What's new

Ochai Agbaji, Can Someone Shed Some Light?

I feel like the expectation for Ochai should be a little more explosive Royce O'neale. I think that is a pretty reasonable expectations and if he can turn into that type of guy then he can be a core piece for us long term.

Agbaji looked fine out there, but he played 19 minute and only had a single rebound w/o any assist, blocks, or steals.

He played more minutes than NAW tho, so maybe he has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Feel bad for NAW after being hyped up and praised in camp for being a standout, he just seems to not have the mental fortitude to translate that kind of play to NBA games for w/e reason.

I feel like the expectation for Ochai should be a little more explosive Royce O'neale. I think that is a pretty reasonable expectations and if he can turn into that type of guy then he can be a core piece for us long term.
He looks less explosive than Royce, but a bit bigger.

I frankly have to question the Jazz's scouting recently. Apparently the Jazz brass loved Agbaji coming out of the draft. But when I watched as much of him as I could after the trade, I was worried about his relatively laid-back approach both offensively and defensively as well as his lack of ball handling. Clearly there's some potential, but when you're rebounding at basically the same rate as the 6" (5-10?) Remy Martin, and you're not really all that much of a self-creator as a 4-year player, the NBA is going to be a steep hill to climb.

I know the draft always has its hits and misses, but I don't know what the Jazz were thinking they saw in Ochai to have him as highly regarded as they're reported to have done. Hope he ends up proving me wrong.

Did they say they were high on him? I didn’t follow much draft talk last year.

I know the NBA draft nerds did not like Ochai, and I had to agree with them. Not a terrible prospect and he has clear, useful, and realistic archetype. But he looked much more like a late first/early second type prospect than a late lottery type of player.

Did they say they were high on him? I didn’t follow much draft talk last year.

I know the NBA draft nerds did not like Ochai, and I had to agree with them. Not a terrible prospect and he has clear, useful, and realistic archetype. But he looked much more like a late first/early second type prospect than a late lottery type of player.
The reporting from Tony Jones since the trade has consistently been that the Jazz loved him as a prospect and that they were thrilled to land him in the trade.

There was some reporting around draft time that the Jazz had a target if they somehow were able to trade into the (middle third, perhaps, of the) draft. I don't think TJ came out and said it, but the hints make it sound like there's a good chance it was Agbaji. (Of course, he may have made more sense on a Rudy/Donovan team than he does with the current Jazz context.)

I was thinking about Bane after last night's game. It's interesting to compare him with Agbaji coming out of college. Both were 4 year college players who measured at 6'5", 215 at the combine. They're almost the same size although Agbaji has the bigger wingspan. Bane was drafted by the Celtics who immediately traded him to Memphis for a future pick which was obviously a huge mistake.

Bane as a senior averaged 16.6 points and 6.3 rebounds, shooting 44.2% on 3's. He obviously had a good outside shot and an NBA body similar again to Agbaji. Agbaji as a senior averaged 18.8 points and 5.1 rebounds while shooting 40.7% on 3's.

I'm not saying Ochai will be another Bane but can certainly understand why Ainge had interest in Agbaji and expect him to get more minutes moving forward.

I was thinking about Bane after last night's game. It's interesting to compare him with Agbaji coming out of college. Both were 4 year college players who measured at 6'5", 215 at the combine. They're almost the same size although Agbaji has the bigger wingspan. Bane was drafted by the Celtics who immediately traded him to Memphis for a future pick which was obviously a huge mistake.

Bane as a senior averaged 16.6 points and 6.3 rebounds, shooting 44.2% on 3's. He obviously had a good outside shot and an NBA body similar again to Agbaji. Agbaji as a senior averaged 18.8 points and 5.1 rebounds while shooting 40.7% on 3's.

I'm not saying Ochai will be another Bane but can certainly understand why Ainge had interest in Agbaji and expect him to get more minutes moving forward.
Bane was an elite shooter. Agbaji was just a good shooter. Not very comparable.

Bane was an elite shooter. Agbaji was just a good shooter. Not very comparable.
Bane was no more elite, than Ochai wasn't. Both are/were exceptional outside shooters though, and the comp in their last year of college. with heavy usage is fair, in fact Ochai is far more efficient and less of a chucker. Which is a great sign. One is a much more proven ball handler and shiftier as a result, so Bane is more versatile option in any line up. However, Agbaji is also a freak with explosive leaping and the better defender long term and the better off ball player bar none.

Bane was no more elite, than Ochai wasn't. Both are/were exceptional outside shooters though, and the comp in their last year of college. with heavy usage is fair, in fact Ochai is far more efficient and less of a chucker. Which is a great sign. One is a much more proven ball handler and shiftier as a result, so Bane is more versatile option in any line up. However, Agbaji is also a freak with explosive leaping and the better defender long term and the better off ball player bar none.
Yeah, you are a moron. Bane shot 46% from his Sophomore year. The dude is a natural shooter. He can shoot any shot. Ochai has always been primarily a spot up shooter. '

THere's a difference between the shooting Bane was able to do and what Ochai was able to do. A huge difference.

I think Agbaji has looked pretty good in limited minutes in his rookie season. Think at worst, he’s a 3&D rotational player.

Yeah, you are a moron. Bane shot 46% from his Sophomore year. The dude is a natural shooter. He can shoot any shot. Ochai has always been primarily a spot up shooter. '

THere's a difference between the shooting Bane was able to do and what Ochai was able to do. A huge difference.
I am huh? I guess that makes me in the same category as the moron who suggested the fanbase should not worry,because the Jazz are going to be terrible right? You have been wrong about pretty much everything, what some dudes shooting percentage was as a sophmore is irrelevant to what it was as a senior when comparing to seniors trying to get drafted.
One of them was picked 14th overall the other one 30th those scouts must have all been morons lol

I am huh? I guess that makes me in the same category as the moron who suggested the fanbase should not worry,because the Jazz are going to be terrible right? You have been wrong about pretty much everything, what some dudes shooting percentage was as a sophmore is irrelevant to what it was as a senior when comparing to seniors trying to get drafted.
One of them was picked 14th overall the other one 30th those scouts must have all been morons lol
Yes, the scouts were also morons and everyone got hung up on his wingspan.

And yeah, I've been wrong.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how athletic Ochai has looked.

I was worried he could be like Grayson Allen who tested very athletic (and could do cool dunks in warm ups) but you never saw it on the court.

Given his physical profile, the worst case scenario for him should be a rich man's Royce O'Neal, but it all depends on his attitude and work ethic. IMO that would be a great piece for any team and a good outcome for his place in the draft.

Very nice pair of games now for Ochai. 39 minutes total, 11/12 from the field including 7/8 from three. Just two fouls this last game after picking up 4 in 18 minutes last time, played big minutes down the stretch too. Looks like we have two pretty solid rookies.