What's new

Offseason Plan + Lauri Thread

On one hand, I do think we should be playing the draft game. On the other hand, do we even need to trade Lauri to play the draft game? Should we trade him anyways?

If DET or HOU puts Ausar/Amen on the table, are we biting? I think Amen is so impressive. I think I would do it and prefer a package where you get an elite prospect versus more random picks.

Nets will either get Donny in trade or we could help them by sending Sexton and Collins for BS (who we waive or keep away from the team) and picks/young players.

Sell Lauri on the tank and having maximum salary flexibility with BS expiring to add in FA (so we lie to him but he should be used to it by now).
I'm all for helping the nets but I want those suns picks so let's send them Lauri and let's not screw around and make this a rock solid 2 year tank. I want a top 5 pick in 25 and 26.

I think the issue with a one year tank is I do think we need to be bottom 5-6 for both 2025 and 2026 to give ourselves real shots at the tip top talent. I think I'm ready to just bite the bullet and cash in on Lauri (I won't bemoan the team if they don't... so long as they find a way to be bottom 5 in 2025 another way). If he is okay with a 1-2 year tank type of plan from here I will keep him around but he almost needs to be in on it. I can see him being okay if his family is comfortable and he like being "the Man" here. I can also see him hearing an OKC or "insert good team X" is interested in him and preferring not to wait. Tricky part for him is getting the extension this year still.

I think the issue with a one year tank is I do think we need to be bottom 5-6 for both 2025 and 2026 to give ourselves real shots at the tip top talent. I think I'm ready to just bite the bullet and cash in on Lauri (I won't bemoan the team if they don't... so long as they find a way to be bottom 5 in 2025 another way). If he is okay with a 1-2 year tank type of plan from here I will keep him around but he almost needs to be in on it. I can see him being okay if his family is comfortable and he like being "the Man" here. I can also see him hearing an OKC or "insert good team X" is interested in him and preferring not to wait. Tricky part for him is getting the extension this year still.
Agreed. Lauri needs to be in on it or "injured" for most of the year because he is good enough to pull us into another 8-14 pick level with any reasonable supporting cast.

Only one thing is certain. The year the Jazz finally get top 4 lotto ball odds will be the year multiple picks from #5-14 jump into the top 4.

On one hand, I do think we should be playing the draft game. On the other hand, do we even need to trade Lauri to play the draft game? Should we trade him anyways?

If DET or HOU puts Ausar/Amen on the table, are we biting? I think Amen is so impressive. I think I would do it and prefer a package where you get an elite prospect versus more random picks.
Give me Amen and those nets picks and whatever salary they need to send out and we have a deal.

I think we'll be bottom 4 in 2025 and especially so if we trade Sexton. I also think that it's a lock that Lauri extends, just too much guaranteed money to pass up. If we decide we want to double dip again in 2026, we can still trade Lauri. Maybe you lose some trade value there, but might be worth the cost of keeping your options open.

Yeah I want less volume and more premium I think in most cases. I am not sure how sold they are on Amen but I think that he is likely off the table. Detroit may put Ausar on the table if they are concerned with his medical issue.

I would be trying to get a premium prospect, a top 10 pick this year, one more premium pick. I do think Sacramento, GS, OKC might have quality and volume of picks that could persuade me to move off the formula though. I also like the idea of making the west a little tougher in the immediate future to add one more variable for Minny to deal with.

Hell yes. Big athletic playtmakers is a huge need. Both for team building and making the team more entertaining to watch.

I think the '25 draft is a fairly strong one. I wouldn't call it generational. Of the players I've seen so far in the '25 class, Ace Bailey is probably the best at creating looks for himself and knocking many of them down. He fits the blueprint for a 1st-option scorer. He's like a young Paul George. VJ Edgecombe is a solid athlete with the potential for 3-level scoring at 6'4" or so. *Maybe* he's projectable to become something in the same ballpark as Anthony Edwards....maybe, but that's being optimistic. Cooper Flagg is interesting, but I wouldn't bet the house that he's going to become an unstoppable offensive force. He's not elite off the dribble right now. He might draw a double-team and make the right read though.

I would tank for the draft, but I wouldn't trade Lauri to do it. It's not easy to find an All Star-caliber 7-footer with 50-40-88 splits who also likes being in the mountains.

I think we'll be bottom 4 in 2025 and especially so if we trade Sexton. I also think that it's a lock that Lauri extends, just too much guaranteed money to pass up. If we decide we want to double dip again in 2026, we can still trade Lauri. Maybe you lose some trade value there, but might be worth the cost of keeping your options open.
Yeah I can get with this plan too. It would suck to have our pick this year be awesome and ready now and have the young guys take major leaps and actually have something cooking but you just traded an all-star who fits every team.

I just think if you get a full price offer on Lauri that you take it. My full price offer is likely higher than many on the board though. Like assume Houston says no Amen... I would want the Brooklyn pick that Houston owns this year (no matter where it falls but if its top 4 great), the 2026 Brooklyn pick, and Jabari Smith or Green/Eason... If the 2024 pick jumps top 4 then I'd likely be flexible on which second tier prospects they send.

