What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

Won't this also stop the Jazz from frontloading Jordan Clarkson's renegotiate and extend? I thought that couldn't be finalized until November.
Nope. Clarkson renegotiate and extend is done. This signing is with what I believe is called the room exception or version of the mid level exception for teams that aren't above the cap.

Nope. Clarkson renegotiate and extend is done. This signing is with what I believe is called the room exception or version of the mid level exception for teams that aren't above the cap.
How can it be done though? Renegotiations can't be finalized until 3 years after the signing of the original contract, which isn't until November for Clarkson. I took a look at the new CBA (page 255), and this is still the case.
Yes, Paul Reed can be signed with that exception, but I'm pretty sure the salary still counts against the cap, which would eat away the space for Clarkson's renegotiation.

Love how Ainge is the exact opposite of how Lindsey treated assets. Buying low, not giving away unnecessary concessions to players that hurt cap handling, making it difficult for the other teams involved. Ainge sees this layer of the NBA as a competitive game just as much as it was when he was on the court and he scratches and claws for wins just as much on his current playing field.

Love how Ainge is the exact opposite of how Lindsey treated assets. Buying low, not giving away unnecessary concessions to players that hurt cap handling, making it difficult for the other teams involved. Ainge sees this layer of the NBA as a competitive game just as much as it was when he was on the court and he scratches and claws for wins just as much on his current playing field.

I do appreciate that Ainge did not let the Room Exception go to waste. I think DL was very content doing the bare minimum (although you could argue that the times where he did not use the MLE were his best because every other time it became a negative asset). If DL felt he could get away with running it back he would do it every time.

Another potential comp could be Kevon Looney, imo. He can handle and drive a bit, but his ability to defend all three front court positions is probably his biggest appeal atm.
I think he compares pretty favorably to Derrick Favors from 6 years ago.

How can it be done though? Renegotiations can't be finalized until 3 years after the signing of the original contract, which isn't until November for Clarkson. I took a look at the new CBA (page 255), and this is still the case.
Yes, Paul Reed can be signed with that exception, but I'm pretty sure the salary still counts against the cap, which would eat away the space for Clarkson's renegotiation.
Did Clarkson actually go to free agency last time or was it a contract extension? If I remember correctly it was a contract extension so it may be viewed differently than signing a fresh new contract for the renegotiate and extend purpose.

Smart signing. Reed is an effecient, tough player that plays within his limits. Stepped in nicely for Embiid in the playoffs last year for 2 games - Philly won both games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPKcFYryhs

I wonder if that was the game that brought Reed to the attention of Ainge, Hardy and the Jazz. Pretty amazing that they actually won the two games that Reed started in Embid’s absence and then crumbled in seven after Embid’s return.

Did Clarkson actually go to free agency last time or was it a contract extension? If I remember correctly it was a contract extension so it may be viewed differently than signing a fresh new contract for the renegotiate and extend purpose.
It shouldn't matter. Clarkson's last extension was in November 2020. I'm no expert, but I'm curious how the Clarkson renegotiation has been finalized, given the below rules:

(c) Renegotiations.
No Player Contract may be renegotiated except in accordance with the following:
(1) Subject to Sections 7(c)(2) and (3) below, a Player Contract covering a term of four (4) or more Seasons may be renegotiated no sooner than the third anniversary of the signing of the Contract.
(2) Subject to Section 7(c)(3) below, any Player Contract that has been renegotiated in accordance with Section 7(c)(1) above to provide for an increase in Salary or Incentive Compensation in any Salary Cap Year covered by the Contract of more than five percent (5%), or extended in accordance with Section 7(a) or (b) above, may not subsequently be renegotiated until the third anniversary of the signing of such Extension or Renegotiation.

I don’t really understand this off-season. I really don’t.

Like, if we wanted to acquire and retain the same number of (big) wings that we just did with big forwards and bigs (6), well at least they have lineup versatility to get them on the floor. Right now there are not enough minutes to go around for the investments the Jazz have made this off-season (the most expensive player on the team, a top-10 pick, and now a real offer sheet, in addition to retaining one of Hardy/Ainge’s most beloved players, and our incumbent best players in Lauri and Walker).

Furthermore, if the concern with sending an offer for Reaves was that the Lakers would match and the Jazz might be left under the salary floor, they probably could’ve done a version of this or another free agent offer to get to that floor rather easily.

All of these moves in a vacuum are okay-ish to good, but this has been clown shoes since the Collins deal. I don’t get it.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty obvious Ainge is stacking up tradeable assets which he can use when a star player comes available. FWIW I don't think Dame is in the cards though.

Room exception allows you to go over the cap, but not to preserve cap space. Gotta use the space first, otherwise it just eats into the cap space.
Well obviously that’s what they believe they are doing. Either they know more than us (likely) or they are ****ing up in a big way.

I’m guessing this is exempted from the NBA’s COVID response delaying the season after completing the bubble. He signed his last contract in what was effectively the delayed off-season of three years ago.

All of these moves in a vacuum are okay-ish to good, but this has been clown shoes since the Collins deal. I don’t get it.
Looking at his league shooting numbers and defensive versatility, I think it's safe to think Paul Reed can play with Kessler.

Markkanen and Hendricks can play the 3 just fine as well. So while the 4/5 is a bit crowded (Kessler, Reed, KO, JC), it should still be manageable until KO is now seemingly inevitably traded.

I’m guessing this is exempted from the NBA’s COVID response delaying the season after completing the bubble. He signed his last contract in what was effectively the delayed off-season of three years ago.
Oooooooh. Yeah, that could make sense

I'd hate for this deal to increase the last 2 years of JC's extension.