What's new

Official Fire Robert Anae Thread

Whittingham, look how Wynn's freshman season went.

Cain started for 3/4 of the season which gave Wynn a lot more time to get comfortable with the offense. We also had a legit running game as soon as Wynn took over with really good wide outs, not to be confused with wide in.

Cain started for 3/4 of the season which gave Wynn a lot more time to get comfortable with the offense. We also had a legit running game as soon as Wynn took over with really good wide outs, not to be confused with wide in.
Ya, it's really not a valid comparison.

Personally I see the firing of Hill as a new era of "shorter" leash BYU football. I really don't think BYU is going to play Mr. nice guy with their coaches anymore because they have too much to lose by going independent and then becoming a lousy program. They clearly want to position BYU football to be more of a missionary tool, and for that to happen they need to win ballgames. They are trying to direct people to BYUTV for spiritual inspiration and it might actually work if BYU is winning. Andy Reid will be at BYU soon. Book it.

Cain started for most of the season, but he didn't have any experience either. He was fresh out of JuCo last year.

Cain started for most of the season, but he didn't have any experience either. He was fresh out of JuCo last year.

JuCo > High School

And I was one of those that thought BYU would be okay this year. Boy, was I mistaken. They are just bad. Luckily, I was out of town and didn't watch the Utah St. game. I likely would have thrown something (or multiple things) through TV's.

I personally think Bronco is a good coach. He was (is?) the right man at the right time. I wish he would realize that he doesn't need to be the player's Bishop. They already have one of those. I wonder what would have happened if Whitt had taken the BYU job.

JuCo > High School

And I was one of those that thought BYU would be okay this year. Boy, was I mistaken. They are just bad. Luckily, I was out of town and didn't watch the Utah St. game. I likely would have thrown something (or multiple things) through TV's.

I personally think Bronco is a good coach. He was (is?) the right man at the right time. I wish he would realize that he doesn't need to be the player's Bishop. They already have one of those. I wonder what would have happened if Whitt had taken the BYU job.

JuCo > high school, no doubt. But Riley Nelson had a lot more experience this year than Cain had last year. Granted, Riley went down while Cain started most of the year, but this BYU season was already worse than Utah's last year before Riley got hurt.

Remember, Utah's only loss before the TCU game was at Oregon (who won the Pac 10 and finished ranked #11) by 7 points with a chance to tie or win at the end. Utah also barely lost at BYU (who finished ranked #12) by 3 points in OT. They weren't getting blown out by Air Force (beat them last year- when they finished the season in the also receiving votes category, where they will likely finish this season- assuming they still get votes this year after losing to Utah and TCU).

So Utah had less experience at QB coming into last season, plus had devastating injuries at key positions, and still did much better than BYU is doing this year (Utah finished last season ranked #18).

I don't think there is any question about it- Terrence Cain is/was/will be much better than Riley Nelson. And Jordan Wynn is/was better than Heaps so far.

Last edited:
2009 Utes had much better returning talent versus this years Cougars. Utes returned 12 all-conference candidates last year with 2 of those being all-american candidates.

BYU returned inexperience at every offensive skill position. Not to mention the front seven on defense. The only talent BYU brings to the table of note was Matt Reynolds (who hasn't looked good at all).

My team sucked worse!!! LOL!

JuCo > high school, no doubt. But Riley Nelson had a lot more experience this year than Cain had last year. Granted, Riley went down while Cain started most of the year, but this BYU season was already worse than Utah's last year before Riley got hurt.

Remember, Utah's only loss before the TCU game was at Oregon (who won the Pac 10 and finished ranked #11) by 7 points with a chance to tie or win at the end. Utah also barely lost at BYU (who finished ranked #12) by 3 points in OT. They weren't getting blown out by Air Force (beat them last year- when they finished the season in the also receiving votes category, where they will likely finish this season- assuming they still get votes this year after losing to Utah and TCU).

