What's new

Game Thread Oct 08, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-08-23

They obviously want Collins to expand out of his Atlanta role and the dude has never really put the ball on the ground much. He didnt look great doing it.

However preseason is a good time to test and practice stuff like that, and we dont even know yet if Hardy wants him to do that when the games count.

Collectively as a team, if you can't pass then you must shoot. If you can't shoot then dominate rebounding. And if you can't do any of that then outrun everyone.

This team is going not to pass well, and not shoot well. It's only hope is to rebound and run and hope that the other areas will catch up. We may have a disappointing year in terms of wins - close to a bottom feeder.
The team will pass and shoot fine.

Your observations certainly have merit but don’t take into account the extenuating circumstances and let’s not forget the fact that our rag tag team actually managed to win the game. An Hawaiian vacation to train and start the Season was the last thing this green and discombobulated team needed - it certainly wasn’t Hardy’s idea. PR opportunity and certainly not the end of the world but as far as actually getting anything accomplished fawgetaboutit! Both teams looked ragged and disorganized and for good reason.

Collins looked a bit tentative but it’s not like he **** the bed out there - he looked good on a spot up three which is a contention point. The jury’s out at this point on his fit with Kessler, keeping my fingers crossed.

As you say though, it’s the guard corps that’s the biggest concern. Just thinking last night how seamless Brogdon would fit with this team as the starting QB. I don’t think it would take much besides a little draft capital. I floated the Sexton Fontechio, and lowest 25 first idea and I believe that would be enough to get the job done. If not, THT, Olynyk + prolly gets it done. Either way it’s an absolute no-brainer if we hope to compete this year. Opportunities like this don’t come along that often and this early. Wake up call, c’mon Trader Danny it’s that time; time to buy.
Why would THT and Olynyk get it done? Pdx is looking for picks.

One practice game doesn't tell much. My starter guards were Dunn and Clarkson before this game, and that hasn't changed. Dunn seems a country mile ahead of the others as a PG for our team, and I'm hoping that Clarkson would facilitate better like he did at the beginning of last season.

Dunn was clearly the best. I was surprised to see he is only 29. I think at that age he is probably good as a stop gap starter for a couple years. And hopefully someone else steps up in the meantime.

Walker regressed, soph wall hit
Collin showing his true colors, grey and darker grey
Kelly in the downhill road
Simone showing why his future is in Piazza Navona running a bar
John as irrelevant as the last 2 seasons
THT I like him he's kind of fun, I still want him on my team
Jordan was out there for a while I've been told
Luca can do something but he's as robotic as they come
Kris the best against third liners
Keynote looked good at anagrams if you believe beat writers
Taylor I don't know, looked slow as hell but he's looong
We did draft another guy, right?
Will getting angry about 5 minutes into first preseason game in friggin' zen Hawai, gosh, zero aplomb, not good, I miss Q and Jerry cold blooded style :rolleyes:
Top 3 pick coming baby!
No way Lauri repeat last season performance, besides I fear he will be probably called to arms...
World's going crazy again.

Something I haven't seen mentioned a lot in this thread is it looks like we will playing Agbaji a bit at the 3 and Lauri at the 4 in order to get more of our guards in the rotation. Right now the regular rotation looks like:

Walker, Collins, Lauri, KO, Agbaji, Sexton, THT, Clarkson, George.

Dunn, Hendricks, Yurtseven, and Fontecchio look like they are just outside the rotation and could get minutes depending on the matchup/injuries.

I didn't think he had much extra
He missed two bunnies he should haveade, but he didn't do anything wild out there.

I thought he played under control for the most part. The issue was just incorporating Collins and the Clips defense. It was a good early test.

Sextons defense is the biggest issue. Then again, the Clippers are a great team at exploiting his defensive weakness,so it might not be as bad against most teams
One layup attempt was the classic THT special where it has next to zero chance of working. He missed one bunny for sure, but he ruined his hot start by shooting a few early threes he shouldn't (one banked in). so a hot start, a banked in three, and it netted out to 13 pts on 13 shots. It was certainly less extra than normal but still he is just so incredibly front and center every time he is on the court. He just doesn't blend in very well.

He was one of the better players out there tonight though. The pairing with THT/Sexton playing with Kessler and Collins was just not gonna work. There was no space out there.

Keyonte was good once he settled in during the second half. The hit ahead pass to Dunn was great. I think Dunn and Key had great chemistry overall. Keyonte tried to force things a bit in the first and it wasn't great, but second half found it. The two parts of his game I found most encouraging were his passes seemed to be on time and showed good court vision... and his defense wasn't atrocious. Got cooked on a backdoor play to start his time on the court but other than that he was fine.

I think JC is on preseason chill mode.

John Collins was a big part of the sloppy start. Tough matchup for him with PG, Leonard, Mann in there reaching in and ****. This trade likely gonna drive me crazy unless he really starts balling out... I think KO might legit be a better player and is for sure a better fitting player. The you have interesting options like Hendricks and Samanic that are going to get leftover minutes.

