What's new

Official Fire Robert Anae Thread

My parents hate Robert Anae. When he was at UNLV he would literally call my home ever single day for recruiting purposes. Hack!

Never been a fan. I'm ok with his play designs but most any OC can put together a competent playbook. It's playcalling that distinguishes the OCs around football. And with the talent-level BYU has that is even more important.

Interesting thought on Anae, and a good comparison to something the U of U went through with an awful OC:

I honestly think John Beck and Max Hall have spent the Bronco era covering for Anae's ineptitude as an OC. A BYU fan would have to help me out with this, but wasn't Beck and Max allowed to call their own plays and given plenty of leverage at changing plays at the line of scrimmage?

It would certainly make sense. Look at the 2008 Utah offense under Andy Ludwig. Dude was a terrible playcaller/game manager. Utah looked very average offensively all season long except when they were forced to go to their 2 minute offense. Obviously, once the 2 minute drill came into play, Brian Johnson was in charge of the offense. It saved Utah's season against Oregon St and TCU and thank god Whittingham was smart enough to notice this heading into the Sugar Bowl, where he employed the 2 minute offense right out of the gate.

I think it's entirely possible that Anae is an ***-clown disguised as an OC and actually has no idea what he is doing. He's just lucky that his first 2 QB's of his BYU tenure may just happen to be the 2 smartest that ever went through the program. Now he's got a true freshman who is certainly more physically gifted than the previous two, but extremely green. Not only that, Heaps will probably never be their league in terms of smarts.

If they want to maximize Heap's potential, probably best for BYU to get a real offensive mind in their ASAP.

I wonder if they chart that kind of stuff though. At the very least the HC should know at least generally over the years when the play calling was usurped by the QB and when the OC was doing most of it. But Bronco being a defensive coach, it wouldn't surprise me if he was totally clueless about it either way.

Edit is working for me for some reason, but I just wanted to add that one more reason getting rid of Anae is hard is because he has a son on the team. I've heard his son is average at best so maybe that doesn't mean too much, but I'm sure it crosses the higher ups' mind.