What's new

Official UofU homer thread

I still think we split the LA games. I have us losing to USC. They are good. UCLA is at home and we match up very well vs them.

There are lotsa teams that can play spoiler left on the schedule. Utah has to give each team their full attention every week. You can be sure that every team we play has circled Utah on their schedule now.

Smartest thing that guy's ever said.
Cy's only really annoying when he's jealous of the Utes and the pac12. He knows his little team from Miss. would lose every game against pac 12 teams. Hell even Colorado would beat them.

There are lotsa teams that can play spoiler left on the schedule. Utah has to give each team their full attention every week. You can be sure that every team we play has circled Utah on their schedule now.
If the Utes want a special season they have just set the table. But I don't want them over looking Colorado again and losing to end the year like they did 4 years ago.

That fake punt return was incredible! Here it is in-case anyone missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqe7qH4qfas
It was amazing. How did the Utes know he was going to kick it left? Watch the guy get into position to catch it, and check out the acting job by Covey. Not only was it perfectly executed, but a ton of luck went into Oregon playing it the way they did.

It was amazing. How did the Utes know he was going to kick it left? Watch the guy get into position to catch it, and check out the acting job by Covey. Not only was it perfectly executed, but a ton of luck went into Oregon playing it the way they did.
The best part of it is, for the rest of the season punt coverage teams are going to be slowed looking for the ball and making sure the Utes aren't doing it again. Which should help with average yardage on punt returns for the rest of the season.
I think it's something they have called on more than just this punt, if the kicker kicks it left Covey runs right and looks like he's going to catch it. It the kicker kicks it anywhere else Covey just catches it and runs or calls a fair catch. I'd have to go back and see what Hobbs is doing on other punt returns both in this game and others to see if that's the case. Since I don't know how or have the desire to find out I guess I'll assume this is the case.

The best part of it is, for the rest of the season punt coverage teams are going to be slowed looking for the ball and making sure the Utes aren't doing it again. Which should help with average yardage on punt returns for the rest of the season.
I think it's something they have called on more than just this punt, if the kicker kicks it left Covey runs right and looks like he's going to catch it. It the kicker kicks it anywhere else Covey just catches it and runs or calls a fair catch. I'd have to go back and see what Hobbs is doing on other punt returns both in this game and others to see if that's the case. Since I don't know how or have the desire to find out I guess I'll assume this is the case.
Good point about the effect on future returns. With a returner as dynamic as Covey that could mean a lot. It would be interesting to look back at other punts and see if your hunch is right. It's actually a bit of a risk on the Utes part because they devoted quite a bit of blocking to Hobbs. If they are doing that on every punt there are bound to be cases where it negatively effects Covey.

It was also interesting to me that Covey started out shaded to that side of the field. If I wanted a guy to kick to his left I would probably set up to his right. But the plan definitely worked.

Surprised Utah made it to #12 on the Coach's Poll. I'd thought they'd be at 13 behind Bama, but they got over Bama.

Utah up to #12 and Oregon somehow doesn't fall out of the latest poll. If O is #25 then the U should be a lot higher than #12.

Who would you drop? Clemson and Florida State are the only teams you could possibly make a case for.
Utah beat the 25th and 26th teams. Michigan state played Oregon at home and barely won yet they are 2nd in the poll. That alone makes the case that Utah is being screwed in this poll. Not only that Utah should have started the season in the top 25 and that would have jumped them higher than this. Florida State, UCLA, Clemson, Michigan state and many others have not had 2 wins more impressive than Michigan and at Oregon. Utah dominated both of those games, while not really being challenged in their other 2 games either. I get that the big 10 and the SEC have the press wrapped around their ***** so it's not surprising.
I don't think Utah should be #2, But being #12 is a slap in the face. Right now they should be a top 10 team.

Utah beat the 25th and 26th teams. Michigan state played Oregon at home and barely won yet they are 2nd in the poll. That alone makes the case that Utah is being screwed in this poll. Not only that Utah should have started the season in the top 25 and that would have jumped them higher than this. Florida State, UCLA, Clemson, Michigan state and many others have not had 2 wins more impressive than Michigan and at Oregon. Utah dominated both of those games, while not really being challenged in their other 2 games either. I get that the big 10 and the SEC have the press wrapped around their ***** so it's not surprising.
I don't think Utah should be #2, But being #12 is a slap in the face. Right now they should be a top 10 team.

Yes, but in general if you are ranked higher and win games, you don't get uprooted that easily. Utah has some good wins and impressive wins, but nothing monumental that really makes it a clear decision to put them over previously higher ranked teams who haven't lost. That's just the way it has always been, I dont think they are going to change it that much just because Utah beat Oregon at #13. They might get 10, but I would be really surprised if they went higher.

Yes, but in general if you are ranked higher and win games, you don't get uprooted that easily. Utah has some good wins and impressive wins, but nothing monumental that really makes it a clear decision to put them over previously higher ranked teams who haven't lost. That's just the way it has always been, I dont think they are going to change it that much just because Utah beat Oregon at #13. They might get 10, but I would be really surprised if they went higher.
The key to being ranked higher is being on the east coast. That is where the most over rated teams are at.

Interesting note 6 pac schools in the top 25 and (I think) 7 SEC schools. I say I think because I don't honestly know who the bottom feeders in the SEC are that may be in this poll. Until Cy I couldn't have told you that Ole Miss and Miss state were SEC schools, because they have been irrelevant in that conference for so long.

Interesting note 6 pac schools in the top 25 and (I think) 7 SEC schools. I say I think because I don't honestly know who the bottom feeders in the SEC are that may be in this poll. Until Cy I couldn't have told you that Ole Miss and Miss state were SEC schools, because they have been irrelevant in that conference for so long.

You proud of knowing nothing? Weird.

I would say none of the currently ranked SEC teams are bad. I think Kentucky should be ranked too and are much better than most people realize.