So Utah had less experience at QB coming into last season, plus had devastating injuries at key positions, and still did much better than BYU is doing this year (Utah finished last season ranked #18).

I don't think there is any question about it- Terrence Cain is/was/will be much better than Riley Nelson. And Jordan Wynn is/was better than Heaps so far.

I can't believe I am actually agreeing with you 100%. Good hell, somebody shoot me, I'm admitting Salty is right about something.

65322_583349705641_29005546_33461714_1907869_n.jpg

Go Kitties!

Could you be any more dramatic?
You're such a BYU homer, lol. If BYU had the injuries the Utes had last year then they probably wouldn't win more than 3 games or so. Heck, they may not win more than that this year anyway.

BYU returned inexperience at every offensive skill position. Not to mention the front seven on defense.

BYU is losing with a bunch of JR and SR. It's true that their depth is fairly young and inexperienced , and there is definitely some really good young talent in the wings, but I really don't think inexperience is the issue because those guys aren't even playing. Well, I guess some of them are now that BYU players are starting to drop like flies, but up until this point I think they've just been beaten by better talent and coaching.

BYU is losing with a bunch of JR and SR. It's true that their depth is fairly young and inexperienced , and there is definitely some really good young talent in the wings, but I really don't think inexperience is the issue because those guys aren't even playing. Well, I guess some of them are now that BYU players are starting to drop like flies, but up until this point I think they've just been beaten by better talent and coaching.
Just because someone is a Jr or Sr doesn't mean they are experienced. Maybe practice experience but not game experience. But I agree there's definitely some talent issues as well.

Just because someone is a Jr or Sr doesn't mean they are experienced. Maybe practice experience but not game experience. But I agree there's definitely some talent issues as well.

I agree, but it also seems like post high school football that it's almost a bad sign if somebody hasn't broken through to any playing time until their two final years. I knew almost next to nothing about Hunter/Thomas/Frazier et al. before the year started and I could've told you that they all were going to suck. It's almost like coaches feel bad for sitting upper classmen because of the time they put into the program and the fact that those guys are almost done with playing football for the rest of their lives.

I agree, but it also seems like post high school football that it's almost a bad sign if somebody hasn't broken through to any playing time until their two final years. I knew almost next to nothing about Hunter/Thomas/Frazier et al. before the year started and I could've told you that they all were going to suck. It's almost like coaches feel bad for sitting upper classmen because of the time they put into the program and the fact that those guys are almost done with playing football for the rest of their lives.
Agreed. If you aren't getting substantial time in college til your senior year that is bad news. In BYU's case it is both . . . inexperience combined with average talent. And where they are talented they are inexperienced. This is not an issue except when it hits you at several positions.

I hate how my perfectly good Fire Anae thread got twisted into a "the Utes have 5th stringers who are more talented than BYU's starters" thread.

A quick question about Anae: When he came from Texas Tech, wasn't the plan to bring that high-octane Mike Leach offense with him? Even when BYU has been winning, I've seen nothing on offense during Anae's tenure that even comes close to looking like that Tech offense. That may sound like I'm hating, but I'm not. There's certainly nothing wrong with how BYU played offense during the 10+ win seasons.

It just seems to me that what Anae has steered extremely far away from what he was originally brought in to do.

I think BYU tried to run it and then they decided they didn't have the types of skill players they needed at that point so he called the best local Jr. High coach he could find and stole his playbook. The first part is your answer though, and to my best knowledge Anae is a terrible recruiter so they never even tried to bring back that system again.

The whole Anae thing is bizarre. He was actually brought in before Bronco was. I think it's much easier to fire a DC mid-season than an OC especially when your head coach can fill in for one but not the other. I think Anae is gone after this year.

Anae was the offensive line coach at Texas Tech. That doesn't necessarily mean that he knows anything about the passing skills necessary to install a high octane Texas Tech like offense. And I think it's showing.