What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

Looking at his league shooting numbers and defensive versatility, I think it's safe to think Paul Reed can play with Kessler.

Markkanen and Hendricks can play the 3 just fine as well. So while the 4/5 is a bit crowded (Kessler, Reed, KO, JC), it should still be manageable until KO is now seemingly inevitably traded.
Never really paid much attention to him, but his defense out on the perimeter is impressive. It’s nice to know that if the Jazz are struggling with Kessler out there, they have a solid defensive option to turn to. Even if they keep KO, that’s not his game.

Based on news articles Clarksons New deal became official yesterday so it seems to be done.
Which would explain why there was no chatter about the Jazz being interested in Reed. DA waits until the opportune time to make the move, then he just makes it. No point in telegraphing it to the rest of the league.

I definitely like his style better than DL’s so far.

Oooooooh. Yeah, that could make sense

I'd hate for this deal to increase the last 2 years of JC's extension.
Looks like free agency opened November 20, 2020. If I’m remembering, we had announced he had (agreed to be) signed within 24 hours or less of opening, so I’d imagine they start the clock on T minus 11/20/20 (or whichever day the moratorium ended) and then give that much time past this moratorium.

Which would explain why there was no chatter about the Jazz being interested in Reed. DA waits until the opportune time to make the move, then he just makes it. No point in telegraphing it to the rest of the league.

I definitely like his style better than DL’s so far.
I thought we heard the jazz were interested in Reed a couple days ago.

Looks like free agency opened November 20, 2020. If I’m remembering, we had announced he had (agreed to be) signed within 24 hours or less of opening, so I’d imagine they start the clock on T minus 11/20/20 (or whichever day the moratorium ended) and then give that much time past this moratorium.
Makes sense.

Did a quick search for 2020 and "COVID" in the new CBA, but didn't find anything.

Yeah. I was going to counter something earlier, but then realized it was GVC and his CBA knowledge is much better than everyone else’s around here. . . so I just deleted it.
Ha!

Not anymore, really. I'm 2 CBAs behind at this point, and Larry Coon hasn't updated his CBA site for the new agreement, so I'm incredibly ignorant. I just recalled someone saying something about the 3-year anniversary recently, which seems to match what's in the new CBA. However, as infection has pointed out, those timelines don't make sense when counted from the delayed 2020 off-season.

Makes sense.

Did a quick search for 2020 and "COVID" in the new CBA, but didn't find anything.
Maybe not, but it doesn’t make much sense for either side to penalize players or teams for having Covid upend the normal offseason schedule back then. Would make sense that they’d factor that in somehow when starting the current offseason.

Maybe not, but it doesn’t make much sense for either side to penalize players or teams for having Covid upend the normal offseason schedule back then. Would make sense that they’d factor that in somehow when starting the current offseason.
I agree, and strongly suspect infection is right. 2020 off-season signing and extension dates have probably been effectively amended backward. Was just saying a quick search of the CBA didn't return confirmation of this.

This is an aggressive offer by the Jazz. I would be shocked if Philly matches as they didn't even play Reed much and it would put them in the luxury.

Reed is a unique player - the dude is great in transition and rarely settles for jumpers as he simply dripples to the rim (not many bigs can do it like Reed) and is crafty enough to get easy buckets in the paint. The fact he can also defend makes him really unique for a guy who isn't a starter.

I like this signing and would now like to get someone decent at the 3 as I feel we're a bit light there when Lauri is not on the floor (Fontecchio sucks).

One of the articles said if Philly matches it will cost them an additional 14 million in luxury tax. That is pricey.

Looking at his league shooting numbers and defensive versatility, I think it's safe to think Paul Reed can play with Kessler.

Markkanen and Hendricks can play the 3 just fine as well. So while the 4/5 is a bit crowded (Kessler, Reed, KO, JC), it should still be manageable until KO is now seemingly inevitably traded.
Sure/I hope so. I just think there were much clearer needs and at least one opportunity to take a shot and they didn’t. And if they weren’t keeping KO to begin with then maybe you let him go (there’s another way to pursue Reaves; I try not to belabor points but I think he could make an all-star game and would be the perfect piece here and it usually requires trying to make something happen).