What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

Let me preface by saying that in no way do I blame Gobert for our loss to the Clippers (that falls on Quin). Gobert is a deserving three time DPOY IMO. However I believe in buying low and selling high, also Azubuike is an amazing prospect just languishing on our bench. With that in mind, I would gladly and in good conscience trade Gobert and Niang for Jerami Grant, Cory Joseph and Isaiah Stewart.

Makes me want to puke and if this is truly the FO mentality then the Jazz will never be anything more than make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round team. If you goal is not to do whatever you can to get better than you are falling behind. I am so depressed about this mentality of our FO. I am still puking thinking about it.
Just listen to the DL exit interview yesterday on the Zone Sports app. It is EXACTLY what DL thinks. They even commented that it wasn't entirely clear what the team needed this offseason, contrasting it with Rubio's last season where it was immediately clear to them that we needed shooting. What in the actual ****? It is equally (if not more) obvious now that the offseason need is perimeter defense. That doesn't necessarily mean we need to blow up the team, but the need is clearly perimeter defense. Whether you try to find that in the draft, free agency, or trades, that is the CLEAR need, and the fact that the FO doesn't realize that yet is scary as hell.

DL and Zanik are either really stupid, really arrogant, or a combination of both.

Last edited:
Brogdan (21.7M) and Turner (18M) for Rudy (35.3) and our 1st...and filler if needed.

The Pacers clearly wanna shake **** up there. They’ve been looking to trade Turner since forever and iirc, there was already talks that they were considering trading Brogdan.
If we let Mike walk, and could pull this off, it would be sweet as ****.

The Pacers do it to dump them, get a presence on d behind Sabonis AND get a 1st.

We do it to keep a strong defensive presence at the 5 (and one who’s not so lumbering that he could remain on the floor when teams go small and one who can hit the 3 himself) and to replace Mike and get younger. The obvious concern are their injury histories.

Then our rich *** owner can seriously lay some cash on the table and tell the FO to try to buy a couple firsts. Based on awful attendance in the league the last year and a half, I could see a couple teams trying to sell their 1sts. Buy them.

Get the best damn long 3 and d guy we can via FA. Batum? Gay? Aminu?

We’d retain most of our defensive identity this way AND get considerably younger through the trade and acquisition of 1st round pick(s).

Another poster said we can’t do this til October which might be accurate. I would’ve guessed December actually. If that’s the case, I doubt the front office would do it mid-season.

I am on the record saying I do not want or think the Jazz should trade Gobert. However, this trade would have some intrigue for me. I’m not sure why the Pacers do it though. They already have a defensive center behind Sabonis in Turner. Gobert is definitely way better than Turner, but I don’t see them giving up their starting PG to get him.

The other wrinkle with a Pacers trade is Conley. They had interest in him before and would need a replacement for Brogden. I’m pretty sure the math and sign and trade rules would prevent that from all happening as one trade through.

FWIW I'm not sure who you would trade Rudy for, but I think you need to trade Rudy if you're going to keep Donovan happy at some point. That relationship is still not perfect and Donovan will 100% blame Rudy for the collapse in game 6. I get that's not ideal but Donovan has his clique on the team and Rudy ain't part of it. There's definitely some built up tension still in that relationship that may only show during difficult moments but if you want a prayer of keeping Donovan, I'd look for every way to move Rudy and retool the roster a bit. I kind of doubt Lindsey would do it unless Ryan Smith pressured him, or better yet found a new GM. I don't think Mitchell will ask out this year but I do think it's possible he pushes for a trade the summer after if they don't get passed the 2nd round. I don't know if Mitchell would be willing to take a step back for a year or two to get rid of Rudy, but the Rudy/Donovan stuff is always going to exist and flare up at bad moments and Donovan will blame Rudy every time he can. If the Jazz can find a couple defensive long wings and shore up the issue, then I think Mitchell will ignore his pent up frustration that simmers below the surface while things are good, but if they don't he wont' be here much longer.

Last edited:
It's embarrassing how many armchair fans there are blaming Rudy for the loss and trying to trade him. Hardest worker on the team, day in and day out, game in and game out, year in and year out. By every measurable metric, by far the most important player on the roster for wins and both offensive and defensive efficiency. Also the most important when only using the eye test. Any defensive philosophy that has your only intimidator and rebounder, running to either corner to contest threes falls on coaching because the plan sucks. Corner threes are one of the best shots in basketball, but because there is already extra help (the sidelines/baseline) this is where you hide your worst defenders. Defending the corner means you are most vulnerable from anywhere else and Rudy doesn't have the quickness. Quin has proven he sucks at adjustments and while his system maximizes the three ball (and for good reason), his defensive philosophy has produced lazy defenders who don't capably deny the ball/impede progress to the basket both half court and fast break sets, or rebound with any regularity once Gobert challenges the opposition. While the last four playoff series have limited Rudy's effectiveness, coaching is entirely to blame for just how much less effective Rudy was. The Jazz just lost 4 games in a row to Ty Lue. He isn't Ty Corbin bad, but he's not good. I, personally, believe it's time to send Quin on, or bring in a defensive specialty coach to run the defense.

-Gobert to Charlotte
-Hayward to Philly
-Simmons to Utah (he would defend bigs)

Some picks and filler added by whoever to make it work. Bust *** to get a serviceable stretchy big to pair with Simmons and allow it to work (since I think this move allows the Jazz to open up the full MLE). We get something of a replacement for both Conley and Gobert in one move. I actually think the Jazz improve the least of the three teams (at least in the regular season, which I only care about to the extent that it gets the Jazz in the playoffs at this point).

