What's new

Game Thread Oct 14, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Trail Blazers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-14-23

Hopefully we get to see a fresh legs game.

FWIW, our TS% as a team this preseason has been 51.5%. Last season it was 58.4% (14th in the league).

Interesting fact:
There were 4 teams in addition to Jazz who landed 5 or more players in the ESPN top 100 and Portland was one of those teams (Ayton 49, Grant 58, Scoot 78, Simons 85 and Williams 89).

The other 3 teams were NYK (6 players), MIL (5) and GSW (6).

Same lineup?
No info yet. I would guess its gonna be a new look since Hardy said they are in evaluation mode and they had more time to practice with different lineups.

The expected deadline to decide was early next week.. so the preseason finale vs SAC could be telling.

Anyone know if Brice is practicing? I'm hoping he's progressing.

I don't have the exact article I read from, but Hardy was asked about why he's not playing and the answer was that there's a lot of guys on this team and not that he's injured. So maybe a good sign from the health standpoint but not so great in other ways.

I don't have the exact article I read from, but Hardy was asked about why he's not playing and the answer was that there's a lot of guys on this team and not that he's injured. So maybe a good sign from the health standpoint but not so great in other ways.
Cool. Thanks for the update. Hopefully they give him some time. I'm hoping he can do what's advertised I.E. hit open shots. I expect his defense to be pretty bad.

I really think part of Simone and Luka playing as much as they have been is they are on the brink of being out of the league. I could see us cutting at least one when roster cuts happen… could also see OKC selling off one of their guys pre-cut day. Giving these guys a chance to show something before a big decision is made. I don’t think either guy is here in 12 months.

It’s also a sign that Taylor and Brice aren’t in our immediate playing time plans… or you’d be getting them up to speed. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

I really think part of Simone and Luka playing as much as they have been is they are on the brink of being out of the league. I could see us cutting at least one when roster cuts happen… could also see OKC selling off one of their guys pre-cut day. Giving these guys a chance to show something before a big decision is made. I don’t think either guy is here in 12 months.

It’s also a sign that Taylor and Brice aren’t in our immediate playing time plans… or you’d be getting them up to speed. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Has this ever been a thing, or is this just a creative way to justify not playing our rookies? I think the most simple and reasonable explanation is that Hardy meant what he said about giving free PT and in his opinion those two have not earned it more than Simone and Samanic. I don't doubt that both vets are on the brink of being out of the league, but I find it hard to believe they are getting time because of it at this stage.

Samanic has a guarantee date in 10 days. So the FO needs to make a decision on him.

TH got in before Luka the first game, so I think that’s an open competition and Luka is definitely playing for his career. But Simone is looks to be in poll position as he’s gotten in first both times while Bryce ain’t even in the picture. Maybe that changes tonight. I think decisions on these players are moreso made on how they’re doing day to day in camp versus a 5 minute showing at the end of a preseason game.