What's new

""No Gay Marriage" -- God" -- Religious nutjobs

Look, I get that Methusalh living to 900+ years sounds crazy...it does. But at the end of the day, I believe that my Savior was born of a virgin, died and rose again to save all of our sins. I know that it's crazy, but if it wasn't crazy, then it wouldn't be so difficult to have faith and believe.

And while there are several figures of speech in the Bible (parables, parts of Revelation, etc etc) for the most part, it is a literal text that is meant to be taken literal.
Wow.

Look, I get that Methusalh living to 900+ years sounds crazy...it does. But at the end of the day, I believe that my Savior was born of a virgin, died and rose again to save all of our sins. I know that it's crazy, but if it wasn't crazy, then it wouldn't be so difficult to have faith and believe.

And while there are several figures of speech in the Bible (parables, parts of Revelation, etc etc) for the most part, it is a literal text that is meant to be taken literal.

Yes!

Would also add that The Bible is not just a book of stories or rules to be followed, it is the living, breathing word of God and has immense power to change anyone's life!

£¥£

I think some of it can and some of it can't. The virgin Mary and all that is literal in my opinion.

Yes!

Would also add that The Bible is not just a book of stories or rules to be followed, it is the living, breathing word of God and has immense power to change anyone's life!

£¥£

tl;dr tbh

Do you reserve the word nutjob for all people who believe something you don't.

I'm not saying what the guy said is true, but then again I'm not saying it's not.

#nonreligiousnutjobsruiningtheworldz

This boils down to one concept, and it's not my view of God. It boils down to terrorism. I hate to resort to that, but the only thing this guy's going to accomplish is scaring people into not being themselves, or being intolerant of those that are different. I don't believe I'm the biggot or hate monger here, just the guy that's calling one out.

This boils down to one concept, and it's not my view of God. It boils down to terrorism. I hate to resort to that, but the only thing this guy's going to accomplish is scaring people into not being themselves, or being intolerant of those that are different. I don't believe I'm the biggot or hate monger here, just the guy that's calling one out.

Wouldn't calling somebody that shares that viewpoint a "religious nutjob" or "religious idiot" be intolerant as well?

Why is it so hard for you to just say that you disagree with them? There's no need to say that people that don't agree with you are idiots or they're crazy. Just say you disagree and move on...you're being just as intolerant IMO.

So, being hard to believe is a virtue or sign of truth?

The Bible reads like a collection of myths and fairy tales, and has real sociological value in that regard. However, I don't see any reason to assign one group of fairy tales as being more important than another.

Unfortunately, there is no completely reliable process for separating out the figures of speech and metaphors from the literal parts. There are obvious cases and murky cases.

Pat Robertson, huge mega church telvangelist kind of guy, blamed that earthquake in hait a few years ago on their lifestlye. Said it was Gods wrath or judgement or something. I bet my last dollar that 80% of Haiti is more religious deep in their soul then Pat Robertson.

Scumbags. The view they have of God is not one that I have or will ever have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nraknWoes

You can lump Bible stories in with fairy tales in your attempt to degrade someone's belief in the Bible if you want, that's your schtick.

The Paul Revere of "isms" and fairy tails has spoken.

/thread

I want to hear a bible story. Tell me the one about the guy who hands his virgin daughters over to the horny mob of sodomites.

or the one where god kills the first born son of all the Egyptians.

Really any of the scary ones will do. I like a good horror story.

I can't remember whether I've shared this story or not, but at one point I was talking to a guy who was with Campus Crusade for Christ. He believed the Bible was literally true in every respect. So I asked him how Methuselah could have lived to be 969 years old, as the Bible says. He immediately gave this explanation. When God created the world, he separated the waters above from the waters below (Genesis), meaning that the sky was actually a dome of water. When the flood of Noah came, that dome broke, and all the water above fell onto the earth, flooding the entire planet. And now that there's no dome of water protecting us, we can no longer live to be 1,000 years old, because the ultra-violet rays are killing us.

I wish I was making that one up, but I'm not. The dude really believed it. These folks just live in their own little happy place. There's just no reasoning with them.

Well, that could explain telomere degredation. ;)

Wouldn't calling somebody that shares that viewpoint a "religious nutjob" or "religious idiot" be intolerant as well?

Why is it so hard for you to just say that you disagree with them? There's no need to say that people that don't agree with you are idiots or they're crazy. Just say you disagree and move on...you're being just as intolerant IMO.

Only if intolerance of intolerance is intolerable

Ok, I owe you a better explanation than that. I'm not a politician, nor do I ever want to claim an office, and so it's this: It's no fun to just say I disagree. Or point out the obvious in a calm, rational manner.

That just happened.

ufQuN.gif