most successful Starbucks, in Trump Tower. Maybe we should boycott Starbucks? I don't know. Seriously, I don't care. That's the end of that lease, but who cares?" Trump told a crowd in Springfield, Illinois, on Monday. "If I become president, we're all going to be saying Merry Christmas again, that I can tell you. That I can tell you."

Some idiot said this about the Starbucks cups in 2015:

"I have one of the most successful Starbucks, in Trump Tower. Maybe we should boycott Starbucks? I don't know. Seriously, I don't care. That's the end of that lease, but who cares?" Trump told a crowd in Springfield, Illinois, on Monday. "If I become president, we're all going to be saying Merry Christmas again, that I can tell you. That I can tell you."
Sorry if it wasn’t clear: the emphasis of my question was if anyone knew anyone, rather than knew of anyone, who was offended by this. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but it’s similar to the flat earthers — I’d wager to guess that nobody actually knows one, but they’re being billed as being really common. If that scenario doesn’t tickle anyone’s fancy, substitute flat earthers for Islamic terrorists/sympathizers.

The new trade agreement is upper Midwest and Pennsylvania friendly with gains for auto, dairy, and steel. Also does a much better job of protecting intellectual rights. It's not a complete rework, but overall, it is better for the United States.

Sorry if it wasn’t clear: the emphasis of my question was if anyone knew anyone, rather than knew of anyone, who was offended by this. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but it’s similar to the flat earthers — I’d wager to guess that nobody actually knows one, but they’re being billed as being really common. If that scenario doesn’t tickle anyone’s fancy, substitute flat earthers for Islamic terrorists/sympathizers.

I know some. 2-3 come to mind of the top of my head.

I know some flat earthers. One of them is completely insane

Aside from the cake (which many would argue is context, but whatever), do you honestly know anyone who’s complained about any of these? The Starbucks cup especially. I kept seeing all these people laughing at these people on my Facebook feed, yet I don’t know a soul who GAF and only knew about it because the people saying everyone GAF.
I have family members who get caught up in this stuff. My mom firmly believes in all of the "War on Christmas" stuff, and she and others still don't like interracial pairings. And of course anything gay is a problem.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

I have family members who get caught up in this stuff. My mom firmly believes in all of the "War on Christmas" stuff, and she and others still don't like interracial pairings. And of course anything gay is a problem.

Does she frown on interracial gay marriage?

How is it possible not to believe in the "War on Christmas?" Seems like a pretty obvious fact.

Lmfao.

The only thing you see happening is the rise in those that don’t practice Christmas.

War on Christmas. Jesus Christ.
I'm not religious, and the religious aspect of celebrating Christmas is not important to me personally. That said, the political pressures to divorce that particular holiday from its origins seem to be obvious. I have seen people who seem to consider it to be a victory any time they prevent a town from hosting a nativity scene, or pressure a retailer to promote "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I can see why some people are offended by the descriptor "war" but I can also see why other's use it.

If someone said there was currently a War on Columbus or a War on Team Mascots I would say that I can definitely see where they're getting at. It seems obvious to me that there are well-organized groups of people out there who describe their mission as "progressive" and who feel very strongly about the need to scrub language of terms they don't like and history of heroes they don't appreciate. And there is another group of people out there a who wish the first group would leave their stuff alone and go find something more important to worry about. It doesn't surprise me at all that some of the people who feel like they have to protect their traditions see this as a war of sorts.

Edit: I also understand what people mean when they talk about a War on Islam or a War on Immigration. I can see why those who believe they are under attack would describe things that way.

Last edited:
I'm not religious, and the religious aspect of celebrating Christmas is not important to me personally. That said, the political pressures to divorce that particular holiday from its origins seem to be obvious. I have seen people who seem to consider it to be a victory any time they prevent a town from hosting a nativity scene, or pressure a retailer to promote "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I can see why some people are offended by the descriptor "war" but I can also see why other's use it.

If someone said there was currently a War on Columbus or a War on Team Mascots I would say that I can definitely see where they're getting at. It seems obvious to me that there are well-organized groups of people out there who describe their mission as "progressive" and who feel very strongly about the need to scrub language of terms they don't like and history of heroes they don't appreciate. And there is another group of people out there a who wish the first group would leave their stuff alone and go find something more important to worry about. It doesn't surprise me at all that some of the people who feel like they have to protect their traditions see this as a war of sorts.

Edit: I also understand what people mean when they talk about a War on Islam or a War on Immigration. I can see why those who believe they are under attack would describe things that way.

I think we'd be better off if everyone on this board celebrated Festivus. Can you imagine if we had to wait until December 23 to air all of our grievances? The site would crash.

The political pressure to remove nativity scenes and the like from public settings derives from a little thing called the first amendment. I've never seen or heard of any sort of campaign to pressure private groups or companies from saying merry christmas. I have seen companies decide to be more inclusive during the holiday season, and use happy holidays or other such greetings instead.

I know it can be difficult for christians whenever they feel like they are not being catered to every second of the day, but there are millions of people in this country who practice (or don't) other beliefs, acknowledging their existence during the holiday season is not 'waging war' on anybody.

I have seen people who seem to consider it to be a victory any time they prevent a town from hosting a nativity scene, ...

Any town can host a nativity scene, as long as they allow any other group that wants to put up a holiday tribute to do so at the same time in the same basic space. The issue comes when towns want to put up only a nativity scene, and nothing else.