What's new

Game Thread Oct 16, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. New Zealand Breakers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-16-23

Rewatched Brice' scouting reports. Yeah, he definitely was not creating space in college. He was hitting tough as hells shots with people right in his grill. He was great at operating in limited space.

Rewatched Brice' scouting reports. Yeah, he definitely was not creating space in college. He was hitting tough as hells shots with people right in his grill. He was great at operating in limited space.
Brice will be a big headache for defenders. At 6 foot 6 and 230 pounds with good footwork, it’s hard to stop him from getting to his spots in the paint. And from there he’s lethal. And not only that, he can shoot 3s. The kid just needs more time to develop his other skills and stay healthy.

Brice will be a big headache for defenders. At 6 foot 6 and 230 pounds with good footwork, it’s hard to stop him from getting to his spots in the paint. And from there he’s lethal. And not only that, he can shoot 3s. The kid just needs more time to develop his other skills and stay healthy.
Sure, but he has to learn to do that over NBA length and actually do other things as well (defend/playmake).

Brice might be able to get a bit more explosive with some additional fat loss. Seems like he has a strong build but looks like he’s in better shape than college… his starting point was worse than Keys and he had rehab in there too… so it’s pretty great there is some improvement there at all.

He might be a guy that just kinda bullies dudes to get his shot off. I wasn’t moved by his play one way or another last night. When Key stepped on the court you can see his movements right away were explosive.

Getting one ready made rookie and two promising projects is a fine draft for where we are.

Locke brought up Morris Almond. That felt like the right comp. Looked slow and like he had no clue what to do when he didn't have the ball in his hands.
That's great. Always good when someone like Locke throws some cold water on things to damped expectation. Overall, just a really bad strategy to bring in three first rounders. Obviously we don't know what was or could have been on the table in terms of parlaying (particularly that last pick) into something in the future but, barring some large multi-player trade, our roster crunch and already having two guys coming off their rookie season was pretty predictable to know that using all three picks on three players was going to default you into have a couple guys that you can't really develop. I don't like the idea of only irrigating a portion of your yard but then buying sod for the whole property and saying "just throw that over on the dry dirt and we'll see what happens." First rounders hold a lot of (inflated) value. We can use that stuff to get pieces we need, but drafting them is like a brand new car you drive off the lot and experience massive depreciation (pre-covid). The two times I remember having three picks was when we took Quincy Lewis, Scott Padgett and then did the draft-and-stash with Kirilenko. Lewis and Padgett ended up being completely pointless. We didn't have time and weren't interested in developing those guys and then they just fizzled out of the league. The other was Humphries, Snyder and Podkolzin in 2004. We ended up trading Podkolzin to Dallas for a future pick, which we then were able to use to include in the deal that moved us up for DWill.

tl;dr actually drafting three guys in the first round is most often stupid and almost always a waste of resources.

That's great. Always good when someone like Locke throws some cold water on things to damped expectation. Overall, just a really bad strategy to bring in three first rounders. Obviously we don't know what was or could have been on the table in terms of parlaying (particularly that last pick) into something in the future but, barring some large multi-player trade, our roster crunch and already having two guys coming off their rookie season was pretty predictable to know that using all three picks on three players was going to default you into have a couple guys that you can't really develop. I don't like the idea of only irrigating a portion of your yard but then buying sod for the whole property and saying "just throw that over on the dry dirt and we'll see what happens." First rounders hold a lot of (inflated) value. We can use that stuff to get pieces we need, but drafting them is like a brand new car you drive off the lot and experience massive depreciation (pre-covid). The two times I remember having three picks was when we took Quincy Lewis, Scott Padgett and then did the draft-and-stash with Kirilenko. Lewis and Padgett ended up being completely pointless. We didn't have time and weren't interested in developing those guys and then they just fizzled out of the league. The other was Humphries, Snyder and Podkolzin in 2004. We ended up trading Podkolzin to Dallas for a future pick, which we then were able to use to include in the deal that moved us up for DWill.

tl;dr actually drafting three guys in the first round is most often stupid and almost always a waste of resources.
I mean all three guys are 19. Normally it takes a couple years to do anything with a player that young. I get your point if any of these guys were upperclassmen, but we got time and a g league. I'd rather have them there than playing another year of college. You can easily think of Hendricks as our 24 draft pick if that helps.

I mean all three guys are 19. Normally it takes a couple years to do anything with a player that young. I get your point if any of these guys were upperclassmen, but we got time and a g league. I'd rather have them there than playing another year of college. You can easily think of Hendricks as our 24 draft pick if that helps.
I view it more like buying a brand new car for your 12 year old to have when they turn 16. Cross that bridge when you get there. You want to keep the cash around? Great! I favor keeping the cash rather than buying the car, having its value depreciate to a point where you'd take a huge loss if you moved it, and now you've gotta clear out space in the garage or let it be exposed to the elements and vandals out on the curb.

I should have been more careful. What Locke said was Brice is a high usage guy like Morris Almond was in college and that it didn't translate for Almond as it doesn't for many guys that never figure out out how to be productive off ball. I'm not writing Brice off, but he certainly has adjustments to work on.

He was very good at using his body to create separation in college.
Yeah... when that's how you score in college at 6'6'' (which is generous IMO), you're gonna have real trouble in the NBA.

Most of these undersized "bully ball" dudes are destined for an overseas career.

Yeah... when that's how you score in college at 6'6'' (which is generous IMO), you're gonna have real trouble in the NBA.

Most of these undersized "bully ball" dudes are destined for an overseas career.
Just stop it. That was just one of the many ways he scored in college. He was a legit 3 level scorer in college. The kid is extremely skilled offensively.

I don’t think it’s ideal but it’s fine imo. We may have attempted to go with a guy more proven or older on one of the picks but I think the success rate of picks is really what leads this to look bad. I’m fine taking 3 swings and hoping to get 1-2 hits.

I’d have to look at history of teams taking 3 guys and where they were picked to see if there is something predictive about it. I assume if we could have gotten a solid future first for #28 we may have done that. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend breaking up the pick into a bunch of seconds… which is what seems to be most available. We also know DA gives zero effs about second rounders.

ezgif-5-997225243a.gif

Last edited:
Just stop it. That was just one of the many ways he scored in college. He was a legit 3 level scorer in college. The kid is extremely skilled offensively.
It's a legitimate concern. He is skilled offensively, but it's skill operating in tight spaces. When those tight spaces are suddenly inhabited by bigger longer better athletes, not all guys who have that skillset translate.

I don’t think it’s ideal but it’s fine imo. We may have attempted to go with a guy more proven or older on one of the picks but I think the success rate of picks is really what leads this to look bad. I’m fine taking 3 swings and hoping to get 1-2 hits.

I’d have to look at history of teams taking 3 guys and where they were picked to see if there is something predictive about it. I assume if we could have gotten a solid future first for #28 we may have done that. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend breaking up the pick into a bunch of seconds… which is what seems to be most available. We also know DA gives zero effs about second rounders.
Also we were in a weird spot where we have a bunch of rotation players already so even if we took a more established guy we’d be likely seeing DNPs. With the g league we have a tool now to prepare and also keep the value of our guys up even if they aren’t playing. Get em in the door now so hopefully we get production or can improve the asset value (likely depreciates but not completely tanks).