What's new

Game Thread Nov 30, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Wolves

Added to Calendar: 11-30-23

Love the 36 minutes from ochai. 5-10, 3-6, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 turnover. Thats kind of the stats I expect from him and want from him on a nightly basis if he gets minutes.

The quality of screen that Gobert sets vs what our bigs set is remarkable. Best moving screen setter of all time
Yep. Man he was good last night. Prime gobert is just a beast. His stats dont jump off the page but he is one of those guys you have to really watch to understand his effectiveness. He was dominant last night.

Wolves are a very good team. NAW is an excellent player for them, and Conley was 1000% who they needed.

Man we really saved that franchise.
Yep. That trade was super lame. Lakers pick better be a good one (but probably wont be)

the difference between Kessler and Rudy is one shoots for blocks while the other protects the paint like he owns this piece of basketball court
Also, one is in a slump right now on a **** team and the other is playing at the top of his game with a great team.

Last year rudy struggled and Kessler played fantastic. This year rudy is balling out and kessler is struggling. Last year i think rudy was having health issues. This season we know kessler has been having health issues.

can key shoot better than this?
His shooting efficiently through the season and in college do beg the question. I think so and hope so.

Sure, neither are bad effort players. They just don't have talent like Towns/Gobert have
To be fair to kessler, in his rookie year he put up better numbers than gobert did in his second year. kessler is very young. Gobert is a seasoned vet. That does matter.

That’s why I asked to be reminded what we got cuz right now Minny looks like a contender while we have two sort of good players an a bunch of late first rounders. Given our last draft, I don’t have high expectations that those first rounders coming up will be anything or even play until the 2030s
Those first rounders might be great ones. Minny is a veteran team and the picks are years out. Gobert, conley and kat wont be great forever and Ant might want out when those dudes decline and they dont have any draft picks or cap space to make any moves.

To be fair to kessler, in his rookie year he put up better numbers than gobert did in his second year. kessler is very young. Gobert is a seasoned vet. That does matter.
Kessler is very good. He has a lot of talent for sure. His instincts for blocking shots are as good as anyone in the NBA, but he doesnt have the elite length of Gobert or the elite vertical of other rim runners.

Like how many times has Walker put someone on a poster in his career? I like that he has better touch than your average rim runner, but at some point if you're 7'1 with a 7'6 wingspan and young, you should be able to power some dunks through people instead of trying to finesse everything.

I get that Walker is on a suboptimal team for his skillset, but the Jazz arent that bad at spacing. Does Walker really need to be on a top 5 3pt shooting team to be an above average finisher?

And here is the biggest difference between Walker/Gobert:

Gobert's career FTR is .718. Even to start his career he had a FTR of .639 in his first season of major minutes.

Walker Kessler's rookie year he had a .384 FTR. That is pathetic for a rim running big. This year it's an abysmal .218

The level of charmin softness you have to have as a rim runner and have that low of FTR means you are avoiding contact like the plague.

Yep. Man he was good last night. Prime gobert is just a beast. His stats dont jump off the page but he is one of those guys you have to really watch to understand his effectiveness. He was dominant last night.

Rudy been flexin, literally.

I think it’s pretty clear what was “wanted” had the franchise gone the other direction and kept Rudy and Don. That team was not a sixth seed forever team. What was needed was better roster building decisions around Don and Rudy. It’s very difficult to trade for a Lauri Markannen or draft a Bane/McDaniels/Jones with limited resources. I get that. But there were moves to be made on the margin. Part of the problem is that the FO burned so many years on the same team that had clear and obvious flaws and refused to address them.

It’s very difficult to also get players like Don and Rudy on the same team at the same time. Maybe this path still seems easier, but I think “should” is a strong word. I think it’s difficult to get back to the position we were in.

I’m not even necessarily saying the FO made the wrong move, but it’s ain’t easy even after nailing (or lucking out) with Lauri.
Moves had to be made on the tiny margins. Like george niang level dudes. No cap space and not draft picks. Don and rudy hating each other. Don with one foot out the door. Conley aging. That team was pretty cooked.

Kessler is very good. He has a lot of talent for sure. His instincts for blocking shots are as good as anyone in the NBA, but he doesnt have the elite length of Gobert or the elite vertical of other rim runners.

Like how many times has Walker put someone on a poster in his career? I like that he has better touch than your average rim runner, but at some point if you're 7'1 with a 7'6 wingspan and young, you should be able to power some dunks through people instead of trying to finesse everything.

I get that Walker is on a suboptimal team for his skillset, but the Jazz arent that bad at spacing. Does Walker really need to be on a top 5 3pt shooting team to be an above average finisher?

Gobert's career FTR is .718. Even to start his career he had a FTR of .639 in his first season of major minutes.

Walker Kessler's rookie year he had a .384 FTR. That is pathetic for a rim running big. This year it's an abysmal .218

The level of charmin softness you have to have as a rim runner and have that low of FTR means you are avoiding contact like the plague.

His vageen hang like sleeve of wizard?

Great post Cy

What is this stat exactly? Is anyone really trying to say Walker is a better rim protector than Rudy? Does rim protecting include scaring off people from getting to the rim? It should. Dudes don't even challenge Rudy out of fear.

I’m not sure why you keep harping on it but it means Walker has the lowest FG% allowed at the rim this year out of any player in the league. It obviously doesn’t include scaring people out of the paint because they didn’t attempt a shot. Hope this helps.