What's new

Game Thread Oct 28, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 10-28-22

At first I didn't think Holly would work. But she's really talented and I think Boler has done a great job of incorporating her. He's cut back on his game call and allowed Holly to shine. And it took a bit but Holly is learning when and how to contribute without being long-winded and taking away from the action. And Thurl, I've always loved his understated style(not as much as Booner's though) but I think he has a little more trouble with Holly because he wants to be the authority. I hope they get more time together because the Jazz are on to something with the three of them.

The first video honestly sounds like blatant sexism to me, with the deliberate undermining followed by "Sweetheart". Anybody with a brain could tell what her actual point was.

The second video is also a case where I felt like the other announcers were just being condescending to her for no justifiable reason. Like, what sticks out in the first two videos to me is the rudeness of those commentators far more than anything Holly said.

The third video is a bad look, but, meh, national broadcasts have 1st priority over postgame interviews and it might have been a thing where the other interviewer made a mistake or there was a miscommunication, and she was scrambling to get ready for the broadcasted interview.

Your point about sexism with the sweetheart remark in the fist one and condescension in the second is I feel justified. That being said, It’s not like Holly’s contributions were a paragon of investigative journalism gold. I struggle to even understand her point in the first one - “these kids are going to have to open the competition” what? And then in the second she references a kicker that’s just a normal guy because he doesn’t wear a kicker’s shoe. Blather blather, I mean I know that ESPN uses independent contractors but journalism is journalism and garbage in garbage out. The guys in the booth get paid to talk, I think they prefer to have something a little more substantial to work with.

If she brought up the kicker shoes thing it's probably because a coach told her that when they talked about the player. MT is 100% right that those dudes were being condescending and sexist.

If she brought up the kicker shoes thing it's probably because a coach told her that when they talked about the player. MT is 100% right that those dudes were being condescending and sexist.
Also, the same guy in the first video literally got fired over inappropriate remarks directed towards another female colleague.

These clips aren't showing a Holly Rowe problem, they're showing a sexism problem.