What's new

Game Thread Oct 16, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. New Zealand Breakers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-16-23

It's a legitimate concern. He is skilled offensively, but it's skill operating in tight spaces. When those tight spaces are suddenly inhabited by bigger longer better athletes, not all guys who have that skillset translate.
Yes but the college court is so cramped already that nba space may negate some of that. It’s a concern but I’d be more concerned about the defense. I think I have enough faith in his shot making that he can overcome some of those issues.

A player's environment really matters, especially for the can't miss guys, but I don't really feel like it was a mistake to draft 3 rookies. I don't think this was a loaded team to begin with. Keyonte has earned that time, but if he wasn't good, the Jazz figure to depending on a different rookie to fill the time or turn to very fringe players like Simone/Luka instead. There's ample opportunity to get PT, but the GLeague is probably an underutilized resource to begin with. I'd agree that there is some new car off the lot effect with drafting, but I think all our rooks are in a position to succeed.

Yes but the college court is so cramped already that nba space may negate some of that. It’s a concern but I’d be more concerned about the defense. I think I have enough faith in his shot making that he can overcome some of those issues.
Yes, at the end of the day any player type can fail, but it's pretty easy to see how Brice fails.

It's a legitimate concern. He is skilled offensively, but it's skill operating in tight spaces. When those tight spaces are suddenly inhabited by bigger longer better athletes, not all guys who have that skillset translate.

Self created offense is the hardest thing to do, I think it's fair to question how much that translates. I think he will be able to get buckets in a pinch, but realistically he's not going to be able to do what only a handful of guys can do in the first place. Having said that, his skill level might be high enough to be a really good supporting offensive player. If he can be a knockdown shooter who can put the ball on the floor a little bit he can be a pro. I think he can carve out a George Niang style career. At #28, if he makes it to his second deal it's a win.

Self created offense is the hardest thing to do, I think it's fair to question how much that translates. I think he will be able to get buckets in a pinch, but realistically he's not going to be able to do what only a handful of guys can do in the first place. Having said that, his skill level might be high enough to be a really good supporting offensive player. If he can be a knockdown shooter who can put the ball on the floor a little bit he can be a pro. I think he can carve out a George Niang style career. At #28, if he makes it to his second deal it's a win.
Agreed.

That general player type is getting very rare in the League, though. There were a lot more of them in the 90's and early 00's, back when static iso play was more common than it is today.

Everyone can "get a shot up" in the NBA if given enough seconds on the shot clock, but the league wide strive for efficiency has pretty much killed that approach. It just doesn't make much sense to give the ball to a guy like Sensabaugh and let him bump, pivot, upfake and fade his way to a tough shot while everyone else stands around. There's so many better options.

He's obviously skilled, and that's why I see him eventually starring overseas, where guys are smaller and less athletic.

It has been my observation that if you are going to reach at the end of the first round, it is best to get guys that can put the ball in the bucket. "If only his shot comes around" doesn't have a great track record for guys at that range, Rudy Gobert notwithstanding. . .

A player's environment really matters, especially for the can't miss guys, but I don't really feel like it was a mistake to draft 3 rookies. I don't think this was a loaded team to begin with. Keyonte has earned that time, but if he wasn't good, the Jazz figure to depending on a different rookie to fill the time or turn to very fringe players like Simone/Luka instead. There's ample opportunity to get PT, but the GLeague is probably an underutilized resource to begin with. I'd agree that there is some new car off the lot effect with drafting, but I think all our rooks are in a position to succeed.
I think lottery picks hold more value. We traded Exum for Clarkson after he had been ded for years. Just think of all of the scarcely played rookies that people on this board and others are clamoring for: Quenton Grimes and Moses Moody come to mind. Teams want picks AND young players in deals.

Again, this only works if you aren't drafting upperclassmen. Those guys age like milk if they don't hit right away.