Last edited:
It's embarrassing how many armchair fans there are blaming Rudy for the loss and trying to trade him. Hardest worker on the team, day in and day out, game in and game out, year in and year out. By every measurable metric, by far the most important player on the roster for wins and both offensive and defensive efficiency. Also the most important when only using the eye test. Any defensive philosophy that has your only intimidator and rebounder, running to either corner to contest threes falls on coaching because the plan sucks. Corner threes are one of the best shots in basketball, but because there is already extra help (the sidelines/baseline) this is where you hide your worst defenders. Defending the corner means you are most vulnerable from anywhere else and Rudy doesn't have the quickness. Quin has proven he sucks at adjustments and while his system maximizes the three ball (and for good reason), his defensive philosophy has produced lazy defenders who don't capably deny the ball/impede progress to the basket both half court and fast break sets, or rebound with any regularity once Gobert challenges the opposition. While the last four playoff series have limited Rudy's effectiveness, coaching is entirely to blame for just how much less effective Rudy was. The Jazz just lost 4 games in a row to Ty Lue. He isn't Ty Corbin bad, but he's not good. I, personally, believe it's time to send Quin on, or bring in a defensive specialty coach to run the defense.
The problem you’re going to run into is I do think like was mentioned above your other star player does blame him.

I agree with you entirely but what about that stud on our bench by the name of Udoka? I mean, you realize we have Favors on the books for two more years. Azubuike is an absolute stud that will never get a chance to develop in Snyder’s system as long as Rudy is around. (I’m totally on board with scuttling Snyder by the way.)
PS See my post above for more clarification.

Last edited:
The problem you’re going to run into is I do think like was mentioned above your other star player does blame him.
This is probably true, while not being factual. Mitchell is an arrogant turd who's becoming more so. Mitchell is also the only reason the squad will win a chip or 2 or 3 or.. I think Mitchell already understands how important Rudy is. Rudy does need to work on his offense and improving his hands. His offense is limiting and in the playoffs it does matter.

This is probably true, while not being factual. Mitchell is an arrogant turd who's becoming more so. Mitchell is also the only reason the squad will win a chip or 2 or 3 or.. I think Mitchell already understands how important Rudy is. Rudy does need to work on his offense and improving his hands. His offense is limiting and in the playoffs it does matter.
Why do people feel like they have to take shots at Don? I just don't get it. Is it their insecurities from being a homer for another Jazz player?

Don isn't the one out there blaming anybody else or pointing fingers when we came up short. He takes blame and busts his *** playing all the time.

He's involved with social media. Big deal. I'm so tired of people taking shots at him. Damn we live in a negative world now.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Why do people feel like they have to take shots at Don? I just don't get it. Is it their insecurities from being a homer for another Jazz player?

Don isn't the one out there blaming anybody else or pointing fingers when we came up short. He takes blame and busts his *** playing all the time.

He's involved with social media. Big deal. I'm so tired of people taking shots at him. Damn we live in a negative world now.

Agreed. Mitchell is pretty much perfect imo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

One eye is the only one who is over the top. I really am not sure how some of you can’t see that Mitchell is in fact kind of a diva, and caught really up in himself. Some of you are viewing him through his first couple years lense still. He has absolutely changed since then in how he conducts himself and the persona he’s worried about creating. He doesn’t think about how his actions impact others or the organization in any way. Maybe some of you need to take a step back from the rookie you fell in love with and realize he’s not quite the same dude?

I gotta say he’s not wrong. Rudy should be able to punish small ball lineups more, but he’s just never going to be able to.

One eye is the only one who is over the top. I really am not sure how some of you can’t see that Mitchell is in fact kind of a diva, and caught really up in himself. Some of you are viewing him through his first couple years lense still. He has absolutely changed since then in how he conducts himself and the persona he’s worried about creating. He doesn’t think about how his actions impact others or the organization in any way. Maybe some of you need to take a step back from the rookie you fell in love with and realize he’s not quite the same dude?
I'm perfectly fine to have a dialogue about this. I would like to discuss it.

If it's related to the COVID stuff with Rudy, I think we've covered that. Don had every single right to be upset considering he was the 2nd player in pro sports to test positive while his teammate, the first pro athlete with COVID, was acting like a complete idiot even in public right before Don tested positive.

Outside of the COVID stuff, how has Don acted like a diva and caught up in himself that should be any worry to me as a Jazz fan? Promising millions of his extension to help others? Selling shoes where much of the proceeds go to help others? What actions has he taken that have negatively impacted the organization? I really want to know.

I love Rudy , he has been a great Jazzman , stood proud for Utah .

I just don’t know where this team goes with him and Don being the big 2 … how many more times do you want to try , with the same outcome ?

We got exposed again in the playoffs , maybe Synder didn’t pull him cause he is our max guy ? But everyone else on the planet could see what the clippers were doing .

Think about when Rudy matches up against the best in Embiid , Jokic , AD ect … does he really slow them down ? Does he stop them ? Does he keep them under 20pts ? Nope , not really , they still get theirs .

Surely the best defensive player in the league should have some impact on them , slow them down .

Yes , he wins us the odd game , with a last play block , which is nice .

But that’s our ceiling with him isn’t it , he isn’t turning into a jump shooter taking you down on the low block , with the small guy on him … posting up the small guy … with what move ? He has the foot work of a deer with skates on … Still can’t catch passes thrown at him or finish like a 7’2 guy should .

I dunno what we get for him , but we’ve seen this movie before , it’s time to try something else