What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Sometime in mid February people will accept that there is no tank.

I don't know why people are talking tank. This team is too talented to tank. Once Rudy gets healthy the wins are going to pile up fast and we are going to make a playoff run.

Yeah, they wouldn't. There is no reason for them to clear that much salary. They arnt trading the Brooklyn pick unless they get a star.
That mostly makes sense on paper. But they could be using their salary so much better. They are a significantly better team afterward. This could be their last year with Lebron.

Additionally, I can't be convinced that all of the financial savings mean nothing to ownership. This enables them to have rights on Hood and being able to pay good money for him. I think a reasonable case could be made that this point would be worth doing for the Cavs. They have to decide their direction at the trade deadline how they want to move forward, what is on the table at that time, and what matters most to them.

I don't see them getting a star before the deadline, which at that point, anything sufficiently good should be purchased with it. This also gives them some good players to fallback on if he leaves and they want to keep being good with Love.

I don't know why people are talking tank. This team is too talented to tank. Once Rudy gets healthy the wins are going to pile up fast and we are going to make a playoff run.
Then they had better make the playoffs. I just want a very good pick or playoffs. If we draft ****ing 12th... just... no. We can't expect Lindsey to just hit on those every time, can we?

We can't expect Lindsey to just hit on those every time, can we?
I would say that’s exactly what people are expecting. They see him hitting the jackpot on Gobert and Mitchell, and barely missing on Kuzma, and suddenly nobody is willing to trade our #12-18 pick for anything less than a current all-star.

Yeah, they wouldn't. There is no reason for them to clear that much salary. They arnt trading the Brooklyn pick unless they get a star.

It could be wise to clear some cap space if they deal Brookyn's pick while also adding some young talent or fringe star (a star? that's debatable but maybe). They shouldn't surrender extra assets to get rid of all their bad contracts. If LBJ leaves the worst scenario would be a mediocre veteran team with overpaid players, no cap space (+repeater tax) and no future assets in the form of picks.

Getting rid of TT (their worst contract) could help them retain IT or extend a player they receive on the trade.

The next few weeks are crucial for the Cavs. It would be interesting to see what's the value of Brooklyn's pick and whether the Cavs enter into panic mode.

It could be wise to clear some cap space if they deal Brookyn's pick while also adding some young talent or fringe star (a star? that's debatable but maybe). They shouldn't surrender extra assets to get rid of all their bad contracts. If LBJ leaves the worst scenario would be a mediocre veteran team with overpaid players, no cap space (+repeater tax) and no future assets in the form of picks.

Getting rid of TT (their worst contract) could help them retain IT or extend a player they receive on the trade.

The next few weeks are crucial for the Cavs. It would be interesting to see what's the value of Brooklyn's pick and whether the Cavs enter into panic mode.
There really isnt anyone worth adding in 2018. No one is going to want to come to Cleveland in 2018 w/o Lebron. They got to keep their lottery pick.

There really isnt anyone worth adding in 2018. No one is going to want to come to Cleveland in 2018 w/o Lebron. They got to keep their lottery pick.

I didn't mention free agency. Cleveland wouldn't have the cap space in 2018 anyway. Maybe I wasn't clear. I was trying to picture a few scenarios:
i) use the Brooklyn pick now to land a player (fringe star, starter, star whatever) and extend him (for instance a RFA). They could also decide to extend IT since they have his bird rights. Getting rid of a long term contract in the deal would help them in 2019 when they will have plenty of cap space, plus avoiding the repeater tax now
ii) keep the pick

there will be a lot of internal discussion about what to do with the pick with maybe LBJ pushing for a short term move. Keeping the pick is also a smart move given the depth of the draft. So many different outcomes depending on power and influence of key actors, Brooklyn's play, what the front office believes LBJ will do, etc. Of course, this is all speculation and it will be really cool to see what's gonna happen.

I didn't mention free agency. Cleveland wouldn't have the cap space in 2018 anyway. Maybe I wasn't clear. I was trying to picture a few scenarios:
i) use the Brooklyn pick now to land a player (fringe star, starter, star whatever) and extend him (for instance a RFA). They could also decide to extend IT since they have his bird rights. Getting rid of a long term contract in the deal would help them in 2019 when they will have plenty of cap space, plus avoiding the repeater tax now
ii) keep the pick

there will be a lot of internal discussion about what to do with the pick with maybe LBJ pushing for a short term move. Keeping the pick is also a smart move given the depth of the draft. So many different outcomes depending on power and influence of key actors, Brooklyn's play, what the front office believes LBJ will do, etc. Of course, this is all speculation and it will be really cool to see what's gonna happen.
I mean, Gilbert has said they dont plan on dealing hte Brooklyn pick unless it gets them back a star (or something along those lines). I don't think they are looking to do a cap dump and just get back an OK rotation piece.

I mean, Gilbert has said they dont plan on dealing hte Brooklyn pick unless it gets them back a star (or something along those lines). I don't think they are looking to do a cap dump and just get back an OK rotation piece.
It will be interesting to see if pressure keeps adding and Cle might consider trading it for something less. What does Gilbert consider a star vs what Altman wants. Maybe LBJ pushes for a specific player in order to stay (and then bolts anyway). What if Brooklyn wins 6 straight? The Cavs are not a model of stable organization. Those are the power dynamics that I'll keep an eye on.

Can't you trade it still as long as you have a 1st rounder (Nets pick)?

They can but they can’t trade the Brooklyn pick and their own pick... which is what a poster commented on.

You really should all forget about the Brooklyn pick. It. Ain’t. Happening.

You really should all forget about the Brooklyn pick. It. Ain’t. Happening.
Good. Let’s get back to talking about Niko. How many double teams do you guys think Mitchell would face if he was surrounded by Gobert, Niko, Ingles/Hood, and George Hill?

I think Favs is going to find limited opportunities to be a starting 4 in the league. But if that's a quote from Derrick, then it' valuable insight into DL's plans. Hope the Jazz have finally given up on trying to force a Favs/Gobert tandem. It just doesn't work.
The league has changed. And so has the Jazz offense. No longer does Utah have the PG/PF centric offense with the center just getting out of the way.
It wasn't a quote from Favors, it was a quote from Locke. I.e. Locke's perception of Favors' feelings.