What's new

Game Thread Oct 28, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 10-28-22

I like Holly.

Of all three, she has by far the fewest facepalm-worthy comments. Thurl is a huge homer to the point where I find it grating.

Boler is Boler.
I like her in small doses. She seems like a really good person but 3 is too many on the play by play telecast. She would probably be great doing interviews, etc, sideline reporter during the game.

There was a relatively small stretch in the first and fourth quarters where the Jazz got outscored by 34 points. That is very tank worthy. JLIII would be very proud.

Those no center minutes were brutal. I wondered why Dok wasn't getting in, but then when he finally did it was obvious he's still working towards getting in game shape. It also kind of highlighted how important Kessler has been to winning.

Agbaji looked pretty good. He had some nice man defense and a couple nice drives to the hoop, just gets lost a little out there. Most of the areas where Agbaji needs help seem like they will come with minutes. He needs to play on competent lineups to really develop.

Mike Conley with a really impressive game. Hopefully the other teams are seeing this.

I like Holly.

Of all three, she has by far the fewest facepalm-worthy comments. Thurl is a huge homer to the point where I find it grating.

Boler is Boler.
Boler’s idiocy caused a fight between me and the wife. I think it was Beasley being fouled on a three point attempt, then Boler says Beasley will go to the line for two, and I lost it thinking the ref screwed the jazz. I started cussing at the tv, and my wife started yelling at me to which I jawed back, then Beas proceeded to shoot three ft’s. Thanks Boler for the added stress.

I like her in small doses. She seems like a really good person but 3 is too many on the play by play telecast. She would probably be great doing interviews, etc, sideline reporter during the game.
"in her proper place..."

"in her proper place..."
And how do you know I'm not a woman myself?

I genuinely think 3 is a crowd doing the play by play. Of the 3 voices she is my least favorite and has nothing to do with her being a woman. FWIW Doris Burke is one of my favorite play by play voices.

Vanderbilt is fine on offense when he has legit scoring threats all around him. He's the type of guy who thrives in chaos, gets you 2nd chances and hustles. You play him when you don't need him to put the ball in the basket.

What he's not is someone who you use this much as the screener in pick and rolls. He obviously can't pop because he's a total non-shooter, and he doesn't have enough size or weapons in the paint to function effectively as a roller. After he screens, he just kinda ends up floating in the middle and clogging up the area, waiting for an offensive board.

Olynyk and Lauri are by far our best screener options because they both can make things happen off pops, short rolls or diving to the hoop. I'd stagger Vanderbilt away from these guys, he should be playing more with shoot-first dudes like Beasley and Sexton in the 2nd unit. When he's not involved in pick and rolls, playing with the starters, his non-shooting on the wing shrinks the floor, making it much tougher for guys to find driving lanes.

On the other side of the ball, Vanderbilt is severely overrated IMO. He has zero discipline as a defender and mostly relies on his hustle and hops. Again, when he's more of a bonus piece and other people are doing the heavy lifting, he's fine. But he has too many flaws to be considered part of the core of your lineups.

Last edited:
Just an FYI

Complaining about women's voices being annoying when they interrupt your sportball experience is a thing that is going out of style really fast.

Might want to figure out where you want to be on this one.
PC Police on patrol! Thank you officer for your service!

But Officer Gameface, I do like women broadcasters if they know what the Hell they’re talking about and they have the good sense to shut up when they’re detracting from the game, Holly Rowe has neither. Which is why, as ambitious as she is, she’ll never be more than a sideline reporter in her other efforts. Honestly, Sir I meant no disrespect and God knows that I could listen to Doris Burke all day everyday, she’s prepared, she’s competent and she can serve up the repartee. Candace Parker takes it to another stratosphere, without question one of my favorite sportscasters in any sport. Do you watch tennis sir? Because I could listen to Taylor Townsend and Cece Bellis 24/7 as well - incredible broadcasters that probably make a mere pittance compared to Holly but actually know what the Hell they’re talking about and come prepared to a gig.

I’ll never forget Holly Rowe showing up late for her first stint (in Houston as I recall) a full two quarters late leaving poor Boler to fend for himself. Probably why they go with three now when Holly is scheduled. Anybody else and your picking up walking papers - where’d she go to school again?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=il35MoMrUxM

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yc82WTpcJ8

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KaLYez9WFFo

Ok Nuggets defended the paint real good and didn't allow fast reaks for Utah... But still... somme bs calls from refs. Some games u can do whatever and now if u touched them with a feather it was a foul.

Boler’s idiocy caused a fight between me and the wife. I think it was Beasley being fouled on a three point attempt, then Boler says Beasley will go to the line for two, and I lost it thinking the ref screwed the jazz. I started cussing at the tv, and my wife started yelling at me to which I jawed back, then Beas proceeded to shoot three ft’s. Thanks Boler for the added stress.
Be careful...Tom and Gisele used to watch Jazz games together.