What's new

Offseason Plan + Lauri Thread

To me the swing decision is what you are doing with Sexton.

Sexton had an incredible year and should be able to build off it next year. Are you trading him so you can play a bunch of rookie contract players around Lauri and basically guarantee you are a bottom 8 team?

Man... I don't think there is any good option.

Bottom 5 or 6 feels like we would perfectly miss out on all tier one players in next years class. I think that is my worst case scenario. This would still feel like fence sitting instead of actually committing to a plan.

Two years removed from two really savvy trades, some pretty good draft picks. And we are worse than ever, and I don't know if a single young player is a long term piece (I'm not doing any Core 4 **** for mid *** players again). I know people would say the picks haven't even stated to come through yet, but a bunch of non lotto draft picks? We are just hoping to hit an all time jackpot of a draft pick? That is the 'plan'?

I hope the Coyotes have a good season next year...
All this tank talk is getting me revved up and excited though I doubt the jazz have the collective balls to tank that long.

From what I'm seeing the 2025 draft looks to be deep with all star level talent, but doesn't have the superstar top end that people think of with great drafts. I think 2026 with Dybantsa and Boozer is that top end talent that people associate with an amazing draft. From what I understand both of those guys would go ahead of anybody in the 2025 draft.
I thought Dybansta reclassed to 2025?

I think the plan is actually pretty clear at this point. We are essentially a tanking team + Lauri. Lauri will likely keep ups from being one of the worst teams in the league, but we will only start winning more games once the young guys improve/we find a trade. I'd be pretty shocked if we trade Lauri. Sexton is likely to get moved IMO, and Clarkson+Collins will be moved if possible. Think we would keep them around as a veteran presence over paying picks to dump them.

I don't even have a problem with this, but they should not have wasted two years of doing half and half.

I think the plan is actually pretty clear at this point. We are essentially a tanking team + Lauri. Lauri will likely keep ups from being one of the worst teams in the league, but we will only start winning more games once the young guys improve/we find a trade. I'd be pretty shocked if we trade Lauri. Sexton is likely to get moved IMO, and Clarkson+Collins will be moved if possible. Think we would keep them around as a veteran presence over paying picks to dump them.

I don't even have a problem with this, but they should not have wasted two years of doing half and half.
I don't think Lauri is good enough to keep us out of the bottom 2 in the west if we move Sexton. Even with Sexton I think there is a good chance we are bottom 3 in the west.

I don't think Lauri is good enough to keep us out of the bottom 2 in the west if we move Sexton. Even with Sexton I think there is a good chance we are bottom 3 in the west.

Depends on how much we allow him to play basketball. Eventually the young guys are going to get better as well.

We need the Spurs, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets, and Blazers to get better, fast.

Tbh, the lottery odds are really flattened out these days so it's not absolutely critical that you are the worst, or very worst team. The chances of getting a top 3 pick are almost exactly the same as long as you're one of the bottom 4. Downside risk is different, but if we're talking about Flagg and Dybansta we're strictly talking about the very top, lucky outcomes.

Depends on how much we allow him to play basketball. Eventually the young guys are going to get better as well.
They will get better but we are pretty far behind most teams in the talent department. The griz should jump us comfortably. The spurs likely add win now free agents to fight for the play in. I think the blazers are more talented as well right now but I have a feeling they sell off vets and go full tank.

They will get better but we are pretty far behind most teams in the talent department. The griz should jump us comfortably. The spurs likely add win now free agents to fight for the play in. I think the blazers are more talented as well right now but I have a feeling they sell off vets and go full tank.

Could easily see us getting top 4. As as we're in there, the chances are almost the same.

WAS and POR are the only obvious teams that come to mind who will bottom out.

This is the way I see it.

Spurs- They have their generational player in Wemby and by himself he should be able to carry them closer to the play in than the bottom of of the west. With that in mind I expect the spurs to add win now depth this offseason and fight to be a playoff team.
Wizards- They are firmly in the tank race
Pistons- The gm is probably on the hot seat and he needs to see progress so expect them to add a few win now pieces in the offseason to shore up their depth.
Hornets- I really like the trio of Melo, Miller and Bridges. If those guys are relatively healthy then they should be much improved. Add in a top 5 pick and a few free agents and they may be building something.
Blazers- Right now they have a mix of vets and youngsters so they could go either direction with 2 1st rd picks added to your young guys. My guess is they go full youth movement though and trade Brogdon and Grant. They are the team that we would be competing with for the bottom of the west.
Nets- They have no incentive to be bad but if they don't make a big trade I think they could be near the bottom of the east
Bulls- They probably stay in the middle ground but they should be tearing it down.

Graduating HS in 25, NBA in 26.
As I typed it I thought I might be making that mistake. Adding him to this draft was part of my "urgency". Okay 2025 still really good.

Spurs will glow up because of Victor. It already started back half of the year. Wiz are in the longest of rebuilds... no chance. Pistons have space and lots of young guys that are improving so I could see a 5-10 win bump next year even if they didn't have some amazing offseason. Hornets are under new management. If Lamelo is healthy maybe they trend up. Blazers are in a long rebuild and have a ****** coach (a really underrated way to tank). i think if we moved Sexton and maybe one of Clarkson/Collins/Kessler and replaced them with rookies or young players we could be bottom 5. manage Lauri's minutes a bit.

This is the way I see it.

Spurs- They have their generational player in Wemby and by himself he should be able to carry them closer to the play in than the bottom of of the west. With that in mind I expect the spurs to add win now depth this offseason and fight to be a playoff team.
Wizards- They are firmly in the tank race
Pistons- The gm is probably on the hot seat and he needs to see progress so expect them to add a few win now pieces in the offseason to shore up their depth.
Hornets- I really like the trio of Melo, Miller and Bridges. If those guys are relatively healthy then they should be much improved. Add in a top 5 pick and a few free agents and they may be building something.
Blazers- Right now they have a mix of vets and youngsters so they could go either direction with 2 1st rd picks added to your young guys. My guess is they go full youth movement though and trade Brogdon and Grant. They are the team that we would be competing with for the bottom of the west.
Nets- They have no incentive to be bad but if they don't make a big trade I think they could be near the bottom of the east
Bulls- They probably stay in the middle ground but they should be tearing it down.
Nets will either get Donny in trade or we could help them by sending Sexton and Collins for BS (who we waive or keep away from the team) and picks/young players.

Sell Lauri on the tank and having maximum salary flexibility with BS expiring to add in FA (so we lie to him but he should be used to it by now).