What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Also, per 100 possessions, Rudy is averaging 20.6 points this year, 21.7 last year. I don't have the numbers, but how often was Boris assisting him?

I think a comparable analogy is passing on dealing for Hornacek because "what we need is a dynamic wing [like Jeff Malone]."

Also, I think, despite Favors' contributions, it would impact our team more if Udoh is playing.

It’s not just about control, brosephine. It’s a lot about price, too.
Decent argument. However, the odds on a price controlled rookie bringing a lot? It happens, for sure, and there's a reasonable possibility of it. We've got Mitchell, who was a diamond in the rough, and Hood who was a solid pick. But look at our other cost controlled guys:

Royce O'Neale $0.82M
Thabo $5.25M
Jonas $4M
Udoh $3.2M

I wouldn't find it wise to pass up better talent for fear of missing out on a value deal. 2/3 of our value deals are not rookie contracts. If we want value, go out and find another Ingles or Royce O'Neale.

He would be better fit-wise than what we currently have, though. No argument there
He isn't the passer Boris was. But Niko can do a lot. He can create on offense, he is very talented all around and can rebound. He is much more than just a shooter. That's why he is such a good fit.

Also, per 100 possessions, Rudy is averaging 20.6 points this year, 21.7 last year. I don't have the numbers, but how often was Boris assisting him?
Anybody have efficiency stats for Rudy? Eyeballs say that nobody on this squad has been as good a PnR partner for Rudy as Boris was last year.

He isn't the passer Boris was. But Niko can do a lot. He can create on offense, he is very talented all around and can rebound. He is much more than just a shooter. That's why he is such a good fit.
I don’t need a 101 on Niko. I’m just not convinced he’s the magic salve that many of you think he is.

The difference between a STRETCHY 4 and a STRETCHY-PLAYMAKING 4 for this team will be huge. Look at what Boris did for Rudy’s offense last year as evidence. It would also take the pressure off our perimeter guys, who could then be more drilled-in on establishing a rugged perimeter defense. We are at our best when we are guard dogs: intense on the perimeter.

Niko isn’t that playmaker
You act as though Mirotic is just a 3-launching stanchion. He's a player, and he's the best one on the market that we know of.

Why is Chi rolling with Portis instead of Niko?
1. Niko wins them games
2. Their roster is overflowing with 4s
3. Portis Ds up and is younger (I've been very vocal about my desire for Portis, going back to the draft, so I would prefer him as well). They're making an effort to develop him.

And is his play-making closer to Boris or closer to Mirotic?
Definitely Boris. Saric's playmaking ability is what got him into the league.

I definitely think playmaking is at least as important as shooting ability in the ideal PF from the Jazz's perspective. Not sure this gets recognized enough in these discussions.

That said, I do think Niko would be a really good fit. I also think there is a good chance he ends up here. He isn't the be all end all, though.

This sent me down the rabbit hole comparing playing time w/ Rudy v assists. I took how many assists the player threw to Rudy divided by how many minutes they played together. The top 5 in both seasons:

1. 17/18 Ingles
2. 16/17 Diaw
3. 17/18 Rubio
4. 16/17 Exum
5. 16/17 Hill

1. Niko wins them games
2. Their roster is overflowing with 4s
3. Portis Ds up and is younger (I've been very vocal about my desire for Portis, going back to the draft, so I would prefer him as well). They're making an effort to develop him.
Portis does not D up at all. He's a tweener on defense w/ bad awareness and foot speed to go along with no shot blocking threat.

But he will knock yo *** out and break yo face doe!

Chicago's front office has never struck me as particularly sharp. Their treatment of Butler was particularly asinine.

As for Mirotic, even if he were simply a shooter it would mean that no team would be able to scheme for DM by dropping their 4 back into the lane. But he appears to be more than just a shooter. The best players that would fit in our system would be Porzingis or Anthony Davis, but Mirotic seems to have the tools and skills to peak in the tier just below them. Adding a player like that to DM and RG would make the Jazz fearsome.

Chicago's front office has never struck me as particularly sharp. Their treatment of Butler was particularly asinine.

As for Mirotic, even if he were simply a shooter it would mean that no team would be able to scheme for DM by dropping their 4 back into the lane. But he appears to be more than just a shooter. The best players that would fit in our system would be Porzingis or Anthony Davis, but Mirotic seems to have the tools and skills to peak in the tier just below them. Adding a player like that to DM and RG would make the Jazz fearsome.
I've really soured on the Zinger. I'm curious about his mental makeup (opposite Mitchell?) and for a guy his size pulling down as few rebounds as he is is almost a travesty. I like Davis, though.

Mirotic FTW.