Sexton was rough but he gets a little overly excited. Not worried much about it other than the fit is going to be rough with our roster overall.

Hendricks looks the part... long and moves well. The side step three he hit to start the game was very nice. Pretty reserved overall. Had one transition defense opportunity that I wanted him to get aggressive and he didn't.

Ochai looked good in individual defense but had a couple possessions where he was kinda sitting in no mans land without rotating to the ball or out to another player... it was weird. His shot was way off but I think that is kinda first game back adrenaline as the shots were really long. Overall he was fine.

Dunn looked great. I just think he finds his way on the court.

Less Fontechio and more Sensabaugh.

Walker regressed, soph wall hit
Collin showing his true colors, grey and darker grey
Kelly in the downhill road
Simone showing why his future is in Piazza Navona running a bar
John as irrelevant as the last 2 seasons
THT I like him he's kind of fun, I still want him on my team
Jordan was out there for a while I've been told
Luca can do something but he's as robotic as they come
Kris the best against third liners
Keynote looked good at anagrams if you believe beat writers
Taylor I don't know, looked slow as hell but he's looong
We did draft another guy, right?
Will getting angry about 5 minutes into first preseason game in friggin' zen Hawai, gosh, zero aplomb, not good, I miss Q and Jerry cold blooded style :rolleyes:
Top 3 pick coming baby!
No way Lauri repeat last season performance, besides I fear he will be probably called to arms...
World's going crazy again.
Damn, I thought I was a pessimist, but this is next level. Especially after one pre-season game. Guess we just give up on them now.
I'm personally excited to what Hardy comes up with. Kessler is going to shut the paint down, ala Rudy. Laurie will get cooking and they will find some flow. Fun season incoming imo!

Lots of "sky is falling" people who forget how in last seasons first preseason game the eventually lowly Raptors absolutely pummeled us and we looked like total garbage.

I think Taylor gonna spend like 25-40 games in the g league with Sensabaugh. It will be viewed as somewhat of a failure but will be good for him.

The John Collins conundrum gonna lead to 5,000 trade proposals by the deadline. I don't know how you maximize him, the team and increase his value with our personnel. Move him to the bench would likely allow him to do what he needs to be most effective... but would put a dent in his trade value imo. I think if you start him you need a backcourt that can shoot better than what we put out there.... need a setup man. I hope Hardy scraps that lineup he started with yesterday and gives us a different look Tuesday.

Keyonte was good once he settled in during the second half. The hit ahead pass to Dunn was great. I think Dunn and Key had great chemistry overall. Keyonte tried to force things a bit in the first and it wasn't great, but second half found it. The two parts of his game I found most encouraging were his passes seemed to be on time and showed good court vision... and his defense wasn't atrocious. Got cooked on a backdoor play to start his time on the court but other than that he was fine.

I think JC is on preseason chill mode.

John Collins was a big part of the sloppy start. Tough matchup for him with PG, Leonard, Mann in there reaching in and ****. This trade likely gonna drive me crazy unless he really starts balling out... I think KO might legit be a better player and is for sure a better fitting player. The you have interesting options like Hendricks and Samanic that are going to get leftover minutes.

Sexton was rough but he gets a little overly excited. Not worried much about it other than the fit is going to be rough with our roster overall.

Hendricks looks the part... long and moves well. The side step three he hit to start the game was very nice. Pretty reserved overall. Had one transition defense opportunity that I wanted him to get aggressive and he didn't.

Ochai looked good in individual defense but had a couple possessions where he was kinda sitting in no mans land without rotating to the ball or out to another player... it was weird. His shot was way off but I think that is kinda first game back adrenaline as the shots were really long. Overall he was fine.

Dunn looked great. I just think he finds his way on the court.

Less Fontechio and more Sensabaugh.
I agree with most of this, but I just barely got done watching the second half and Keyonte's defense was not passable, it was pretty bad. He was trying, but he was getting beat off the dribble and was giving up on plays. I really think this could limit his playing time.

Lots of "sky is falling" people who forget how in last seasons first preseason game the eventually lowly Raptors absolutely pummeled us and we looked like total garbage.
We also looked like **** in a Portland game I believe. Hardy is gonna try some stuff. I think this first 20 games or so could be kinda frustrating. There are just some roster things that I kinda thought would be an issue and yesterday we had some hints that those might be real. Everything is just the smallest of small sample sizes now... no reason to freak out.

I agree with most of this, but I just barely got done watching the second half and Keyonte's defense was not passable, it was pretty bad. He was trying, but he was getting beat off the dribble and was giving up on plays. I really think this could limit his playing time.
I may be off there. I guess it wasn't a glaring as Sexton's. I was watching most of the game on my phone with the 49ers game on the tv with my nephews.

I guess I saw him moving well a few times and seemed to be engaged and not completely out of place.

No Sensabaugh was kind of telling last night…I fully expected to see him play. I’m assuming he is still somewhat injured or we would’ve seen him.