What's new

Offseason Plan + Lauri Thread

I could see the Nets doing this. They'd build around Donovan, Bridges and Lauri, then delay an extensions for Lauri and Donovan long enough to bring a decent free agent. They'd need to get someone to take Ben Simmons' contract. Nets would be a good team. Not sure they'd be a contending team though.
They don't have the assets to trade for both lauri and Don imo. Don requires a few picks and Cam Johnson... Lauri also requires a few picks they then would not have.

I think the '25 draft is a fairly strong one. I wouldn't call it generational. Of the players I've seen so far in the '25 class, Ace Bailey is probably the best at creating looks for himself and knocking many of them down. He fits the blueprint for a 1st-option scorer. He's like a young Paul George. VJ Edgecombe is a solid athlete with the potential for 3-level scoring at 6'4" or so. *Maybe* he's projectable to become something in the same ballpark as Anthony Edwards....maybe, but that's being optimistic. Cooper Flagg is interesting, but I wouldn't bet the house that he's going to become an unstoppable offensive force. He's not elite off the dribble right now. He might draw a double-team and make the right read though.

I would tank for the draft, but I wouldn't trade Lauri to do it. It's not easy to find an All Star-caliber 7-footer with 50-40-88 splits who also likes being in the mountains.
I think the key point here is "who also likes being in the [UT] mountains". Really hard to find starts who are happy here. We need to keep him if we can find a way to make doing so work with our timeline.

Agreed. Lauri needs to be in on it or "injured" for most of the year because he is good enough to pull us into another 8-14 pick level with any reasonable supporting cast.
I think with how the west will line up next year we could be bottom 7 fairly organically. Bottom 5 if we move on from Sexton and abstain using our cap space for guys like John Collins. The top 12-13 teams in the West next year are going to be tough to compete with. Inevitably a team or two drop out because of injury but still.

@KqWIN Ausar has a blot clot issue that is kind of worrisome. Not sure how altitude bothers that or if its a long term issue... assume it isn't. Would you take Ausar and their top 4 pick this year for Lauri or do you want more?

Listening to Ainge's end of season presser now. Already one "almost Ainge". I take all of these pressers with all the grains of salt... I don't think front offices should be all that transparent... so its not criticism. It does sound like they are still looking for the star trade.

Talking about how nothing is guaranteed and how you can't have a set plan as things change. Talked about how they thought they were getting KD in the draft in Boston and then slid to #5 and KG and Ray Allen became available.

I think its all about opportunity with Ainge... not sure if that is good or bad lol.

Says all three rookies and Walker Kessler will play in summer league this year lol. Plus Lofton and others etc.

The plan is definitely wait til someone becomes available in a trade and until then build up who you can build up

@KqWIN Ausar has a blot clot issue that is kind of worrisome. Not sure how altitude bothers that or if its a long term issue... assume it isn't. Would you take Ausar and their top 4 pick this year for Lauri or do you want more?

That's a good question. I don't think it's a "can't say no" kind of offer, but if Lauri doesn't want to stick around that's the territory of offer that makes you consider it. I do value more premium assets like Ausar and a guaranteed top 4 picks compared to distant, unprotected picks from teams that are probably going to be very good. That's better than a 4 future first round pick kind of offer IMO.

DA also said he doesnt want to come to camp with 6 players under 20. Said its not option A, B, or C
I did jot that down too. I bet we move one of the picks. He did say its possible.

Pick to LA - Bronny to LA - pick protections removed and a second back to Utah... book it.

The plan is definitely wait til someone becomes available in a trade and until then build up who you can build up
That is plan A I think... he is talking a lot about no definitive path and you have to have optionality etc.

I did jot that down too. I bet we move one of the picks. He did say its possible.

Pick to LA - Bronny to LA - pick protections removed and a second back to Utah... book it.
That's probably the maximum ****ing with Bronny you can do without pissing off Klutch too much. I just think Klutch has such power it's going to be too much of a headache to draft him and the Lakers are going to balk hard at taking protections off just to appease James.

I do like listening to Ainge. He's sharp and well spoken.

That's probably the maximum ****ing with Bronny you can do without pissing off Klutch too much. I just think Klutch has such power it's going to be too much of a headache to draft him and the Lakers are going to balk hard at taking protections off just to appease James.
I think they all agree to it beforehand. Early enough it stops people from effing with them. Appeases the King. It may have to be the first rounder so they can say Bronny was a first rounder. I doubt they want him going undrafted and they don't have a lot of trade ammo they can spare. It allows them to trade the pick twice essentially.

It will be the final payment of the layaway plan Ainge put the Lakers on that started with the THT deal.

I do believe the rumors that the Jazz went after Porzingis/Holiday and that they were actually close on Porzingis.

I do believe the rumors that the Jazz went after Porzingis/Holiday and that they were actually close on Porzingis.
I do as well... but he is always close to doing stuff.