What's new

Game Thread Nov 08, 2023 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Pacers

Added to Calendar: 11-08-23

It's legitimate. THt sets up Lauri better than anyone on the team. With Keyonte starting we got a more passive backcourt that left JC dominante the shots taken.

1. I stated as well THT is great creating pick and pop threes for Lauri. THT has a big *** and good timing on those and it helps!

BUT

2. We also had less bigs in the starting five. This lead to fewer good screens for Lauri to take advantage in the perimeter
3. JC had it going and it made sense to let him cook a bit. The combination of both Walker and THT will not work in the offense bc it hurts the spacing so much. If I have to choose I will start walker nine times out of ten from those two. Numbers of reasons for it and not the least is the future is in ouir rookie guard and also might be in Walker. We just have to develop them as much we can and forget do we win or lose.

It took the Pacers an embarrassing amount of time to realize that we have no answer whatsoever when they feed Turner inside.
Ya we look really small now that Kessler is out. Which is weird cause collins, KO, and Lauri are all quite tall.......... with alligator arms who play like they are 5 inches smaller. We will miss having any kind of rim protection whatsoever. Pacers aren't even much of an inside big man threat either. Some other teams will feast inside.

No team is going to trade a player to Danny boy unless he gives them a fortune, looks like he tried to deal on a couple players Herro n Holiday but no go so then we tank for a top pick if teams dont want to deal with Danny fairly anymore

If my memory serves me right, Don was like 30 usg and 45% TS in his first 10-15 games. But it didn’t matter, because his talent was obvious. I’m not saying Keyonte is Don, but he’s got to be more than a 15% usg guy on the court. I want him to have the Hawkins green light. Who cares if he goes 4-21 he’s capable of going 15-21.

Was on the Pacers feed when Ochai blocked the transition layup. Indiana announcer was cackling about how it’s an obvious “hack” and he put him in the stands… said it was ridiculous to challenge… then of course got real quiet when it was changed.

Lol that was hilarious. He got quiet then mumbled something about body contact.

If my memory serves me right, Don was like 30 usg and 45% TS in his first 10-15 games. But it didn’t matter, because his talent was obvious. I’m not saying Keyonte is Don, but he’s got to be more than a 15% usg guy on the court. I want him to have the Hawkins green light. Who cares if he goes 4-21 he’s capable of going 15-21.
It will come… I’m actually impressed with his discipline. It’s not like Dante where he really couldn’t create anything… he’s choosing to play well within himself. I’m fine coaxing the shooting out of him…especially with our guards.

I think that starting lineup has some potential and played pretty well overall. One of our problems with not starting THT or Sexton is that they end up playing together in the second unit.

It will come… I’m actually impressed with his discipline. It’s not like Dante where he really couldn’t create anything… he’s choosing to play well within himself. I’m fine coaxing the shooting out of him…especially with our guards.

It’s fine but…..he’s not Dante but the defense was treating him like Dante. He should have had like 5+ more attempts from 3. There were 1-2 shots around the paint lot that he missed bc he wasn’t thinking about shooting. He will get there, but the sooner the better.

THt got one of the highest +/-

One of the few bright spots once again
He came off the bench and had the second most turnovers and for some reason tried a backwards straight on layup that didn’t come close. Imagine how many turnovers and impossible shots he would’ve had had he started?
Clarkson - best I’ve seen him this season
He’s the entire reason the jazz lost control of the game in the second quarter. At the end of the game I went to check his turnover numbers and was dumbfounded he only had 6. It felt like he had 9-10 in that game felt like he had 6 alone in the second quarter. He scored a lot but my got he ****ed over his team time after time. If you shoot 26 times you better score 38-46 pts.
THT the only positive on the team. Lone bright spot
He played 19 minutes and had the second most turnovers. Imagine if he got his 28-30 minutes.
Will we ever win a game again?
Man, I hope not.
Mostly in the 4th when the game broke down. Jazz played great D in the first half. Haliburton figures it out and broke them down in the 2nd half and THT didn't play enough, making the Jazz defense too easy to exploit.
Lmfao. What a joke you are. We gave up the second fewest points in the 4th. We gave up more in second and third quarter.

