What's new

Official UofU homer thread

Yes, but in general if you are ranked higher and win games, you don't get uprooted that easily. Utah has some good wins and impressive wins, but nothing monumental that really makes it a clear decision to put them over previously higher ranked teams who haven't lost. That's just the way it has always been, I dont think they are going to change it that much just because Utah beat Oregon at #13. They might get 10, but I would be really surprised if they went higher.

Utah has earned it on the field. We got our starting QB back, Whitt opened up the playbook and we spanked Oregon 62-20 on the same day that Michigan spanked BYU 31-0. If you look at the field objectively by what teams have proven on the field Utah should be a top 5 team. You really can't make an argument against Utah's resume.

Utah has earned it on the field. We got our starting QB back, Whitt opened up the playbook and we spanked Oregon 62-20 on the same day that Michigan spanked BYU 31-0. If you look at the field objectively by what teams have proven on the field Utah should be a top 5 team. You really can't make an argument against Utah's resume.

What? What does Michigan spanking BYU have to do with Utah? You can't apply the law transitivity to football that much.

Utah beat a #13 ranked team and Michigan in week 1. That isn't a top 5 team at all, try to be objective. If Utah beats Cal next time, that will probably put them in the top 10, so there is no real reason to get to upset about it because if they are really about that top 10 life, they will get a chance to prove it again with another low rank win.

Last edited:
What? What does Michigan spanking BYU have to do with Utah? You can't apply the law transitivity to football that much.

Utah beat a #13 ranked team and Michigan in week 1. That isn't a top 5 team at all, try to be objective.

BYU is not in the conversation. The point is that Michigan proved that they are a good team. Ergo a good win.

Look at it the same way the selection committee will. What 5 teams have a better resume than Utah? I think Ole Miss and Michigan State have earned their spots. TCU and Baylor certainly haven't.

BYU is not in the conversation. The point is that Michigan proved that they are a good team. Ergo a good win.

Look at it the same way the selection committee will. What 5 teams have a better resume than Utah? I think Ole Miss and Michigan State have earned their spots. TCU and Baylor certainly haven't.

Baylor has spanked every team put in front of them and havent showed they should drop in rank to a team that doesn't have a top 10 win.

TCU. Yeah they have two close games to two questionable teams, but they won. How much do point spreads matter? IDK the answer to that as it isn't an exact science.

How much can you really put into a team running up the score vs. a team grinding out a close win? How much can you put into a Week 1 win? When you win probably more than point spreads.

Your preseason rank matters, especially this early in the season. No reason to really put too much stock into rankings at this point anyway. Teams that should lose will lose and teams that should win will win.

Utah could run the table in the Pac-12 since it seems like a down year for the top of the conference as there seems to be no juggernaut in the conference and just a few good teams.

Baylor has spanked every team put in front of them and havent showed they should drop in rank to a team that doesn't have a top 10 win.

TCU. Yeah they have two close games to two questionable teams, but they won. How much do point spreads matter? IDK the answer to that as it isn't an exact science.

How much can you really put into a team running up the score vs. a team grinding out a close win? How much can you put into a Week 1 win? When you win probably more than point spreads.

Your preseason rank matters, especially this early in the season. No reason to really put too much stock into rankings at this point anyway. Teams that should lose will lose and teams that should win will win.

Utah could run the table in the Pac-12 since it seems like a down year for the top of the conference as there seems to be no juggernaut in the conference and just a few good teams.

Baylor is way better than Conference USA teams! Who gives a ****?

Baylor is way better than Conference USA teams! Who gives a ****?

OK, but why would you drop them to a team that just beat a #13 ranked team? It doesn't make sense and would be way too reactionary to 1 game and would be pretty unprecedented. If Oregon was a top ranked team, it would make sense.

OK, but why would you drop them to a team that just beat a #13 ranked team? It doesn't make sense and would be way too reactionary to 1 game and would be pretty unprecedented. If Oregon was a top ranked team, it would make sense.

You're not dropping teams imv. You're picking the top 25. You either prove that you are or you don't. At this point if you haven't proved it you shouldn't be there.

OK, I guess you can make your own ranking system that ignores reason.

I don't have to. It already exists. The playoff committee does exactly what I'm saying. It's why the Big XII won't have a team in the playoff yet again.

Srsly even if the Pac 12 is as bad as you think Notre Dame will sneak in and snag the last spot. It won't be TCU or Baylor and that's their own fault.

Ute fans, don't sweat the rankings. While I may not agree with them either, things are going to take care of themselves if Utah keeps winning. In the MWC days, the rankings were a million times more crucial when Utah was trying to move up in an effort to bust the BCS.

Utah's next game is vs a ranked Cal team. Hopefully, UCLA will still be undefeated and ranked higher than us when they come to SLC. USC should still be ranked when we play in LA. Arizona will be ranked. The point is, when you factor in the PAC 12 schedule and a possible conference title game, Utah's going to get enough quality wins to put them where they need to be at the end of the season.

Last night was exciting, and that's not even doing it justice, but we've got a long way to go with a very tough schedule ahead of us. I wanna see this team continue to play like we've seen last night and win a few more big games before I worry about getting hosed in the rankings.

The point is they started over rated and that hasn't changed. Utah started under rated and that hasn't changed. If the polls started now Utah would be higher ranked than a lot of the teams ahead of them on merit alone. The only reason they are not is because of the bias of the poll voters in the pre season and now.

You also cant really make a logical system for college football.

Beating the #13 team and being ranked #5 also isn't a logical thing, especially when no one in the top 10 lost.
Previous ranking should have absolutely no bearing on the new rankings. NONE.

You also cant really make a logical system for college football.

Beating the #13 team and being ranked #5 also isn't a logical thing, especially when no one in the top 10 lost.
You are stuck on a previous poll. The ranking last week should not matter when picking a new top 25. The teams they played should matter but not the arbitrary ranking you gave them the week before. Especially this early in the season. Therefore you are not dropping them in the ranking's. You are reassessing the ranking they have earned. And to do that you should enter each weeks polls with a clean slate and re-rank based on current merit not past merit.

You are stuck on a previous poll. The ranking last week should not matter when picking a new top 25. The teams they played should matter but not the arbitrary ranking you gave them the week before. Especially this early in the season.
Thats not how it has ever worked.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Ute fans, don't sweat the rankings. While I may not agree with them either, things are going to take care of themselves if Utah keeps winning. In the MWC days, the rankings were a million times more crucial when Utah was trying to move up in an effort to bust the BCS.

Utah's next game is vs a ranked Cal team. Hopefully, UCLA will still be undefeated and ranked higher than us when they come to SLC. USC should still be ranked when we play in LA. Arizona will be ranked. The point is, when you factor in the PAC 12 schedule and a possible conference title game, Utah's going to get enough quality wins to put them where they need to be at the end of the season.

Last night was exciting, and that's not even doing it justice, but we've got a long way to go with a very tough schedule ahead of us. I wanna see this team continue to play like we've seen last night and win a few more big games before I worry about getting hosed in the rankings.

Ya, with us being in the PAC 12 all that matters is that we keep winning.

Just cool to have bragging rights of being ranked high is all.

We jumped some pretty storied programs in the AP without them losing. Pretty cool.

I couldn't care less about the Coaches Poll and it needs to be done away with entirely.