What's new

Game Thread Oct 28, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 10-28-22

PC Police on patrol! Thank you officer for your service!

But Officer Gameface, I do like women broadcasters if they know what the Hell they’re talking about and they have the good sense to shut up when they’re detracting from the game, Holly Rowe has neither. Which is why, as ambitious as she is, she’ll never be more than a sideline reporter in her other efforts. Honestly, Sir I meant no disrespect and God knows that I could listen to Doris Burke all day everyday, she’s prepared, she’s competent and she can serve up the repartee. Candace Parker takes it to another stratosphere, without question one of my favorite sportscasters in any sport. Do you watch tennis sir? Because I could listen to Taylor Townsend and Cece Bellis 24/7 as well - incredible broadcasters that probably make a mere pittance compared to Holly but actually know what the Hell they’re talking about and come prepared to a gig.

I’ll never forget Holly Rowe showing up late for her first stint (in Houston as I recall) a full two quarters late leaving poor Boler to fend for himself. Probably why they go with three now when Holly is scheduled. Anybody else and your picking up walking papers - where’d she go to school again?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=il35MoMrUxM

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yc82WTpcJ8

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KaLYez9WFFo

She is so mediocre at her job. The only reason she is around is that the Jazz wanted to hire a bigger name and unfortunately she was available. Of course the only reason she was available is that other places realized she was mediocre.

I like Holly.

Of all three, she has by far the fewest facepalm-worthy comments. Thurl is a huge homer to the point where I find it grating.

Boler is Boler.
I just think it’s an awful broadcast team. I just listen to teams like the Brooklyn broadcast and they have three amazing commentators… we have zero people in the stratosphere of any of the members of that crew. I just think there is zero chemistry and the basketball knowledge is awfully low. If you aren’t super experts that’s fine… be entertaining and funny… they are just cringy and dull.

I just think it’s an awful broadcast team. I just listen to teams like the Brooklyn broadcast and they have three amazing commentators… we have zero people in the stratosphere of any of the members of that crew. I just think there is zero chemistry and the basketball knowledge is awfully low. If you aren’t super experts that’s fine… be entertaining and funny… they are just cringy and dull.
Yeah well Ian Eagle is next level. We’re OK for small market but Rowe and her rambling personal interest style take us down a peg IMO.

Was disappointed in Dok's minutes.

He's available but Hardy has chosen not to play him. I'm guessing his conditioning isn't great after being out so long.
Thats fine, so dont play him in long stints

That's dumb. He's big. Just stand inside, it's better than playing a freaking sf at center.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Ya especially against jokic. I didn't see a lot of this game but the little I saw our bigs were getting abused by joker

Just an FYI

Complaining about women's voices being annoying when they interrupt your sportball experience is a thing that is going out of style really fast.

Might want to figure out where you want to be on this one.
A big part of a tv announcers talent are their voices. Boler has a great voice, but misses a bunch of stuff. If a person thinks women shouldn't be announcers in sports, then I agree with your statement.

Doris Burke, Cheryl Miller, Beth Mowins and Lisa Salters come to mind of basketball announcers with good broadcasting voices.

However, if because she is a woman, she is above reproach so no one can say they don't like Holly's broadcasting voice, and think she is awkward in the broadcast, etc. that is some b.s.

I wasn't a big fan of the pre-Holly broadcast team either, but Boler, Matt and Kristen were much more enjoyable than what we have now.

Similarly I can stand Mark Jackson or Joe Buck, both speak monotone with no emotion.

Last edited:
I knew the Jazz were due to get their *** kicked. Oh well, at least they still played hard. On to the next game.

A big part of a tv announcers talent are their voices. Boler has a great voice, but misses a bunch of stuff. If a person thinks women shouldn't be announcers in sports, then I agree with your statement.

Doris Burke, Cheryl Miller, Beth Mowins and Lisa Salters come to mind of basketball announcers with good broadcasting voices.

However, if because she is a woman, she is above reproach so no one can say they don't like Holly's broadcasting voice, and think she is awkward in the broadcast, etc. that is some b.s.

I wasn't a big fan of the pre-Holly broadcast team either, but Boler, Matt and Kristen were much more enjoyable than what we have now.

Similarly I can stand Mark Jackson or Joe Buck, both speak monotone with no emotion.
I do miss Harp and Kristen that’s for sure

Mark Jackson no emotion? What?

Yeah well Ian Eagle is next level. We’re OK for small market but Rowe and her rambling personal interest style take us down a peg IMO.
He is… he or his dad did stand up for a while… but Kustok is amazing too… and RJ is genuinely hilarious… our three aren’t on the level of any of their three. I just think if you keep hunting for talent their are good people out there… but it’s like we turn the mic over to someone and no matter how shorty they are they get the job for 20 years… it’s weird. Boler legit is just not a basketball guy.

It's not Holly's fault the broadcast is bad. She has nothing to work off of with how bad Boler/Thurl are. Plus, it really ducks up the flow when someone says something that is objectively wrong and then everyone else has to adjust and act like what that person said makes sense, which Thurl and Boler do CONSTANTLY. Idk how many times Boler had said some clearly wrong thing then everyone else is like in that awkward spot of deciding whether to correct him and make the broadcast clunky/awkward or just adjust on the fly and act like it made sense.

I don't get complaining about her voice. Overall I think the voice thing is mostly something people place blame on when they don't like someone. Maybe it's something they can't pinpoint themselves so they place it on the most front and center thing.

I do miss Harp and Kristen that’s for sure
Harpring was so corny it was entertaining at times.

Kristen was the most generic dime a dozen sideline reporter imaginable. I can't imagine missing her and I can't remember a single thing about her personality or style. (And to be fair this is the case with basically 100% of sideline reporters. It's a job with very little room to impress or show personality)

Most trio announcing teams aren't great. The ones I've liked the vest mostly just make fun of each other and it's the riffing chemistry that makes it enjoyable.

Also, an important thing to remember when judging our team vs other teams is that there is a novelty factor. When you only hear a broadcast team a few times a year, nothing they do to you is stale or played out. We have heard the same **** over and over again. We would probably get tired of any team.

I like the model we had when sometimes it was Harpring, sometimes it was Thurl. Give us more variety.