What's new

Game Thread Oct 14, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Trail Blazers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-14-23

I don't have the exact article I read from, but Hardy was asked about why he's not playing and the answer was that there's a lot of guys on this team and not that he's injured. So maybe a good sign from the health standpoint but not so great in other ways.
There are too many good players to justify playing a first rounder any preseason minutes.

Has this ever been a thing, or is this just a creative way to justify not playing our rookies? I think the most simple and reasonable explanation is that Hardy meant what he said about giving free PT and in his opinion those two have not earned it more than Simone and Samanic. I don't doubt that both vets are on the brink of being out of the league, but I find it hard to believe they are getting time because of it at this stage.
Yes… lots of guys get run in the preseason prior to have their deals picked up or getting released… the guys have participated in the program for the last year and would have relationships with Hardy (Luka dating back to SA).

You don’t think Hardy is human and thinking of giving these guys an opportunity to prove themselves?

I understand we want to see the new shiny toys… I get it… but if you have 4 years to evaluate one guy and 2 weeks to evaluate the others it’s absolutely reasonable to think if it’s close that it goes to the vets in this case.

TH got in before Luka the first game, so I think that’s an open competition and Luka is definitely playing for his career. But Simone is looks to be in poll position as he’s gotten in first both times while Bryce ain’t even in the picture. Maybe that changes tonight. I think decisions on these players are moreso made on how they’re doing day to day in camp versus a 5 minute showing at the end of a preseason game.
It’s not just us making these decisions… it’s 29 other teams. Even if Luka and Simone are earning their time more than the tools it’s not some huge indictment when both guys are young rookies (not like Ochai). Lots of teams would gift the minutes to the rookies instead of middling vets… Hardy isn’t rolling that way.

I watched Portland the other night… anything under 120 points and our offense needs a complete retool… lol. It seemed real easy to score.

Yes… lots of guys get run in the preseason prior to have their deals picked up or getting released… the guys have participated in the program for the last year and would have relationships with Hardy (Luka dating back to SA).

You don’t think Hardy is human and thinking of giving these guys an opportunity to prove themselves?

I understand we want to see the new shiny toys… I get it… but if you have 4 years to evaluate one guy and 2 weeks to evaluate the others it’s absolutely reasonable to think if it’s close that it goes to the vets in this case.

The question is if a team has ever benched their first round picks (without giving them a chance) so they can play someone else to determine if they want to cut him. Lot's of guys get cut and have minutes before they are cut. How many guys get minutes precisely because they may get cut and get those minutes over first round picks? No sure it's a thing and I can't say that is more reasonable than Hardy simply playing the players he thinks are better right now as he's said he would.