What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Our window is around Gobert. Mitchell has accelerated himself to having already arrived in Gobert's window. Time to roll with it. We wouldn't trade Kanter for a Harden for FOMO on Kanter, wouldn't trade AK for Ginobili for FOMO on AK, won't trade a draft pick for Mirotic for FOMO on guy who may be as good as Mirotic...

Lol. And what if that lottery pick (our last one) turns into a top 5 pick?

Mirotic has been *** for years, puts together 18 game stretch while playing in spite and people wanna drop a top 10 pick on him?? You crae.

Please explain.

How does an 18 game stretch of hot shooting who is an UFA in a year equate to a "sure thing"?

Career 36% from 3..
It's a 20 game stretch. He puts up an insane number of threes. This isn't a guy putting up 3-4 threes per game, this is a guy putting up a career 7.6 threes per 36. If a lot of the "better shooters" who are putting up half as many attempts were to increase their volume, they'd drop their numbers quite a bit. 36% ain't high, but if you were to look at career numbers of Love, Dirk, Memo, etc., they're all in that 36-38% range. His four years in Europe he averaged 39.7% on 539 attempts. In the olympics he was 44.7% on 38 attempts. Yeah, 36% as a career doesn't look amazing, but I believe 40% or more is more in line with what he will shoot from here on out. Go look at other shooters and their first years in the league, particularly other shooting bigs. I think the evidence favors him being a 40% shooter rather than a 34% guy.

Please explain.

How does an 18 game stretch of hot shooting who is an UFA in a year equate to a "sure thing"?

Career 36% from 3..

It's the consistency that's so impressive. Pretty rare that a player has a hot streak like his. He has to be considered the reason the Bulls are winning, so it's not just empty stats. Pair him with a player destined for greatness like Donovan and I think the odds are good that he'll continue to perform. His game lends itself to long-term success.

Lol. And what if that lottery pick (our last one) turns into a top 5 pick?

Mirotic has been *** for years, puts together 18 game stretch while playing in spite and people wanna drop a top 10 pick on him?? You crae.
I'm not saying drop a top ten pick. People are saying he's not worth a first rounder! Top 15 protection on the pick gets the deal done. For hell's sake, their trying to pry first rounders away from playoff teams.

I'm not saying drop a top ten pick. People are saying he's not worth a first rounder! Top 15 protection on the pick gets the deal done. For hell's sake, their trying to pry first rounders away from playoff teams.

Who in this draft fits as well as Mirotic, even top 10? And will they be ready during our window?

Who in this draft fits as well as Mirotic, even top 10? And will they be ready during our window?

Who knows? But DM makes me beleive anything is possible. Im not ruling any of them from having an immediate impact.
And if they do thats another star player we have on a rookie deal.

Please explain.

Career 36% from 3..

In looking at Mirotic's stats his career 36% shouldn't be read into too much. There has been a lot of turmoil over the last three years with the Bulls, and Mirotic has been relegated from his starting position a few times in order to gauge other talent. He's consistently come back to put up eye-catching numbers. He was second to Wiggins in rookie of the year voting. He has been basically injury free for the last four years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Mirotić

I was skeptical of him at first because I thought he might be a cancer, why else would he have poor relations with teammates? But maybe it's not him who is the problem. Europeans generally have a more serious demeanor than Americans and he played for almost 10 years in Europe. Maybe he's been grumpy that his teammates aren't living up to his expectations. Either way I think our team would be a good fit since we are stacked with quality people.

Mirotic is a great fit. Somebody propose the ideas that make it happen.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
They've all been proposed. He certainly may end up going for a few second rounders, but our reluctance to deal a first rounder obviously keeps this deal from having happened -- they clearly haven't had any other first round offers (as of yet) as I believe that would have happened by now. We have junk contracts (Johnson) that we can send over with a pick, but clearly we've held off on that. They don't want any of our players (that we're willing to deal).

I think everybody has proposed Favors for Mirotic. However, I wouldnt hesitate to trade our first if the trade was Burks and our 1st for Mirotic. By shedding Burks, we could comfortably re-sign Exum and Hood while picking up Mirotic's option for next year. Then we re-sign Mirotic to an Ingles type deal about the time Rubio comes off the books.

They've all been proposed. He certainly may end up going for a few second rounders, but our reluctance to deal a first rounder obviously keeps this deal from having happened -- they clearly haven't had any other first round offers (as of yet) as I believe that would have happened by now. We have junk contracts (Johnson) that we can send over with a pick, but clearly we've held off on that. They don't want any of our players (that we're willing to deal).

Getting rid of JJ would be a mistake if we are going for Mirotic. If we get Miro and somehow make the playoffs Joe will be an important piece.

I think everybody has proposed Favors for Mirotic. However, I wouldnt hesitate to trade our first if the trade was Burks and our 1st for Mirotic. By shedding Burks, we could comfortably re-sign Exum and Hood while picking up Mirotic's option for next year. Then we re-sign Mirotic to an Ingles type deal about the time Rubio comes off the books.

I'd actually be more open for Rubio and our protected pick so we can get off the burden of feeling like we're obligated to Rubio. I think we'd pause because we'd feel bad sending Rubio to basketball hell, but for whatever reason I don't think we'd pause at sending Burks to basketball hell.

Getting rid of JJ would be a mistake if we are going for Mirotic. If we get Miro and somehow make the playoffs Joe will be an important piece.
If we make the playoffs then we'll be matched up against Houston or GSW and I think, despite his experience, his defense would kill us in those matchups (he worked great against LAC and not so great against GSW) and we'd be better off playing O'Neale as well as getting him some experience throughout the season without being obligated to giving Joe minutes.

It's the consistency that's so impressive. Pretty rare that a player has a hot streak like his. He has to be considered the reason the Bulls are winning, so it's not just empty stats. Pair him with a player destined for greatness like Donovan and I think the odds are good that he'll continue to perform. His game lends itself to long-term success.

Mmm, Rubio averaged 16ppg on 42fg% and 35.3% from 3 in 24 games after the All-Star break. So yeah, it's rare but players do have hot shooting streaks for a long stretch and then regress.

Contract years anyone?

Another example, Dion Waiters. He shoot 39.5% on 3s last year. Even fully healthy, I don't think that was sustainable

Mmm, Rubio averaged 16ppg on 42fg% and 35.3% from 3 in 24 games after the All-Star break. So yeah, it's rare but players do have hot shooting streaks for a long stretch and then regress.
It's a fair point but you've got to look at his body of work outside of that, plus his volume.

It's a fair point but you've got to look at his body of work outside of that, plus his volume.

Mirotic seems to be adding a few more things to his game but we shouldn't give up a good asset for a player who seems to be playing his way out of Chicago. We could also get him in a year if he really wants to come here and at that point we may have more info about who he is as a player. However, if the price is a few seconds, sure, do it.

Chicago will get more desperate if a 1st is not on the table for him and he keeps playing like this. I don't see Chicago picking up his option to trade him during the offseason: as an expiring his value at that point will be lower plus he will ruin their tank, get minutes from the younger players and continue the bad chemistry in the locker room. They don't want to carry the situation during the off-season. And what if he gets cold?. They want to trade him now. And all the Chicago Tribune articles about patience and not selling low is likely posturing from the front office, telling other GMs that they won't be low-balled. Patience is the key here.