He’s the entire reason the jazz lost control of the game in the second quarter. At the end of the game I went to check his turnover numbers and was dumbfounded he only had 6. It felt like he had 9-10 in that game felt like he had 6 alone in the second quarter. He scored a lot but my got he ****ed over his team time after time. If you shoot 26 times you better score 38-46 pts.

Well Rome wasn’t built in a day ya know! Still an improvement over the hot trash he’s been serving. (I’m convinced that the guy cruised around in his GF’s tour van all offseason smoking dope and taking ecstasy).

I saw that 6TOs, but at least he remembered how to create for himself again. And somebody had to shoot as George refused to and Laurie had to patrol the paint tonight.

Just wathc replay as too busy today. You can't win in NBA without a minimum of defense. As long as we will play this level in defense, we can compete for bottom spot.

Do not understand why Yurt did not play. Seems strange to me . I'm probably the only one here but i'm always disapointed with Ochai. Looks like a great potential guy who never really make it for me.

Takes:

- Will Hardy's gimmick **** is infuriating. Kessler goes out, so he flat out refuses to play our best remaining rim protector / post defender AND makes Lauri, an honest-to-God 7 footer and only the most important scorer on this team by far, use up all his energy by trying to cover the point of attack (which is something he obviously can't do against a powerful offensive team like the Pacers). Meanwhile, the low post behind Lauri is "defended" by guys like THT and Fontecchio. What a clown show.

- Speaking of Fontecchio – another guy who wants to shoot every time he touches the ball and can't stop anyone – the decision to play him instead of the human brick wall Yurt7 in this game is absolutely bizarre. Nether of them may have a future on this team (or in the NBA for that matter) but I refuse to believe Yurt would have allowed Turner to go crazy like that.

- Collins is 6'5''. Max.

- Clarkson with the 26 shots and 6 official turnovers (plus a ton he caused by throwing guys hand grenades, as usual). Sure he scored a lot. Give a rotation NBA player 26 shots and they're likely to do that. Anyway, I give up. It's the full JC experience. Not sure there's much more to say at this point.

- Key once again showed why he's BY FAR the best natural point guard on this team. He's not a "pure" PG by any means, but he recognizes when players are moving toward the basket and is willing & able to get them the ball in stride. Incredibly, none of the vet guards we have can do this with any consistency. Keyonte's biggest rookie flaw is telegraphing his cross court passes, but that's something playing in the NBA will cure pretty quickly I think. Guys are simply much longer and quicker than what he's seen before.

- Someone needs to tell Lauri this isn't the NBA Finals. The way he keeps sacrificing his body in early season games like this – on a tank-level team no less – is part commendable, part insane. Several times a hard stint on defense up top left him so exhausted that my guy looked like he was about to drop dead lumbering up court. I don't think that's really what we want.

- I've revised my earlier estimate. Collins is probably really 6'4''. Dude must have the most inflated official height in the League. Anyway, he was pretty good on offense again (and is still a rebounding beast) but his defense has been a huge disappointment, even knowing he was never a stopper. Collins can't do anything about his lack of size and length, but his effort on D leaves a lot to be desired. He's just a weak presence under the rim, avoiding contact and gifting guys layups. I don't really understand where he should be defending. His footspeed is OK for a 6'10' guy (which he is not) but meh for a SF size dude (which he is).

- Ochai was given an opportunity to redeem himself and failed utterly. So disappointing. I don't think it's out of the question that he's already marked as "expendable" in Danny's Excel sheet.

Last edited:
We need more of this Keyonte George fellow.

Also Hardy needs to do something about Clarkson. He was such a black hole and ended up taking more shots than Key and Lauri combined. He was "feeling it" but he needs to realize he is not the future, not even a very efficient player and he absolutely must stop taking over games.

Spend that energy on defense instead.

I bet once the tracking data is in we will see well over 50% of Clarksons shots being early to mid clock. Once he got to touch the ball, zoom said the dribble penetration.