Yeah I want less volume and more premium I think in most cases. I am not sure how sold they are on Amen but I think that he is likely off the table. Detroit may put Ausar on the table if they are concerned with his medical issue.

I would be trying to get a premium prospect, a top 10 pick this year, one more premium pick. I do think Sacramento, GS, OKC might have quality and volume of picks that could persuade me to move off the formula though. I also like the idea of making the west a little tougher in the immediate future to add one more variable for Minny to deal with.

Tbh, I don't think there is a premium prospect in this year's draft. Of course there will be all stars in this draft, but even if we get the #1 pick I'm not really thinking we have a premium prospect.

I don't think the Kings have enough juice for me. Not really excited about owning their picks when they have Sabonis, Fox, and Lauri locked up. They are the Kings, but still not that great IMO. Don't think Keegan is that amazing either.

Thunder have a lot of volume, those Clippers picks might also be considered premium but I think NBA players will always flock there. They won't be putting their actual premium picks on the line. Think Giddey is fine, but not great.

GSW....eh Idk. I like Kuminga, don't love the package they could put together.

DET and HOU are the two teams that interest me the most, don't know if they want to play ball though.

I put this in another thread, and so I just copied and pasted:

This would be my decision tree:
- Is Lauri willing to sign an extension: -if no, trade him and Sexton i.e. "full rebuild", if yes - extend him
- Is Lauri willing to be patient for a year or two while you try and accumulate more talent from the draft? - If yes - consider trading Sexton - if no, see next question
- Can you acquire players to improve the roster composition next season? - If no - "full rebuild" - if yes - acquire players and go for it

Sacramento has a pick they owe Atlanta that likely does not convey this year, but there is some stuff you could do with picks and swaps to control their draft for the next 5 years that i think could be really profitable. Looping in the 25/27 cavs/wolves picks for "super swaps" in those years. I think they will do something dumb this offseason as an overreaction to taking a step back this year.

With the 2025 draft potentially being deep with all stars, but not top heavy, and the 2026 draft potentially being top heavy, it could definitely work to sign Lauri and trade him at the deadline next year. It might ruin our tank for 2025, but we should still have a chance at a great player, but would set us up very nicely for 2026.

I'm all for helping the nets but I want those suns picks so let's send them Lauri and let's not screw around and make this a rock solid 2 year tank. I want a top 5 pick in 25 and 26.

I could see the Nets doing this. They'd build around Donovan, Bridges and Lauri, then delay an extensions for Lauri and Donovan long enough to bring a decent free agent. They'd need to get someone to take Ben Simmons' contract. Nets would be a good team. Not sure they'd be a contending team though.

I think we got Lauri in that trade as a throw in, basically we got him for next to nothing. Trading him for maximum value or close to could really catapult this team to new highs over the next 10-12 years.

Tbh, I don't think there is a premium prospect in this year's draft. Of course there will be all stars in this draft, but even if we get the #1 pick I'm not really thinking we have a premium prospect.
I think a top 10 pick is still better than a random future pick... so I would give it a boost. Especially if its top 4. Like would you rather have a top 4 pick in this draft or the Cavs 2025 pick we own?
I don't think the Kings have enough juice for me. Not really excited about owning their picks when they have Sabonis, Fox, and Lauri locked up. They are the Kings, but still not that great IMO. Don't think Keegan is that amazing either.
Kangs gonna Kang. I think they likely hover between play in and playoff team with the group they have. Lauri would be a flight risk as they would not be able to extend him. The swaps could add a ton of value if we loop in several picks. They could also send the 13th pick on draft night.
Thunder have a lot of volume, those Clippers picks might also be considered premium but I think NBA players will always flock there. They won't be putting their actual premium picks on the line. Think Giddey is fine, but not great.
Giddey is whatevs... I'd ask about Wallace. I think getting our pick obligation taken care of as well as the additional picks they have (they have a lot of swappy stuff that is hard to follow). Its not ideal but they have a late lotto pick this year too. Its more of a volume deal that we don't need... so not ideal. I wonder if you could reroute Giddey or if you just keep him and see if he's a long term guy.
GSW....eh Idk. I like Kuminga, don't love the package they could put together.
Not a Kuminga fan either. I just think that team is capped out and about to age out big time. So their draft future could be really nice. Not sure Lauri would want to stay there long term. Its a great franchise but a tough city to raise kids in unless you really like that sort of thing. I would not want to live there and sometimes a long weekend is too much tbh.
DET and HOU are the two teams that interest me the most, don't know if they want to play ball though.
Detroit has that protected pick that would need to be worked around. I do think they are much more likely to send Ausar than Houston would to send Amen. I also think Houston has more interesting pieces and is going to be more willing to deal. It also creates one more potential playoff team to crowd the Wolves out if they have injuries.

If Detroit wanted to send Ausar and their pick this year plus maybe a swap in the next year or two I would consider that. They also can do the renegotiate and extend and they have Lauri's homey already.