What's new

Ochai Agbaji, Can Someone Shed Some Light?

Also Ochai is the type of player who plays support without dictating the scheme.

If you leave him open, he will punish you. Brings effort in D. But you can run whatever type of offense and defense and he can be a net positive on both ends.

Really like his first meaningful minutes thus far.

I love the way Ochai move and make himself avalaible to get the ball. Mike seems to find him quite easily. Hope he got more min and keep improving but impressive 2 games from him.

We are seeing in these last couple games why the gleague is such an awful spot for actually evaluating and developing players. It is a completely different brand of basketball. Obviously there is no way Ochai comes even close to these shooting percentages but I definitely believe he can be a solid 3 and d role player.

We are seeing in these last couple games why the gleague is such an awful spot for actually evaluating and developing players. It is a completely different brand of basketball. Obviously there is no way Ochai comes even close to these shooting percentages but I definitely believe he can be a solid 3 and d role player.
Good lord. Really going to draw all those conclusions because Ochai is hitting some 3s in the last two games? Maybe the GLeague experience is what led him to these good performances

Of course Ochai can hit 3s and possibly play OK defense, but he also has to learn to grab some rebounds and make himself more useful in other facets of the game other than the most surface level parts of being 3&D

Nice to see him do his thing for once, never a doubt he could. He is a keeper, but never playing until right before the deadline suggests this might be his trade value building game

Nice to see him do his thing for once, never a doubt he could. He is a keeper, but never playing until right before the deadline suggests this might be his trade value building game
Actually I think it more likely signals they are potentially going to trade one of their current rotation players such as Beasley by the deadline.

It makes sense to give NBA minutes to Agbaji at this point so he will be ready to be a regular rotation contributor after the deadline.

Good lord. Really going to draw all those conclusions because Ochai is hitting some 3s in the last two games? Maybe the GLeague experience is what led him to these good performances
The gleague sucks for anything besides cardio. Get over it.

That isn't what it is suggesting at all. Most likely it is Ainge have a tough conversation with Hardy telling him we wanted this kid for a reason so play the damn kid.

Of course Ochai can hit 3s and possibly play OK defense, but he also has to learn to grab some rebounds and make himself more useful in other facets of the game other than the most surface level parts of being 3&D

You should have seen him crash the glass in his first game of meaningful minutes (2 games ago). It was very impressive.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

But we sent a guy to the GLeague and he came back to ready to contribute...
The GLeague has a lot more talent than days of yore. Last night in the Stars Iowa game Iowa had CJ Elleby a 2020 2nd round pick of the Blazers, PJ Dozier a 6'6"PG that averaged 7 ppg for the Nuggs a couple of years ago and is coming off knee surgery and Mudiay. These three are probably better than last season's Jazz reserves.

You try so hard to be dumb.

Would be wild if we had some stats from before his g league stint and after.
So I actually think both sides of the argument are kind of correct. For a 3 and D player... the G League sucks... long term. If he isn't putting up huge stats he looks like a bust, but that isn't the player he needs to be... at least to start.

I think he learned the sets, struggled a bit, likely wasn't setup by his teammates... but learning the sets and being more confident when he came back is important. If you generally know where to be then you can focus on basketball. Not that he is running a system... he primarily hangs out in the corners and cuts here and there.

I think his handling has been just fine. I simply did not want him to stay in the G League all year. I think we managed it really well. I just didn't think Hardy was going to let him get some PT with the Varsity squad... and that would have been a mistake. Long term I think a guy like Ochai might develop bad habits down there... trying to be Morris Almond instead of Danny Green.

Ochai has shown that he can play, but the game is still a little quick for him. Glad coach gave him the game ball after his first game that should continue to help him build confidence. I loved the fact that Hardy eventually put him on Lavine late in the forth. The process is different for every player and Ochai is coming along great work by the coaching staff.

That isn't what it is suggesting at all. Most likely it is Ainge have a tough conversation with Hardy telling him we wanted this kid for a reason so play the damn kid.
it could mean nothing as well but it could very well mean he being shopped it happens all the time when teams hold out players and showcase them right before the deadline.
But I do agree with some suggesting it could just be they are testing him to see just how much they are willing to part with others like Beasley. I dont think Ainge had a talk with Hardy to play him, if anything Ainge would not want him playing outside of showcasing him if he is trying to shop anyone else.

it could mean nothing as well but it could very well mean he being shopped it happens all the time when teams hold out players and showcase them right before the deadline.
But I do agree with some suggesting it could just be they are testing him to see just how much they are willing to part with others like Beasley. I dont think Ainge had a talk with Hardy to play him, if anything Ainge would not want him playing outside of showcasing him if he is trying to shop anyone else.
There is no logical reason to think we are shopping him. He is a rookie wing that has the potential to be a solid 3 and d player. That is what every team in the league is looking for including us.

How do you know the Jazz wanted Ochai that badly? He was a piece we could get, doesnt mean we loved the piece.

DA isnt telling Hardy who to play. Ochai got minutes cuz there are injuries and Hardy has committed to having a rotating door of rotation minutes for a handful of players to keep everyone engaged.